PDA

View Full Version : Painting the engine

Bow tie downunder
09-02-2015, 12:42 AM
After about 40 hours of smoothing the engine and gear box I finally applied the colour .
Im happy with the resulthttp://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4881&stc=1

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
09-02-2015, 05:33 AM
nice work, looks great. :cool:

chevynut
09-02-2015, 05:54 AM
40 hours? We sure do some crazy stuff, don't we? ;) Looks good.

bobbybelair
09-02-2015, 06:15 AM
What primer and paint did you use?

Bow tie downunder
09-02-2015, 01:41 PM
I started with Prepsol followed with a chemical aluminium cleaner ,etch primer ,PPG base and clear coat ,
Mick

Kswartz
09-02-2015, 04:08 PM
Really nice work, looks really cool.

bobbybelair
09-02-2015, 04:13 PM
bow tie, do you remember which etch primer you used (I assume you used etch because the tranny case is aluminum?) Always looking for a good aluminum primer that really sticks.

Rick_L
09-02-2015, 04:43 PM
40 hours? We sure do some crazy stuff, don't we?

That's very true.

Looks nice.

JT56
09-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Man is that shiny;Looks great. I know most of these cars are not a daily driver...do you think painting the transmissions hold heat in? Just wonder from the factory transmission and transfer cases are left alone?

chevynut
09-02-2015, 05:39 PM
A coat of paint will slightly decrease the heat transfer from the case to the air, but imo it's negligible. And most of the heat is dissipated through the transmission cooler anyhow. The factory leaves them bare because it's cheaper than painting.

Bow tie downunder
09-04-2015, 04:18 AM
Bobbybelair, the cleaner is a synthetic acid like deoxidine. The etch primer is called AQ steel I'm told it's an Aussie product and I purchased it from a company called AQ Lacquers. I met these people when I was looking for someone to seal the polished aluminium suspension parts. I was happy with the work they did on the polished aluminium.

Bow tie downunder
09-04-2015, 04:21 AM
We sure do crazy things, 40 hours is not too bad. I've had the car 10 years! Watching your progress has inspired me.

Bow tie downunder
09-04-2015, 04:27 AM
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4892&stc=1This is after 3 mist coats of etch primer.

chevynut
09-04-2015, 07:34 AM
I met these people when I was looking for someone to seal the polished aluminium suspension parts. I was happy with the work they did on the polished aluminium.

Mick, what exactly did you do on your polished suspension parts? I've been trying to figure that out so I can start polishing mine.

Bow tie downunder
09-07-2015, 04:32 AM
Mick, what exactly did you do on your polished suspension parts? I've been trying to figure that out so I can start polishing mine.
Hi Chevynut
Sorry for the late reply .The company that did the aluminium clear coating is called Ult1mate .they are on the net.The product is USA made .I am waiting for a reply from them as to what the product is called
The Ult1mate web site shows the clear being applied.The product is guaranteed for 10 years .What I have learnt is that preparation is the most important part.I prepared some of the suspension parts using wet and dry 600 to 1000 grit paper .I then buffed them to a chrome look finish .Some of the other parts were sent out and were buffed without the sanding process ,the parts had a chrome look finish but after the clear coat was applied you could see the difference in the finish.The finish was excellent .The polishing was something I loved about the Rick Roush chassis

Bow tie downunder
09-07-2015, 04:38 AM
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4914&stc=1

chevynut
09-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Hi Chevynut
Sorry for the late reply .The company that did the aluminium clear coating is called Ult1mate .they are on the net.The product is USA made .I am waiting for a reply from them as to what the product is called. The Ult1mate web site shows the clear being applied.

Hi Mick, thanks for the info. I'll check it out....your rearend parts look great. I'll bet you have a lot of hours in polishing those parts! Any tips on polishing?

Bow tie downunder
09-15-2015, 02:29 AM
I have a Baldor buffer with 10 inch wheels ,it does a great job but it can be very dangerous .I recommend hand polish with fine wet and dry and spend as little time as possible on the buffer. Baldor has instructions on how to buff safely.

chevynut
10-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Mick, I have been trying to get ahold of Ult1mate for a few weeks now. Gerard Short replied to my first e-mail and said they have an applicator set up in Illinois, and could also supply product so I could do it myself if I had the equipment. I have been trying to get ahold of him since his e-mail and I can't get a response. It also looks like their website is down.

I looked at their FB page and sent a message there too. They show a boat prop that was in Sydney Harbor for 3 months but I'm a little skeptical of that test...aren't boat props often made of stainless steel? That one doesn't look like aluminum to me but maybe it is ;).

Any idea what's going on?