PDA

View Full Version : output shaft relation to frame

Classicgary
02-29-2016, 03:51 PM
OK, original frame under is junk. don't ask just go with me...
new frame, already narrowed AND the bellhousing frame mounts have been removed.
I was going to install the big block with a stock '57 bellhousing and a dummy 4 speed,
into the original frame with all the appropriate mounts, make the side mounts, then make up tranny crossmember
mounting brackets to.....then, have a crossmember to hang the T400/BBC from. BUT, I'm thinking
I'm getting too damn old for all that. !! LOL.
SO, does anybody have a BBC/T400 combo that can give me a measurement of the centerline of the output
shaft to the ground, then the measurement of the top of the frame to the ground, so i can figure out the tranny crossmember brackets
without crawling around on my back and installing the BBB/T400 in the old frame, removing it then changing frames, then installing
it in the new frame.
Yes lots of words, just trying to be clear on what i'm doing.
Thanks, Gary

chevynut
02-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Just set it so the engine is at a 4 degree angle.

Rick_L
02-29-2016, 06:21 PM
You need more than the angle, which is correct. You need the engine to be at stock height or very close to it.

Bihili
03-02-2016, 08:38 AM
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138402&highlight=transmission+400

http://www.trifivechevys.com/showthread.php/3176-Transmission-Sizes?highlight=transmission+400

I searched several sites and could not find a short answer for you.

chevynut
03-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Gary, what are you using for engine mounts? Do they put the engine where you want it? If not, imo you'll need to drop the engine in place, set it where you want it at the right angle, then build/fit the engine mounts.

Are you putting the BBC 1.5" forward of stock, or are you planning to modify the firewall?

Once you have the engine located, set it at 4 degrees relative to the main frame rails. Then locate your tranny crossmember. IMO the dimension you asked for won't really help you much if you don't know where the engine needs to sit.

markm
03-02-2016, 10:23 AM
While I agree it is a good number, anything less requires a BFH, I have not seen BBC kits for 1.5 forward. It seems like its 3/4 or 2.25.

chevynut
03-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Screw the kits, I say make your own mounts. I think TCI offers 1 1/4" forward mounts but imo they're marginal. 3/4 forward doesn't work if you want to preserve the firewall, and that's a known fact. 2.25" is too far forward and causes other problems. 1.5" is the minimum forward to avoid "massaging" the firewall and still leaves a little clearance between the heads and firewall. I see guys claiming they put the BBC in the stock location and nothing hit. That's BS.

markm
03-02-2016, 11:51 AM
I see guys claiming they put the BBC in the stock location and nothing hit. That's BS.

I completely agree with you, I did the 2.25 forward route and the only issue I had was a tight fit on lower radiator hose. It could have been made worse by choice of radiator too. I had to cut a 67 Camaro BBC hose in 3 pieces and clamp the ends back together.