PDA

View Full Version : U-joints for aluminum shafts

chevynut
12-26-2015, 05:27 PM
I was shopping for new u-joints for my C4 halfshafts a while ago and I noticed that they specify "zinc phosphate coated" u-joints for aluminum halfshafts and driveshafts. They're OVER THREE TIMES the price of "uncoated" ones. How big of a deal is this?

My Denny's aluminum driveshaft has UNCOATED 1350's in it.

Here's what Denny's says about it...

"IMPORTANT NOTE DISCLAIMER: Technically the 1984 to 1996 Corvette Aluminum Driveshafts and Half Shafts should use the COATED Universal Joints (see Spicer 5-3613X and 5-3615X) but it seems that many 1984 to 1996 Corvette owners have used the Spicer 5-1310X and 5-1350X UNCOATED universal joints with great success. They DID NOT experience any corrosion or problems in using the uncoated u-joints in their aluminum shafts. While it is not recommended to use uncoated u-joints it seems that it is commonly done without any detrimental effects. Please make your choice carefully. "

Bluegrass Trifive
12-26-2015, 07:26 PM
I was shopping for new u-joints for my C4 halfshafts a while ago and I noticed that they specify "zinc phosphate coated" u-joints for aluminum halfshafts and driveshafts. They're OVER THREE TIMES the price of "uncoated" ones. How big of a deal is this?

My Denny's aluminum driveshaft has UNCOATED 1350's in it.

Here's what Denny's says about it...

"IMPORTANT NOTE DISCLAIMER: Technically the 1984 to 1996 Corvette Aluminum Driveshafts and Half Shafts should use the COATED Universal Joints (see Spicer 5-3613X and 5-3615X) but it seems that many 1984 to 1996 Corvette owners have used the Spicer 5-1310X and 5-1350X UNCOATED universal joints with great success. They DID NOT experience any corrosion or problems in using the uncoated u-joints in their aluminum shafts. While it is not recommended to use uncoated u-joints it seems that it is commonly done without any detrimental effects. Please make your choice carefully. "
I've never used the first coated joint on anything I've ever worked on. Late model stock cars, street cars, pickups, and Corvettes,I've never had ANY kind of issue what so ever.

Rick_L
12-27-2015, 06:31 AM
I would think it's only an issue if you drive in the snow in areas where they salt the roads.

markm
12-27-2015, 07:47 AM
I recently worked on a 71 GMC with an aluminum sander and it does corrode, but I seriously doubt your Nomad will ever see the elements. I agree with Rick and Bluegrass.

WagonCrazy
12-27-2015, 11:11 AM
I have uncoated 1350's in mine,but it hasn't seen any road time yet. I didn't know about this coated requirement...

So I'll just put some antisieze around the outside of the cap, and call it a day (when I do the final assembly).

chevynut
12-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys, I pretty much concluded that it might be an issue for a daily driver in the snow and rain, but probably not for my Nomad. I just thought it was strange that Denny's didn't even use them in their aluminum driveshafts.