PDA

View Full Version : 55 LT1 fuel pump options

My55
10-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Hey y'all. Looking for low buck options to convert my original fuel system to handle the high pressure demand of the electronic fuel injection of the LT1 5.7 liter. Probably would like to keep original tank ( I know I need a return line and some way to vent) unless there's some cheaper option with an in tank pump. All ideas welcome! Thanks in advance!:):D

Rick_L
10-03-2015, 11:25 AM
To me the best option is a new tank with a pump in it. from Tanks Inc. If your car has the original tank it needs to be replaced anyway, and if you have a new stock style tank someone will want it. The Tanks Inc. tank is not much more than a new stock style tank. The in tank pump compares favorably to an external pump. It's just the best way.

chevynut
10-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Take a look at Tanks, Inc. They have a retrofit EFI pump setup that you can put into your existing tank for about $250. That's about the cheapest you're going to be able to do this. Also look at what Rock Valley Tanks has to offer these days. I think Aeromotive now has a retrofit EFI pump too but it's pretty expensive.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Your biggest problem is going to be baffling the tank, which you can't really do with a stock tank. So you might have issues as the fuel level drops. I built my own pump unit and it cost me as much as the Tanks, Inc. setup so I wouldn't recommend doing that. A pump alone costs almost as much as their pump unit. The tray in their pump unit helps retain fuel around the pickup.

You might want to watch this to see what's involved, but again the FAST setup is more expensive than the Tanks, INC setup but has more included like a regulator, wiring, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KquGi4HTkw

chevynut
10-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Another way to do this is just buy the whole tank with the pump in it from Tanks, Inc. Not a bad deal for the new stainless tank, pump, sender for around $500 total, $210 for the tank, $225 for the pump, and $25 for the sender. And it's baffled.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=352/category_id=144/mode=prod/prd352.htm

My55
10-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I'm definitely going to check out those sites. I read somewhere of a guy using the drain hole to feed to a separate container then to feed a high pressure in line pump. Then using the original feed line as the return. Then I would still have to figure out a vent? My OE tank is still in pretty good shape. I wonder if someone sells a sender for this method with a vent in it?:):D

All I need is more time and lots of money!!! Lol

My55
10-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'm definitely going to check out those sites. I read somewhere of a guy using the drain hole to feed to a separate container then to feed a high pressure in line pump. Then using the original feed line as the return. Then I would still have to figure out a vent? My OE tank is still in pretty good shape. I wonder if someone sells a sender for this method with a vent in it?:):D

All I need is more time and lots of money!!! Lol

I looked at FAST and TanksInc pa. I think I like the TanksInc pa because it looks less destructive to your old tank and it has a baffle. I wonder if there's clearance on top for this install plus is there an area to mount this flush on OE tank on top? :):D

My55
10-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I looked at FAST and TanksInc pa. I think I like the TanksInc pa because it looks less destructive to your old tank and it has a baffle. I wonder if there's clearance on top for this install plus is there an area to mount this flush on OE tank on top? :):D

All member info on this appreciated on this topic of best low budget fuel pump swap for LT1 or LS into 55 chev OE tank setup!!! Thanks in advance!:):D

Rick_L
10-03-2015, 03:32 PM
You don't need anything special for a vent. Just the stock vent in the fuel tank cap's seat.

Also FWIW I don't think that $210 EFI tank is stainless, it's galvanized steel. Which is just fine.

My55
10-03-2015, 05:07 PM
You don't need anything special for a vent. Just the stock vent in the fuel tank cap's seat.

Also FWIW I don't think that $210 EFI tank is stainless, it's galvanized steel. Which is just fine.

Thanks Rick to you and Chevynut! I now have more options to choose from.:):D

chevynut
10-04-2015, 08:14 AM
I don't think that $210 EFI tank is stainless, it's galvanized steel. Which is just fine.

From their website....

Coated galvanized steel then Powder Coated Silver.