PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Centerlink versus buying LH8 oil pan

Bihili
05-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Do I modify Centerlink to clear stock oil pan or buy LH8 pan?
Summit and Jegs has the LH8 complete oil pan kit for the LS swap and it is only $150 but the oil pan does hang down substantially lower.
Looking at the problem it appears to me I could modify the centerlink by using an additional centerlink and combining the two.
East Coast Chevy has a modified centerlink they sell for $150 before shipping and they want my old centerlink or they have a core charge.
Their modified centerlink just drops down two inches.
I have an extra centerlink on hand and was thinking about using it to graft into existing centerlink by extending the bend forward. Thus clearing the stock oil pan.
I think my local machine shop could weld this and it still be safe.
Any thoughts on this idea?

NickP
05-02-2016, 03:36 PM
We used to cut and modify them all of the time for BBC and other installs. Many a Nova we did was done too. As long as the weld area is spotless, there is no reason not to do it. regardless weather the mod is vertical or horizontal, the load is the same so build it the way it needs to be.

JMHO & 3₵

Rick_L
05-02-2016, 04:59 PM
The -1 Holley pan is the best and cleanest option, as it looks and installs like a stock pan. The cost is only a bit more than some kind of stock pan + the modified center link ($380).

To me the only way to come out cheaper is if you can modify and weld a gen4 Camaro pan yourself. For instance an S&P modified F-body pan will probably be about the same cost as the Holley.

There are other aftermarket pans but they are not cast like the Holley or GM pans, and may have differing ways of doing the oil filter, etc.

rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
05-02-2016, 06:10 PM
I have the S&P modified pan in my cutlass it was 385 with a core. I pickup the holley pan for 320$ it is a very nice product well worth the money. It comes with dip stick and pickup tube fits perfect in a trifive.

WagonCrazy
05-03-2016, 09:46 AM
As long as the weld area is spotless, there is no reason not to do it.

Yep, I concur with Nick's feedback. As long as that weld area is done correctly, it should hold up to the demands of todays driving...

NickP
05-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Bump^

Bihili
05-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Thanks for feedback