PDA

View Full Version : Ain't much of a garage to brag about...

WagonCrazy
08-29-2016, 01:37 PM
We've lived in tract home in Santa Clarita (Los Angeles County) for the past 24 years. It had an attached 2 car garage that was set up as best as possible for working on cars. But it had a washer/dryer and other shared stuff with the missus...

Then we moved (after 24 years) across town to an older-more rural part of Santa Clarita (called Newhall) and I now have another 2 car garage. This one is detached, so no sharing :-). Our home/garage is on a half acre in an area where most properties have been subdivided into smaller lots. So it's kind of a premium to find this size lot in this area. Bought it 5 years ago (from the bank who was unloading it at the top of the real estate meltdown) and had been renting it out.

So now we're here...and we have some room to spread out and some equity to (someday) build a new larger garage on the back quarter acre.

This weekend, I retrofitted this empty shell of a 2 car garage and built a workbench with cabinets on one wall, and erected steel shelving for the other 2 walls. Found it all locally on Craigslist for cheap. it's a lifesaver, as there's not much room in an 18 x 20 garage structure with 1 car in build mode in it.

But now I have the room to resume the Nomad build. Onward!

Here's pics.
Paul

LEE T
08-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Looks like you're ready to start getting serious.
Best wishes forward

Eds56
08-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Looks like you're off to a Good Start, keep moving forward and Good Luck!!

Bluegrass Trifive
08-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Looks good, Nice and neat, takes a lot of discipline to maintain!

Custer55
08-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Congrats on the new shop. Nice to have a place to work on your car again.
Brian

markm
08-30-2016, 06:03 AM
Its a lot more than I started with, I admire your organization.

WagonCrazy
12-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Update:
The house was originally built in 1947. Wood stud single story on concrete slab. Sometime in the late 60's, it got an addition, and the main electric service panel was put on the addition. That's 100 amp panel has been limping along serving the house and freestanding garage. Woefully underserved I might add, as the garage was just an extension off an existing 15 amp circuit that served both the kitchen plugs and lights. Anytime I ran a power tool out there, and my wife was using the microwave or had all the lights on....pop went the breaker.

So job 1 on the resurrection of this property is a new 200 amp panel on the house with a new line out to a 60 amp subpanel on the garage. Now I have 240v out there and can run the compressor AND welder at the same time. And still have capacity for a 120v 30 amp RV plug too. Yee haw!

Out with the old...

And in with the new...

We'll have this all buttoned up and stucco repaired by end of day tomorrow.

Then I can get back to work with fabrication on the Nomad project.

WagonCrazy
12-08-2016, 09:27 PM
And it's all properly grounded with new rods in the ground now. That makes me feel a little better...as the grounding on the old system was suspect.

chevynut
12-09-2016, 07:15 AM
Paul, looks good and that's a big project to take on. Did you run a new service cable from the transformer? Seems like going from a 100 amp panel to a 200 amp would require a larger cable if you use a larger main breaker unless it was already large enough.

When I built my house I told the electrician I wanted a 200 amp panel installed and found out when I built the shop that it's only a 150 amp service. I have added a 100 amp panel in the basement, a 125 amp panel in the old shop, and a 125 amp panel in the new shop all coming off of it. They don't have to add up to 150 amps. ;)

WagonCrazy
12-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Did you run a new service cable from the transformer?
No.

Seems like going from a 100 amp panel to a 200 amp would require a larger cable if you use a larger main breaker unless it was already large enough.
The power company (So Cal Edison) came out and verified the drops from the transformer were plenty sized big enough for a 200 amp service. I did this prior to pullng the permit for this changeout. I've had an electrician buddy doing the install. I'm not proficient enough to tackle this, but picked his brain all the way thru the project so I can learn. All kinds of code shit to deal with. Had to add bonded grounds from plumbing pipes serving the water heater over to the gas line. Had to stuff 2 eight foot copper grounding rods into the ground 6 feet apart and then bond those to the new panel.

