PDA

View Full Version : BC/CC

DocHarley
10-28-2015, 02:42 PM
When doing BC/CC is the paint wet sanded to remove orange peel, trash etc. then clear coat is applied, sand and buff the clear. Or, is only the clear coat sanded and buffed and never the paint? Thanks for the help!

Rick_L
10-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Only the clear is sanded and buffed.

If you sanded metallic base coat, you'd be changing the look because you'd be exposing more of the metallic particles.
If you have a spot that had a big nib, or an insect, or that needed repair of any sort - you fix it and shoot more basecoat over it.

DocHarley
10-28-2015, 03:41 PM
That's what I though, only the clear coat gets sanded. Somebody told me at a car show this past weekend the paint has to be sanded to remove orange peel because it would show though the clear which kinda makes since to me.

Rick_L
10-28-2015, 04:52 PM
I guess you could have so much orange peel in the base that it could show through the clear. In that case you either need more clear so that it can be leveled, or if really bad you'd need to start over.

Base is really easy to spray, there's no need to "bomb" it on, so excessive orange peel shouldn't be a problem. Better to spray it "dry", not wet, and this usually avoids orange peel.

DocHarley
10-28-2015, 04:55 PM
That makes since. Thanks Rick.

Bitchin'57
10-29-2015, 07:56 AM
If you sand the base coat, you will likely have adhesion problems.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
10-29-2015, 10:25 AM
The clear has to be shot within 15 or 30 minutes of the base does it not to work proper?

I know from watching my relative who owns a paint and body shop for almost 40 years now paint his show truck way back when a 1957 Chevy mirror black using lacquer he shot the base coat very heavy even had runs he didn't care. It was all sanded smooth before the multiple layers of clear were shot over it.

chevynut
10-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Rocky if it's not metallic it's okay to sand it before clear. Urethane basecoats are different than lacquers.

DocHarley
10-30-2015, 05:39 PM
clear must be applied 15-30 min after paint? I read overnight up to two days is recommended before applying clear????

Rick_L
10-30-2015, 06:15 PM
Doc, the time window for applying clear depends on the materials used. Usually it's 24 hours max, but read the p-sheets for what you're using. If the base has an activator, that sometimes extends the window.

I don't know of any base coat that's recommended to be sanded prior to clear, at least without spraying more base coat after sanding. Even if it's a solid color. Again, there may be exceptions, so consult those p-sheets.

You can clear lacquer, but lacquer is NOT bc/cc, it's a totally different animal. Any lacquer coat can be sanded, though it's not a good idea to sand lacquer metallic for the same reasons as already stated.

DocHarley
11-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks!