PDA

View Full Version : How to get perfect quarter panel mouldings

munk
02-29-2016, 05:19 PM
I'm building a custom 55 Bel Aire. I have spent a small fortune on quarter panel mouldings, and still do not have a perfect set. I bought a new set from a vendor. It was from Taiwan, and it was awful. I sent that one back. I had an original pair that I thought I would send to a polisher to get them perfect. I sent them to Custom Plating in Brillion Wi. He advertises as being the "Best Chromer in the World", and also polishes stainless. I told him I wanted them to be polished and straight with no waves, and if he thought he could not do it, to send them back. He polished them for a small fortune, and the mouldings have ripples and even 2 small depressions left in. So I am out the money, and don't really know what to do next. It seems all the aftermarket stuff is cheap and wavy. Does anyone make a true quality moulding that is straight? Or does anyone know of a polisher who actually does know what they are doing? I can't bolt a set of wavy dented mouldings on this car. Thanks for any help. Munk

chevynut
02-29-2016, 05:43 PM
If you're looking for someone to do some straightening and polishing, talk to Rodney at Stainless Trim Works in Wellington, Colorado. He has some cars that got "Best Trim" awards in some major shows. I went to his place and he had stainless trim that I thought was really nice, but it was trim guys sent to him to re-do it for them. He showed me the flaws because I couldn't see them...and I'm a picky SOB. Just ask Mike at Madmooks. ;)

BTW, Mikes chrome guys also do stainless polishing but I haven't seen their work. All I know is I had them do my interior chrome and it was beautiful. Mike will make sure it turns out as good as possible...he's a picky SOB too. :) :)

munk
02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
I'll give them a call. I've seen your work before. Unbelievable craftsmanship, and attention to detail. Thanks for the reply. Munk

Rick_L
02-29-2016, 06:18 PM
Mikey Domoracki, "55wagoncrazy" here, is probably the widest known expert on this stuff. Be prepared to wait and pay.

markm
03-01-2016, 07:30 AM
I guess that I am lucky, my brother in law watched a video and did a wonderful job on my 56 BA.