Also a 3rd ground rod out by the garage subpanel, because the wires going to that panel (technically) don't contain a ground. Only 2 hots and a neutral (for 240v). So the box has a seperate ground bus bar that's bonded to that copper rod now.

chevynut
12-09-2016, 12:41 PM
That grounding crap really gets complicated and how you do it seems to depend on where you live. Some places require you to tie neutral to ground and other places prohibit it, even though it's essentially the same thing in the end. And like you said it depends on if there's a ground at the house panel. I had to drive a rod into the ground and tie ground to it, but I think I had to connect neutral to ground in the panels in both shops, even though there's one at the house 100 feet away. I don't know why you would NOT want to do that.

WagonCrazy
12-10-2016, 08:33 AM
Yes to all. The Neutral bus bar in the service panel is tied to the Ground bus bar. That is then tied to the grounding rods...

Hopefully, my system works as it should in the event of "over draw" on any individual line... That being to cause the breaker to shut off first INSTEAD OF melting a wire somewhere inside the house causing a fire...

BamaNomad
12-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Hopefully, my system works as it should in the event of "over draw" on any individual line... That being to cause the breaker to shut off first INSTEAD OF melting a wire somewhere inside the house causing a fire...

The KEY to that is to make sure that you always choose your wiring to handle MORE current than the breaker on your circuit... (I always go a size larger on the wire than is recommended for safety, but that does cause more issues when installing, and more cost)...

chevynut
12-10-2016, 10:31 AM
The KEY to that is to make sure that you always choose your wiring to handle MORE current than the breaker on your circuit... (I always go a size larger on the wire than is recommended for safety, but that does cause more issues when installing, and more cost)...

Actually the wires can handle WAY more current than required by code. It takes a lot of current to fuse even a 20 gauge wire. I wouldn't recommend using a larger wire than recommended because it's a lot harder to handle and it costs a lot more with the price of copper nowadays as you said.....so why do it? You need 14 gauge for a 15A circuit and 12 gauge for a 20A circuit per electrical codes.

BamaNomad
12-10-2016, 11:06 AM
You are correct Chevy nut... 14 gauge for 15A breaker circuits, and 12 gauge for 20A breaker circuits is CODE, and is sufficient for those circuits, but in my garages I've built, I install 12 gauge for all, even if I'm putting in 15A breakers on some. My reason for this is that I once bought a 'hot water/pressure cleaner' (which I love btw and always use cleaning 'new OLD cars I buy)... When I first used it, plugging into the closest outlet I had in my garage at the time, for cleaning under a car outside, after a few minutes, the 15A breaker got hot and popped. So I had find a 20A circuit outlet for that ... and later changed out that breaker for a 20A breaker (I'd wired the entire garage with 12G individual wires in metal conduit, so it was no big deal)...

In a house, 14 gauge is typically all that is used for the standard circuits, but in the garages I've built, I wire with 12G, even with the pains with terminating the ends... :)

55 Rescue Dog
12-10-2016, 01:11 PM
I wired all my garage receptacle circuits with 12ga using 15 amp breakers and outlets to have the option to change any circuit to 20 amp. Plus 12ga has less resistance, and voltage drop on bigger loads. I also use wire numbers to identify everything later if needed. If my house was wired like my garage, I could run like 20 crock pots, and more. I was lucky enough to have my local utility run a separate underground 100 amp service to my garage, plus fiber optic.

chevynut
12-11-2016, 08:33 AM
BamaNomad, I would think that a hot water high pressure washer would pull more than 15 amps, do you know what the current rating is for it? It probably needs a 20A circuit anyhow.

IMO if you're going to put the 12 gauge wire in, I see no reason not to use 20A breakers from the get-go. Why "upgrade" to 20A breakers later? The breakers are meant to protect the wiring in the structure. Personally I wouldn't wire a shop with anything less than 20A wires and breakers.

Both of my shops are wired with 12 gauge wires and 20A breakers except for my compressor circuits which are 10GA 30A 220V and welder circuits 6GA 50A 220V. I even used 12 gauge on lighting circuits. I have GFI outlets at the beginning of each 120V circuit and they can sometimes be a PITA but are required by our codes. In my new shop they required "tamper proof" outlets which are BS in a shop, imo, and make it hard to plug things in.

I run a large Jet 12" disc/belt sander, another 12" sander, my shop vac that's connected to my bead blaster, a drill press, and my Jet horizontal bandsaw on the same circuit on one wall and I usually don't have problems but it's close when my son and I both work and we've tripped the breaker there. I've made plans to split that circuit in two and the new wire is already run from the panel to where I need to cut the circuit. My plasma cutter is pretty much on it's own 20A 110V circuit unless I need to cut heavier material, then I plug it into 220V. I have one 220V welder outlet at each end of the old shop and one in the new shop in case I ever need to weld there :). We usually use a 220V extension cord for the 180A TIG and I can plug my Miller 211 MIG into 110V or 220V.

