PDA

View Full Version : Upper control arms question

bobbybelair
09-08-2015, 06:22 PM
I have to replace the upper control arm bushings on my 57, and it got me to thinking. I know a lot of people change to an aftermarket upper control arm. This gives more adjustability for front end alignment. I have stock suspension and drums and the alignment is fine. I'm not ever going to run anything but a small block but I could put discs on the front some day. Is there any advantage to changing the upper control arms since I will have them out? If so, which ones?

Rick_L
09-08-2015, 07:32 PM
The reason for using aftermarket control arms is not brakes or what engine you have, it's steering and wheel alignment.

Virtually all of the aftermarket control arms have more caster built in. More caster will make the car track straighter and be more stable at speed. More caster also increases steering effort at slow speeds, so you really only want that if you have power steering.

The stock caster specification is 0 to 1 degrees positive. On some cars that is hard to actually achieve. The aftermarket arms typically have 3-5 degrees additional positive caster.

bobbybelair
09-09-2015, 06:46 AM
OK. So if my front end seems fine I'll just mark the shims so I get them back in the same as before. I don't know the specs of my setup but it tracks and turns fine, tires wear evenly. I am hoping I don't need an alignment after I do it.