PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel Wire braided power steering hose

Mike56
10-06-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm getting ready to build power steering hoses. I saw two tri-five's at Bowling Green with braided power steering hoses blown off their a/n fittings. Is there a problem with this material for power steering or was it a workmanship issue when they made the hoses ?

chevynut
10-06-2015, 07:23 PM
They probably didn't tighten the fitting nuts down enough. It's like making a loose crimp on a crimped hose end. I don't think any of the manufacturers give good instructions for how tight to make these connections. These fitting are some of the best on the market if used correctly.

The other issue is that today there's several different manufacturers of stainless braided hose, and each of them require their own hose ends. If you try to mix and match them you may find they don't work together.

These stainless braided hoses are used extensively in aircraft and race cars, and if assembled correctly they are very reliable.

JT56
10-07-2015, 04:52 AM
I have a used setup if your interested. I went with a hydraboost so dont need it anymore. PM me if interested.

Joey

Rick_L
10-07-2015, 05:46 AM
I know that some manufacturers have reuseable hose ends but I prefer crimped ends for high pressure. The rest is as Cnut said, you can't mix different manufacturer's hose and fittings, and you have to prep the hose and assemble the fitting correctly.

Most if not all of the stainless braided hose for the pressure used on power steering is going to have a Teflon liner.

Bitchin'57
10-07-2015, 10:57 AM
I would recommend using teflon lined stainless braided hose for at least the high pressure side, along with steel fittings of the same brand.

markm
10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I had the braided steel #10 fuel line on my race car turn into a soaker hose in 4 years. My Dads Mustang ever faster, I don't think some this stuff is up to par.

Rick_L
10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Modern name brand hoses don't do this. If in doubt, use the Teflon lined stuff for fuel too.

Mike56
10-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your experiences and advice.