PDA

View Full Version : What do I paint my new front clip with?

hutchenc
04-16-2016, 12:40 PM
So now that I will have a sandblasted shiny new front clip from Cnut, what do I paint this thing with?

I want something that won't chip easily...I wrench on the car a good deal and you know how I like to drop sockets on stuff!

I have an HVLP detail gun and all that jazz so I can shoot it. I'm gonna go with a gloss black I think...thought about the satin and decided against it because it's harder to keep clean.

hutchenc
04-16-2016, 02:36 PM
After some reading, I think I'm gonna go with black SPI Epoxy.

chevynut
04-16-2016, 03:18 PM
As I understand it POR-15 isn't good on clean, bare metal. So if it was me, I'd use an automotive urethane over epoxy primer.

chevynut
04-16-2016, 05:16 PM
If you want gloss black, I don't think you'll get that with SPI epoxy. I think it's a good choice, though, if you want it a little satin black.

Bitchin'57
04-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Is it smooth enough for gloss black? Gloss black will show every little imperfection. If you're not worried about that, then shoot one coat of SPI epoxy, then one or two coats of a good single stage urethane gloss black. Remember to shoot the paint over the epoxy within the recoat time.

rustay56
04-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Disregard this post

rustay56
04-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Hutchinc, What Bitchin'57 is describing is what's called "wet on wet" application and is widely used mostly on insurance work to cut down on costs. The problem with using that technique over blasted metal is you will get some sink back as the epoxy sinks into the blast profile in the steel. This inturn pulls the top coat with it leaving a slight orange peel effect, now normally this wouldn't be an issue but with gloss black it doesn't look so good and is probably not the finish you are looking for. My advice would be to apply two good wet coats of epoxy and let dry. Sand flat with 320 dry using a block where possible, You will see the orange peel in the epoxy as you sand. Any rub throughs just spot up with some rattle can etch. I use a Axalta (DuPont) Imron Polyurethane Gloss Black.It will give you a excellent hard wearing finish with good gloss. Only down side with spaying Imron is you MUST where a proper spray mask. Another good product is Valspar L.I.C 40.Polyurethane Gloss Black. You don't have to spot up rub throughs with L.I.C. 40. Hope this helps.
P.S Check that the blasters haven't touched the metal with there bare hands and left rust stains (they usually do) if so Re-blast affected areas or sand rust off and apply phosphoric acid to area then wash off with prepsol (Not water) then rinse with White Spirits as it leaves no residue. Blow down with dry air and start spraying. Good Luck.

Regards Andrew.