PDA

View Full Version : 57 chevy pickup steering column length

Country Cadillac
06-15-2015, 06:52 AM
Mornin.....I've been getting a lot of different answers from companies on which length aftermarket column I should use on my 1/2 ton 57 and was hoping someone might be able to help. I have a MMII front end and will be using a column shift 4-speed auto trans......appreciate your time and help................Ray

chevynut
06-15-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm not familiar with the tri5 trucks, but it seems to me that you could just measure and order the column to the length you need. If I had asked this same question about my Nomad, the answer would have probably been 30". My setup worked best with a 35" column. Nothing is better than mocking up your steering and taking a measurement, imo.

The column length might differ depending on whether you want to push the steering wheel forward from stock, whether you have a tilt column, whether you have a steering box or R&P and the alignment of the rest of your steering. The reason you're probably getting different answers is the companies are probably making different assumptions.

Country Cadillac
06-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Chevynut.....Thanks for your response and opinion.....I have given the companies all the same info....including that it will be a tilt wheel and the truck has R&P. I will try the mock up that you mentioned and see what numbers that comes up with.....Ray