PDA

View Full Version : Texas Nostalgia National at Yellowbelly

JT56
06-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Happening this Saturday at Yellowbelly. Gates open at 9am. I never raced here, so not sure how the track will handle the power, but looking forward to seeing a bunch of old school hotrods and having fun!:cool:

chevynut
06-05-2015, 09:40 AM
JT, anything happening in your area around November 10th-20th? I may be coming down that way to hunt deer east of Dallas.

JT56
06-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Some small car shows, but nothing big that I am aware of. Last year they had a big No Prep Drag Race at Kennadale (south of Dallas) where a lot of the OKC Street Outlaws raced...no camera's, just racing. I will keep looking and let you know.

Rick_L
06-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Yello Belly?

Is racing there like having brunch at Twin Peaks in Waco?

At least that's the way it once was.

JT56
06-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Rick I dont think its a place to be after dark! Glad its during the day!

Tabasco
06-06-2015, 05:04 AM
If you search Yellowbelly on you tube, there are several videos. Looks like an interesting place.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
06-06-2015, 05:33 AM
JT I wouldn't race that beauty at that track unless they let me run solo. Its very narrow and slick.

Cnut I wouldn't waste a trip from CO to hunt deer east of Dallas lol. There about the size a medium size dog. I'm afraid you might be disappointed.

chevynut
06-08-2015, 08:14 AM
Rocky, on the contrary this deer was shot there by the guy who invited me. He says the area hasn't been hunting in 20 years:

https://davidkadensadventures.shutterfly.com/pictures/772#769

06-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Thats a nice deer good luck!

06-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Jt did you make a run at yellowbelly?

JT56
06-10-2015, 05:58 AM
Jt did you make a run at yellowbelly?
I did go, but it appears I have ruined my torque converter! Yikes! It was fun...some nice and fast cars. When I originally had the converter done, my plans were for a smaller engine, smaller blower and lower boost...well all of that changed. Will be back on the road soon. Thanks for asking!

JT56
06-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Rocky, on the contrary this deer was shot there by the guy who invited me. He says the area hasn't been hunting in 20 years:

https://davidkadensadventures.shutterfly.com/pictures/772#769

CNut, that is a real nice Texas deer!

06-10-2015, 07:15 AM
I did go, but it appears I have ruined my torque converter! Yikes! It was fun...some nice and fast cars. When I originally had the converter done, my plans were for a smaller engine, smaller blower and lower boost...well all of that changed. Will be back on the road soon. Thanks for asking!

LOL let me rephrase the question. Now that you have seen cars run at that track would you run your baby at it lined up next to another car? Its been 30 years sense I was there watching a weekend race and at that time there was nothing even close to the HP your running and they got pretty loose at times. My older 2 cuz more like an uncle mentored me in hotrodding at a young age. He grew up in GP and that was his home track. He told me stories of running a T- bucket with big block and breaking the steering link on the way down the track. He said he won the race and had to get out and kick the tires around to get it turned off the track and back to the pits. Back in those days late 60's and early 70's they were running junk yard BB that cost 75$ to replace and didn't care about getting their car messed up it was cheap to replace also.

JT56
06-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Rockytopper, I am sure there are some pretty cool stories, near misses ect...I would roll out on the starting line, then put my foot in it. That race is during the heat of the day, so having an asphalt track...its just a peddle fest!

06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
JT to bad your ride is on the blink. Gas Monkey Live is hosting a car show Saturday and Drag racing Friday evening at Ennis this weekend. I have never heard of the sponsor but they are claiming it is a national event and folks are coming from the east and west coast. May all just be hype who knows. I'm thanking about taking my cutlass out Friday night and see if my (skinny buddy can get her in the low 13's) lol. With my big self driving 13.71 @ 101 is the best she ever done to date. Here is the link to the event. http://gasmonkeybarngrill.com/event/national-american-muscle-meet/

JT56
06-12-2015, 05:57 AM
Sounds like a good one. I have been to GM a couple of times...I would like to see my car in the 1/4, but not sure they would let me run(no roll cage, and only lap belts). If so I would get one run in lol! Good Luck with yours. Show us some pics. As long as it doesn't rain on Sunday, will be taking my buddies TT 63 nova to kennadale.

markm
06-12-2015, 06:06 AM
[QUOTE=JT56;24650]Sounds like a good one. I have been to GM a couple of times...I would like to see my car in the 1/4, but not sure they would let me run(no roll cage, and only lap belts). If so I would get one run in lol! Good Luck with yours. Show us some pics. As long as it doesn't rain on Sunday, will be taking my buddies TT 63 nova to kennadale.[/QUOT

My favorite people at the corrupt NHRA will allow lap belts only and no bar until you go 11.49, it used to be 12.0. One of my drag only Z28s has what appears to be an NHRA license plate with No Hot Rods Allowed spelled out below.

NickP
06-12-2015, 06:24 AM
JT, anything happening in your area around November 10th-20th? I may be coming down that way to hunt deer east of Dallas.How far East will you be? Town? I'm only 200 miles East of Dallas. It would be good to see you again. Will you be bringing your wife?

chevynut
06-12-2015, 08:21 AM
How far East will you be? Town? I'm only 200 miles East of Dallas. It would be good to see you again. Will you be bringing your wife?

Nick, I'm not sure exactly where this place is, but he said northeast of Dallas. Apparently he bought a 4000 square foot second home on 17 acres...he lives in NM near El Paso. He has a deer lease up there but that's about all I know about it. I don't know if Sandy would be coming or not, because I haven't even decided for sure if I'm going. We plan to go to SEMA this year, and if we do I'd have to come back and leave for TX right after that. She has a business to run. ;)

JT56
06-12-2015, 08:23 AM
As long as I N/T the car...no issues. For safety it needs more. I'm in the 6's (1/8 mile). I probably need to build a true race car and just leave this one for the street and occasional show.

markm
06-12-2015, 08:54 AM
As long as I N/T the car...no issues. For safety it needs more. I'm in the 6's (1/8 mile). I probably need to build a true race car and just leave this one for the street and occasional show.

I find in my Camaros that multiplying my 1/8 mile time by 1.57 gets my 1/4.

06-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Friday night tech at Ennis is a joke lol. just drive in pay the bucks 12 I thank they look under hood and say ya you got engine go race you just sign weavor....... I thank they say if you break 14 have to wear helmet.

JT56
06-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Friday night tech at Ennis is a joke lol. just drive in pay the bucks 12 I thank they look under hood and say ya you got engine go race you just sign weavor....... I thank they say if you break 14 have to wear helmet.

I wear a two piece suit and helmet anyway. Believe or not there was one guy at yellowbelly hot lapping his 1st gen camaro with a passenger and both had no helmets...crazy