PDA

View Full Version : GM Alpha Platform and tri five chevys

Malvin
07-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Will the trifive bodies mount directly to the new GM Alpha Platform? Thanks

chevynut
07-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Surely you're kidding? :D

I don't even think the new GM cars have a frame. Perhaps a frame could be modified to accept the parts but I don't see why anyone would try it.

chevynut
07-31-2015, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure what you're looking for but lots of guys like a classic car with modern steering, suspension, and brakes. You can only do so much with bolt-on parts, but those are a big upgrade.

IMO the next step is to clip the original frame to accept the C4 Corvette suspension. Take a look at my CLASSIC EDGE Designs link up at the top of the page or in my signature for examples.

There is really no "direct bolt on" frame or platform available except aftermarket tri5 chassis that cost $15K and up.

Malvin
07-31-2015, 03:18 PM
I read an article about the Alpha platform in My Classic Garage.

Rick_L
07-31-2015, 04:18 PM
I didn't even know what an "Alpha" platform was when I first read this thread.

I googled it and found it's the platform for the current Camaro and the Cadillac ATS and CTS. It's McPherson strut in the front and a "5 link" in the rear. It is unibody, no frame. 110-114.9" wheelbase, so that's in the ball park. No torque tube like a C5/C6 Corvette.

I don't see where McPherson struts do anything for a 55-57 Chevy. The IRS may be of interest, especially if the supply of C4 IRS dries up relative to the increasing availability of Gen5 Camaro ones. I think the new Morrison IRS uses some components from the Camaro. I don't know how the Camaro IRS compares technically to a C4 IRS.

chevynut
07-31-2015, 05:04 PM
I don't know how the Camaro IRS compares technically to a C4 IRS.

I believe it's pretty strong, but one problem is the width. It's WAY wider than a C4.

Rick_L
07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Not surprised at the width, I wonder if it's practical to narrow it?

If not, it would seem that the best choices are still the C4, or the Morrison aftermarket IRS, since the C5/C6 setups are too wide too, and hard to narrow.

chevynut
07-31-2015, 10:55 PM
The 5th Gen. Camaro IRS seems to be a lot like the C5/6 IRS. It has upper and lower a-arms and halfshafts but it's all steel instead of aluminum. The rear track width is 64.1" and wheel offset I found to be +35mm (1.38"). That makes the wheel mounting surface 66.85", almost 7" wider than stock tri5 and almost 4" wider than a C4 Corvette!!!!

One would have to build a custom frame and custom halfshafts and swaybar to use it. Like anything else, it could be done.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/josht442/CamaroIRS.jpg