PDA

View Full Version : More quater panels blues....

DocHarley
12-30-2015, 04:54 AM
6 months working on this stupid quarter panel. This is the second one I have installed, removed the first one because I thought I installed it incorrectly but the second one has the same problem area. I'm guessing when they made the mold for this "not so golden star" panel somebody was on drugs. The included picture shows the problem area I'm dealing with. I noticed every 55 I've seen that had new golden star quarter installed has the same problem. Wish I was not so anal so this would not bother me but it does.

Can you see what I'm talking about in this picture? If not, then I wish I was you.

Thanks for letting me vent before I exploded. lol

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb214/DocHarley/quarter.jpg (http://s206.photobucket.com/user/DocHarley/media/quarter.jpg.html)

MP&C
12-30-2015, 05:21 AM
Wheel opening formed improperly in the stamping dies.......

chevynut
12-30-2015, 07:12 AM
You guys must be WAY pickier than I am because I'm not seeing it in the pics. Is it the "V" in the reflection indicating a high spot at the back of the wheel opening? I don't remember anyone else complaining about that area. :confused:

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/chevrolet/1955-chevrolet-092.jpg

Rick_L
12-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Guess I'd have to see a close up with it and a real one to really comment.

I've seen similar complaints but never a good definition of what's wrong.

The Sherman panel is not perfect there, the shape is right but the peaks are too smooth.

markm
12-30-2015, 08:23 AM
I was not real happy in this area either, but cannot see anything in picture. I was just happy to have metal again. My quarters were cut out 12 inches above stock lip. With the 10 inch shackles I believe they were running 44s.

DocHarley
12-30-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm pointing out the "wave" in the panel, above the wheel opening back side.

I find it amazing how some people can't see imperfections (wish I was like that) and some do. Funny how the mind works.

Chevynut,

the picture you posted also has waves in the quarter panel but not as bad as the one I posted.

Also, look at the reflection of the parking spot white line at the door, fender and quarter panel. Do you see how it does not line up to the fender but does at the quarter panel. That's another imperfection that drives me crazy and has made me a mad man trying to eliminate on my car. It must also bother the Japanese's because the refection on my wifes Lexus lines up perfect!

I'm guessing I was dropped on my head to many times when I was a kid and this kind of stuff that bothers me is the result of brain damage. :p

chevynut
12-30-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm one to pick out defects too, and I sometimes wish I didn't see them. ;) These kinds of defects are best seen in person, imo. When you move around and look at the car the reflections change. That's when the defects show up to me...like chrome on a bumper. It can look great in a picture, but can be wavy and you don't see it unless you move around. I can see a wave in the line reflected in the turquoise 55 I posted, but it's hard to tell what that line is. I wonder if it would look wavy in person or not. The panels on these cars are not perfectly straight either.

What bothers me more than that is the front fender being too long on both cars, and the obvious discontinuity in the reflection on the fender of the turquoise one!! :)

Rick_L
12-30-2015, 11:47 AM
I see the "wave" now. I thought you were trying to highlight the wheel cutout with your markup.

Is it a low spot as it appears to me? It probably would require some stretching.

It's probably quite difficult to fix this once the quarter panel is installed because the wheel tub is in the way - I guess you could remove the wheel tub.

MP&C
12-30-2015, 09:08 PM
It's all in that reflection. You can see the tail end of the wheel opening has a pucker above it. Needs some stretching in the reverse..