PDA

View Full Version : T5 for 57 chev 150

Barking Frog
01-14-2016, 03:37 PM
I would like to install a T5 Camaro V8 WC in my 57 150. I have a S10 tail shaft to use to move the shifter forward. I am using a electric speedo but am not sure what to do since the pulse indicator for the speedo is in a different location for the S10 housing.

Rick_L
01-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the site!

I have heard of doing what you have in mind, haven't done it myself and don't know specifics. I think many who have done this wanted to keep a mechanical speedo.

If you need to move the location of the toothed wheel on the shaft, there are some options. One thing you could possibly do is use industrial "bearing collars" to locate the wheel in the new spot. Industrial adhesive might also work.

If you are able to post some photos and dimensions, then maybe I could help.

markm
01-15-2016, 06:43 AM
I believe there is two styles of bell housing, one requires a lot less work.

chevynut
01-15-2016, 08:36 AM
I guess I'm missing what the issue is :confused:. If you have an S10 tailshaft wouldn't it have the right speedo location? Why can't you use the S10 tailshaft and housing? Other options would be a GPS speedo or using some other speedo sensor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-gps-50-2?seid=srese1&gclid=CPPQpP-frMoCFZOBaQodyRQLxQ

markm
01-15-2016, 09:13 AM
The Camaro has the shifter mounted too far back for most applications.

Rick_L
01-15-2016, 10:37 AM
I think Cnut's point is that to do this conversion you may need both the S-10 tailhousing and the S-10 output shaft - and that will have the speedo stuff lined up. I don't know what compatibility problems that may have internally, if any.

You will need a conventional bellhousing and not a Camaro T-5 bellhousing, because that's what the S-10 shifter location is based on.

The other half of a T-5 trans conversion is that it's a weak transmission. Chevy never would put them behind a 350 for that reason.

chevynut
01-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Mark, are you responding to a different conversation or are you drunk today? :)

We're talking about transmission tailshafts with Frog, and you bring up something about a bellhousing. Then you mention the shifter being too far back, which we already knew from Frog's first post. Then Rick explains that you need both the tailshaft and housing, which I thought Frog already had so I was confused what his issue was. So you reply with a bunch of irrelevant stuff about engines and rearends in Camaros. :)

Rick_L
01-15-2016, 04:50 PM
Aren't we irritable today?

I thought markm's comments were constructive, even if part was a repeat - which is pretty common on these threads. Actually I think repeats are constructive to some OPs because it gives them confidence in the replies.

chevynut
01-15-2016, 05:06 PM
I guess you don't understand what it means to joke around and give people a little shit, huh Rick? I'm not irritable at all...did you miss the smilies in my post like you usually do? Read the thread from the top and try to follow the conversation. I thought it was funny.

Rick_L
01-15-2016, 05:58 PM
I don't think you know how to do a joke sometimes, it escapes me.

It's a joke as long as you look superior.

chevynut
01-16-2016, 08:31 AM
Nothing markm said attempted to address the original question, get it now?

The above sounded like this to me...lol: :)

Frog: Can someone give me directions to McDonalds, I'm hungry.
Rick: Go down the street and ask that cop.
Mark: I like their ice cream.
Me: Which McDonalds are you looking for?
Mark: I think they should have built one on this end of town.
Rick: There are several McDonalds' in this town.
Mark: McDonalds opened their first store in the 1950's and now are in every state and have served billions of hamburgers.

LOL! Too funny. Seems you're the one who's always irritable. Sorry if my joking somehow makes you feel inferior, maybe you should go work on your car. ;)

Barking Frog
01-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your comment, I've thought about splicing a collar on the shaft to locate the speedo in the right location. I could use the S-10 output shaft but that would defeat using the V8 WC Camaro trans which is stronger than the S-10. I'm thinking I should maybe forget about using the T-5 and just go with a TKO.

markm
01-16-2016, 09:06 AM
Cnut has just trying to get me rattled because I liked the gray interior color better and I told him. With him its all good until you take issue with him.

chevynut
01-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Mark, I really don't give a rat's behind what you like or don't like. Your tastes are stuck in 1970. :)

But thanks for the irrelevant feedback anyhow.

markm
01-16-2016, 09:17 AM
I bought my TKO 600 from Jim at Hanlon Motorsports, Good price and a knowledgeable guy. They use the same output spline as a c-6 For, if you have access to one. I love the gearing, but 3 gear at 6000 rpm is sometimes a challenge.

markm
01-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Mark, I really don't give a rat's behind what you like or don't like. Your tastes are stuck in 1970. :)

But thanks for the irrelevant feedback anyhow.

That the nicest thing you have ever said to me, I spent a shit load of extra money trying to make my cars look like they were built then.

chevynut
01-16-2016, 10:00 AM
The other option is a T56 if you want a 6-speed with double overdrive. It depends on how you want to use your car. The F-body versions have the sifter too far aft, but it can be moved forward with a $300 kit. Or you can get the T56 Magnum which allows you to move the shifter in multiple holes. The other issue is the T56 takes a different bellhousing, whereas the TKO can be bolted right to any bellhousing that accepts a Muncie. But if you need a bellhousing anyhow that really doesn't matter. I put my Viper T56 in my Nomad before there were any specific bellhousings, using a steel adapter from Keisler Engineering. Again, it depends on how you want to use the car and how much strength you need/want. The Camaro T56 is rated at 450 ft-lb, theViper T56 is rated at (I think) 650 ft-lb and I think the T56 Magnum is supposedly 700.

markm
01-16-2016, 10:22 AM
I did not have to change scattershield, clutch, or pressure plate when changing from Super T10 to TKO 600.