For lighting, in the old shop I have 8 4-foot fluorescent fixtures with 4 bulbs each and in the new shop there's 11 of them with 4 bulbs each. The old attic has six 60 watt LED bulbs and the new attic has four 4-foot fluorescent 2-bulb fixtures. I find the LED bulbs give more light than incandescent, and CFLs are worthless.

And you're right about voltage drop. For extremely long runs it does make sense to use larger wire but 20GA should work just about anywhere.

BamaNomad
12-11-2016, 08:23 PM
We get by in our home 'one man' shops with putting more equipment on the circuits than it would support, but we can only operate ONE at a time, eh? :)

chevynut
12-11-2016, 09:44 PM
We get by in our home 'one man' shops with putting more equipment on the circuits than it would support, but we can only operate ONE at a time, eh? :)

You don't need to design a circuit to support having everything on at once. If we did that, we'd need a 1000 amp panel to our homes. :) :)

I have several 110V circuits in both shops. Unfortunately I didn't plan to have so much equipment on one wall in the old shop because I didn't originally build it for a business. Still, it all works with no problem 99% of the time even with two of us working.

WagonCrazy
12-12-2016, 06:54 AM
In my new shop they required "tamper proof" outlets which are BS in a shop, imo, and make it hard to plug things in.

And with final inspection long since completed, I'm sure you've solved that by replacing those with the old fashioned ones...:p

BTW. Thanks for describing all the circuits and uses in your old/new garage. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want for wiring in the new garage (still in the design phase in my head at this point).

55 Rescue Dog
12-12-2016, 01:30 PM
66446645I had my garage inspected, and approved with the minimum required 1 GFCI outlet, a light switch, and 2 60w bulbs. He didn't say anything about the 20 circuit 100 amp panel on the wall. I wired the crap out of the garage after it was inspected. I finished the interior wall with exterior Smart siding. In case I need to add a couple more circuits, I might never need, I installed a couple pull wires from the breaker panel into the attic. I also put in 2 extra light switches with wire dead-ended in a junction box too. Have stainless switch/outlet covers on everything now. Oh yeah, my 11:1 1970 LT-1 loves 110 octane racing fuel. In on picture on the lower left is a 1 1/2in PVC pass through for an air hose, or cord to go outside. Cut a hole in an old center cap for a bezel. Although my garage will never be a show piece, I tend to avoid doing anything I should be doing on my 55, now covered in snow. I hate the thought of trashing my shop with the dust, and crap needed to get the project rolling. Poor excuse I know, but I hate the mess.

Bihili
12-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Rescue Dog, does OSHAA approve the saw blade above the door?????:)

chevynut
12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
I had both my shops final inspected with everything wired up because I figured I wanted to make sure it was done right, and I had nothing to hide. If you cheat on stuff like that and the place burns down, insurance companies can refuse to cover it if they find out. My wife is an insurance agent. :eek: I also ran some spare wires and terminated them in a box which the inspector asked about but was okay with.

The only other thing the inspector questioned was that the lights in the stairwell of my attic didn't have a switch at the top and bottom of the stairs. He said that was required. I asked him why I would ever want to go up into the attic and turn the lights off (one switch controls stairwell and all attic lights), and he thought about it and signed off on it. :)

I have since made some minor changes after cutting through the side of the old shop's attic to get access from the new shop attic. I recently added a switch for the old attic lights. No inspection. :p

WagonCrazy
12-30-2016, 07:02 AM
The service panel + sub panel upgrade is finished. Inspector signed off early this week.

Main panel. Lots of room for future circuits (a whole house remodel is in the planning mode)

And the subpanel in the freestanding 2 car garage (have 60 amps to work with here)

And a new 120v- 30amp RV plug installed on the garage (so I can power my toyhauler when I have it parked there for guests sleeping over).

I guess you can say that we're happy campers now!

chevynut
12-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Looking good Paul....one thing I question is the dual 220V/20A breakers for the compressor. Is that enough for your compressor? Mine are dual 30A with 10ga wires. That's what the compressor installation instructions said I needed for a 5HP compressor.

