PDA

View Full Version : HEI distributors

bobbybelair
09-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Looking for a recommendation for an HEI distributor. Stock 283 4 barrel WCFB.

Maddog
09-17-2015, 10:05 AM
I would use stock distributor with Pertronix conversion. HEI may hit firewall with engine in stock location

markm
09-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Or stock distributor with a Mallory Unilite conversion, note switch to 57 Ford/ Mallory ballast resistor. Unlike losers on the other site I would not use Skip White Chinese junk.

bobbybelair
09-17-2015, 10:51 AM
I have been expecting cnut to recommend Skip White any second now!

markm
09-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Calling that junk out is what led to my demise on the other site. I hurt a couple of hacks feelings.

bobbybelair
09-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Oh, believe me, I remember!

Rick_L
09-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Not sure there's a choice out there I really like. The concept of changing over a 57-74 points distributor is probably still the most attractive to me, but the only guy that does them is not a steady guy as far as deliveries.

I don't think much of large cap HEIs. I also don't think there's much value for the MSD "ready to run" stuff.

Maddog
09-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Not sure there's a choice out there I really like. The concept of changing over a 57-74 points distributor is probably still the most attractive to me, but the only guy that does them is not a steady guy as far as deliveries.

I don't think much of large cap HEIs. I also don't think there's much value for the MSD "ready to run" stuff.

The pertronix have been flawless, at least in my years experience with them. I also prefer the look of the stock dist with black cap. Points will work fine on that stock engine, no need for anything fancy or pricey.

Rick_L
09-17-2015, 07:58 PM
The Pertronix has no performance advantage (hotter spark). But you may not need hotter spark anyway.

Used to be, the Pertronix II needed you to hold the switch in the "run" position a few seconds before attempting to start the engine. Have they fixed that? Probably not a big deal if you know, frustrating if you don't.

The "Dave's" small body HEI has a stock appearance, and uses a GM magnetic pickup and module that you can buy at most any auto supply if you have a failure on the road. Try that with an MSD distributor which has the same performance.

Maddog
09-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Never heard about holding the switch. My cars all start as normal and do run better. There's no "magic" ignition(stock), it either is working or not.

Maddog
09-17-2015, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=Rick_L;26933]The Pertronix has no performance advantage (hotter spark). But you may not need hotter spark anyway.

QUOTE]

A few years back I changed one of mine, a stock 1968 Buick Riviera and saw a real performance improvement. After I bought the car it had a surge on the freeway around 70 mph and it would ping. The timing was such that I'm sure the previous owner had de-tuned it due to the pinging issue. Engine ran rather sluggish as expected with little advance. I wanted the surge fixed, I'm thinking bad plug(s) or wire(s). But I wanted to eliminate the points anyway so I installed a Pertronix. I always make one change at a time so I can pin point what the problem was. I installed the Pertronix and kept the timing the same thinking the engine had too much compression for the octane. Too my surprise and delight the surge was now gone and so was the pinging, yahoo. I was able to add some more initial timing WITHOUT any pinging. The engine ran much better, due to the additional timing. But the pinging disappearing kind of amazed me, I thought and still believe the Pertronix altered the "spark" in such a way to avoid detonation. The engine ran so good now that I didn't bother changing the plugs or wires, I didn't see any reason to. The Pertronix does change some thing, what ever it was it worked well in this case.

markm
09-18-2015, 06:16 AM
I have two early Mustangs that were my Dads with Pertronix. The 66 came that way and the 68 Dad s 68 [bought new] I converted about ten years ago. Both work as well as a Ford can.