PDA

View Full Version : engine fluutters and quits in gear

rontof
11-15-2015, 07:41 PM
55 belair 2dr ht 350 eng turbo 350 tranny
can anyone help in diagnosing the following problem

car starts and idles fine but when I drive a mile in drive it flutters and stalls if I take the load of by shifting into neutral it will run.
I have checked the vac tube from the carb and it is tight.

when I finally got home last night by driving til it quit , restarting and going another thousand feet all the way home there were some tinny noises from underneath
thanks

chevynut
11-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Sounds like you might not be getting enough fuel to the carb. There's enough at an idle and it can fill the fuel bowl, then when you drive you empty the fuel bowl and it dies. Maybe the pickup in the tank is plugged? Or your fuel pump is bad? Next time it stalls take the fuel line off the carb and crank the engine and see if you get any fuel. If not, take the inlet of the pump off and run a hose from the pump to a gas can and see if it runs then. If it doesn't, you have a bad pump. If it does, it's between the pump and the tank.

JT56
11-16-2015, 06:15 AM
When you accelerate does it back fire through the carb? This would be a good sign of lean pop...not enough fuel. Does it have a choke? That would be another thing to look at.

Rick_L
11-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Adding to what Chevynut said and first thing to check because it's easy - check to make sure the tank is vented.

chevynut
11-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Good idea Rick. That would do the same thing....just drive it without the cap and see if the problem goes away. ;)

rontof
11-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your replys to my issue.
Changed a couple of vacuum hoses today thought

rontof
11-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your replys to my issue.

Changed a couple of vacuum hoses today thought I had it made and then it quit on me. I put it in neutral started it and got it off the road.

Carb does seem dry but starts right up. No backfire through carb. It seems to run until it gets to operating temp?