PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood Brakes

Bluegrass Trifive
11-30-2015, 02:19 PM
I got a great "Black Friday" deal today on Wilwood brakes for my 57. MVP Motorsports had them at about 10% off. I actually purchased through Summit by their price match policey. Saved about $300!

markm
11-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Good luck on install, I have recently seen and heard of issues with rear disk kits.

chevynut
11-30-2015, 03:14 PM
So those Wilwood brakes run $3000? :eek:

Bluegrass Trifive
11-30-2015, 05:56 PM
So those Wilwood brakes run $3000? :eek: Yes they're pricey! I've got 18" wheels with a more open design so I need a bigger rotor and caliper for a more balanced look. I priced all the Vette stuff and by the time I bought all the componets I was going to be up towards that neighborhood anyway. Finally I just think they look better.

Bluegrass Trifive
11-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Good luck on install, I have recently seen and heard of issues with rear disk kits.

Thanks for the heads up.What do I need to be looking out for?

smooth 56
12-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Been looking at the same thing for my hard top.The only issue I think is with the drop spendall's you need to use Hidts for the Wilwood breaks.

markm
12-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up.What do I need to be looking out for?

Soft pedal and pedal height issues.

Rick_L
12-01-2015, 09:15 AM
With Wilwood or with the Cadillac conversion calipers? Big difference.

Bluegrass Trifive
12-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Soft pedal and pedal height issues. The calipers involved in my kits are very commonly used by them. I will be attending the PRI show in Indy next weekend and I already planned to speak to the Wilwood folks about master cylinder sizing, pedal ratio etc. Hopefully I have no issue. There are tons of cars running around with them so there shouldn't be any kind of major problem.... I hope!

Bitchin'57
12-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Bluegrass, what size rotors did you get for the front and rear? As far as calipers, did you get 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears? Are you going with power assist brakes, manual brakes, or hydroboost?

Bluegrass Trifive
12-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Bluegrass, what size rotors did you get for the front and rear? As far as calipers, did you get 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears? Are you going with power assist brakes, manual brakes, or hydroboost? Fronts are 14" 6 piston, rears are 13" 4 piston. My car is a 85 C4 Corvette based conversion. My kits numbers are 140-11919-D and 140-11920-D. Be careful if you want to go with 14" on the fronts as wheel clearance could be a problem. Wilwood has dimensional drawings posted on their website and I used that data to make poster board templates to check the clearance with. I've got 18" wheels and they had considerable room. If you had 17" or smaller I'd be very careful. In fact they say they won't work on smaller than 17" wheels. I originally planned hydra-boost brakes but I spoke last year at the PRI Show with a Wilwood designer and he strongly advised against it as he felt they wouldn't at all be necessary. I'm going to discuss with them more this year (next weekend) and try to get the master cylinder size and type nailed down. I've really liked hydra-boost brakes on the vehicles I've had them on so I'm still leaning in that direction.