Also, don't they require a main breaker in any sub-panel? Here one is required for any stand-alone building so they know where to turn off power in case of a fire and. I have a 125A breaker in each of my shop's sub-panels and it was required by code.

WagonCrazy
12-30-2016, 04:10 PM
one thing I question is the dual 220V/20A breakers for the compressor. Is that enough for your compressor?
Yep. Label on the compressor motor says 205-230 volt- 15 amp. It's working just fine with the dual 20A breakers.

Also, don't they require a main breaker in any sub-panel?
Possibly, but this subpanel wasn't part of the inspected work...(add on after the fact). There is a dual breaker for this panel in the main panel, just not one out here in the garage. Shut off all 3 and you have no power going past this sub panel.

WagonCrazy
08-08-2018, 06:17 AM
New freestanding garage is getting started after 10 months of wrangling with the City of Santa Clarita Planning, Bldg & Safety, Oak Tree Preservation District, and LA County Fire Dept. Lots of hurdles...
1690 sq foot garage. 5 car bays + a mancave bay + a bathroom.
Any freestanding structure over 1000 sq. feet invokes the wrath of G_D around here.
But I did it! All permitted and moving ahead now.

Utilities in the ground up to the building site. Excavated and recompacted 5 feet of dirt under the slab. Then cut a finish level on the pad. Now we're forming for a monolithic pour...86 yards of concrete (9 truckloads) set for next week. Then lumber arrives and the walls start going up. Pissing money at a fast clip now... :p

I'll post some pics later, when I transfer them from my phone.

BamaNomad
08-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Congratulations Paul! :) FINALLY... it does seem like forever since we read of your initial efforts to get your garage started! It sounds like you're going to have a very nice shop to work on your car once finished! :)

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
08-09-2018, 06:11 AM
size matters, sounds plenty big. congrats on getting it started.

55 Rescue Dog
08-09-2018, 03:56 PM
"The Barn is Always Bigger than the House"

WagonCrazy
08-10-2018, 11:08 AM

chevynut
08-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Very cool Paul, I'm happy for you. :) :)

WagonCrazy
08-14-2018, 08:46 PM
Wet concrete starting at 7am in the morning. 9 trucks of it. :eek:

hurddawg
08-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Sweet! Must be exciting:cool:

BamaNomad
08-14-2018, 09:23 PM
Neat! Will you be there to watch? :)

WagonCrazy
08-15-2018, 07:21 PM
70 cubic yards of concrete in the ground today. 7 truckloads.
Lumber load arriving tomorrow.
Framing starting Friday.
Just B L O W I N thru the cash at this point. :)

https://youtu.be/2I6GMYpbMNI

chevynut
08-15-2018, 07:35 PM
What happened to the other 2 yards? :)

Video doesn't work for me.

WagonCrazy
08-16-2018, 07:15 AM
You mean the other 20 yards? Welll....it was a slight overcalculation due to improper excavation of the footings (by a rookie operator) which caused more dirt to come out of than necessary. So we fudged and went over with the estimate.
But it ended up being just about exactly 70 yards (7 trucks).

Not sure why video isn't working for you.. Its a link to a video posted on my youtube channel. It works for me...

Maybe you should ditch your PC and get a Mac. :p

56Safari
08-16-2018, 07:43 AM
Maybe you should ditch your PC and get a Mac. :p

I'm on a mac and it doesn't work for me either... but I don't disagree with the statement :D

BamaNomad
08-16-2018, 09:33 AM
video didn't work for me and my PC either... :)

WagonCrazy
08-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Try it again. Does it work now? I tweaked a setting in youtube...

BamaNomad
08-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Yes, it works well now... :) Great start to your new shop/garage!

08-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Try it again. Does it work now? I tweaked a setting in youtube...

works when i use Google Chrome, not with internet Explorer.

WagonCrazy
08-28-2018, 07:02 AM

BamaNomad
08-28-2018, 08:41 AM
Wow... beginning to see that you are going to have a great garage/workshop, Paul! :)

Rick_L
08-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Is there a particular purpose to making each end bay smaller rather than full length/full height?

WagonCrazy
08-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Yes..so it wouldn't look like a giant Costco building in the middle of a nice residential area of high end homes...

The end spaces are 10x25 and the inside space is 40 x 30.

The 3 glue-lam beams show up today and we'll get those up tomorrow. Then the rafters/roof starts to take shape soon thereafter.

Rick_L
08-28-2018, 03:41 PM
I figured that might be your answer.

Was that required for zoning or HOA approval? Or was it something you offered up yourself?

It looks like it will be a great shop. Those end bays could easily be a lounge, office, "dirty" room, or "clean" room - any of which are good to have.

WagonCrazy
08-28-2018, 04:13 PM
Was that required for zoning or HOA approval? Or was it something you offered up yourself?
No HOA in my section of Santa Clarita (which is rare). It was something I came up with, to make the keep in essence with feel of the neighborhood.

It looks like it will be a great shop. Those end bays could easily be a lounge, office, "dirty" room, or "clean" room - any of which are good to have.
Yep. Left bay contains a bathroom and will have a small kitchenette counter/sink along the wall and area for man cave lounge. Right bay is for now, for storing all my off road vehicles. But when its time to spray the paint....hang a curtain and close it off and spray in there...

WagonCrazy
08-28-2018, 04:14 PM
No HOA in my section of Santa Clarita (which is rare). It was something I came up with, to make the keep in essence with feel of the neighborhood.

Yep. Left bay contains a bathroom and will have a small kitchenette counter/sink along the wall and area for man cave lounge. Right bay is for now, for storing all my off road vehicles. But when its time to spray the paint....hang a curtain and close it off and spray in there...

chevynut
08-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Great shop!!! :)

TrifiveRichard
08-29-2018, 03:09 PM
That’s going to be a nice one!

WagonCrazy
08-30-2018, 06:47 AM
All the beams went up yesterday...

BamaNomad
08-30-2018, 08:45 AM
Don't you just LOVE construction?? especially when it's YOUR Garage going up~ :)

I'm sure you're very excited (and hate to go to work each day).... as you'd much rather be there watching/assisting the tasks..

WagonCrazy
08-30-2018, 08:57 PM
Yep. but someones gotta pay for this madness... so I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!

Nobody said anything about those massive glue lam beams being like 10x more than what's necessary. The earthquakes and engineering liability, etc mean overbuilding everything these days.
I could hang 3 cars from that beam if I wanted to! :(

Anyways, the rafters are going up now, and by early next week I should have pics with plywood on the roof.
It sure gets small quickly when you start to enclose it.

55 Tony
08-31-2018, 04:49 AM
Nobody said anything about those massive glue lam beams being like 10x more than what's necessary. The earthquakes and engineering liability, etc mean overbuilding everything these days. I could hang 3 cars from that beam if I wanted to! :( My first thought when I saw them was "Holy Crap"! Did you do the center one like that instead of trusses, for a tall ceiling? Anyways, the rafters are going up now, and by early next week I should have pics with plywood on the roof. It sure gets small quickly when you start to enclose it.

The first thing I thought when I saw those beams was "holy crap!". Is the center one tall for a tall ceiling? Seriously you could at least raise a body off a frame with that beam.

BamaNomad
08-31-2018, 05:52 AM
Your laminated beams *appear* to be laminated 2x4s?? Are they ? if not, how are they constructed? The look to be very differently constructed from the laminated beams used in my home....

chevynut
08-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Paul, I'm curious why you didn't use trusses instead of a beam and rafters. Are you trying to get a taller ceiling height? My shop has a big attic with stairs up into it that I use for storage space. Sure glad I did that.

Rick_L
08-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Just speculating here, it may be a way of getting enough clear height to have a lift. But you wouldn't have to do it on the end bays or even the full width of the middle bay.

markm
08-31-2018, 10:45 AM
That's a better plan than I did, hacking the centers out of a couple rafters to install one like I did on mine.

WagonCrazy
08-31-2018, 10:40 PM
Are you trying to get a taller ceiling height?
Yes...but not trying. We ARE getting 14 feet at the bottom of the beam...

Car lift, party zone, etc.

The glue lam is 6 x 24 that was milled smooth on both sides after glueing. So its more like 5 1/4 inches wide actual.

WagonCrazy
08-31-2018, 10:42 PM
My shop has a big attic with stairs up into it that I use for storage space. Sure glad I did that.

There is a small storage area atop each end (8 foot inner ceilings, with about 4 foot attic height at bottom of beam).

I don't want a crapload of upper storage...I don't plan to fill it full. Just a place for the christmas decorations, and some of my kids stuff that we can't seem to part with.

WagonCrazy
09-09-2018, 09:28 PM
You guys want another update from last week's progress?

BamaNomad
09-10-2018, 04:52 AM
We ALWAYS want updates.. :) and it's looking very good!

Q. What are your plans for O/H insulation? Or do you California fellas need to insulate? Maybe put fiberglass or foam between the rafters? or ?

09-10-2018, 05:42 AM
exciting times ahead. that is going to be a nice one.

BeachGirl55
09-11-2018, 09:12 PM
what size header/beam does California require on the garage door openings

WagonCrazy
09-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Insulation? Yes...but not until after final inspection and county tax assessor have done their business. Fiberglass batts with drywall over them.

Headers over doors? Mine are 6 x 12 beams. The doorways are 8' high x 16' wide each. The main glu-lam beam is 6 x 24 inches x 38 feet.

The whole garage is 2x6 framed walls with some 6x6 posts in structural areas. 2x8 cieling joists and 2x10 rafters.
And a shitload of plywood shear panels everywhere. Nailed every 2 inches around the perimiters.

Not a 2x4 anywhere in this garage. :p

Rick_L
09-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Wow, lots of structure. If an earthquake or tornado hits, it's going to roll down the street like a square bowling ball, but never come apart!

WagonCrazy
09-12-2018, 07:04 AM
That's right Rick. That's CA building standards for you these days. Safest structure in the entire neighborhood. (most other structures built in 60's and 70s).
Could I have put a cheaper metal building up? Possibly...but it looks just like that...a cheap metal building. I wanted to stay in line with the look of the nieghborhood, and this garage "finished surfaces" will be the precursor to what happens to the house and the other 2 car garage down the road.
New garage- step 1
Finished driveways- step 2
Whole house remodel- step 3
existing 2 car garage remodel & new patio/party area - step 4

Anyone know where I can find a money tree for steps 2, 3 and 4? Gonna need a grove of them. :(

chevynut
09-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Anyone know where I can find a money tree for steps 2, 3 and 4? Gonna need a grove of them. :(

Shop is looking GREAT Paul. I found my "money tree" a couple years ago....bought a ton of AMD stock at $2, now $30+. :)

WagonCrazy
10-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Been working my tail off lately. Roof is on, siding is on, paint is on...

On deck: Stucco, stackstone on front, and garage doors on order.

https://youtu.be/o7sLTExCeAA

BamaNomad
10-09-2018, 06:54 AM
It's looking very good! :)

WagonCrazy
11-14-2018, 06:50 AM

BamaNomad
11-14-2018, 02:36 PM
... I'd be braggin'.... :)

Tabasco
11-15-2018, 04:53 AM
Wow, that is a beautiful garage. You did a really good job.

11-15-2018, 05:53 AM
nice work, turned out great. just beautiful.

55 Rescue Dog
11-15-2018, 04:40 PM
I love the "Craftsman" style, which is how I did the re-do on my house, and garage after a kickass hail storm with the same theme, and color. I used the shingle money from my roof, which has been through another hailstorm since, and not replaced. It seems fine to me, but all I'm doing is saving my insurance company money. Never mind. Your shop looks great, and I wish I could have done the same thing.

WagonCrazy
11-16-2018, 06:38 AM
Thank you for the compliments guys. I'm a month or so away from finishing up enough to get final inspection, then the real work starts to outfit this thing how I want to set it up (inside).
Running out of money at the moment though. :(

WagonCrazy
12-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Its been a month since the last update and I've been busy working on this garage. More pics of the outside soon, but here's a few of the inside with some of the stuff loaded in...

BamaNomad
12-14-2018, 05:53 AM
Very nice Paul! :) Appears you passed your final inspection; lights are working! Congratulations!

PS. nice view of the Nomad and it's 'great stance'... I like it!

chevynut
12-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Looks great Paul, but no insulation, drywall or epoxy floor? You probably don't need heat where you are but insulation will also keep the shop cooler. ;) I have to tell you I LOVE my epoxy floor in my new shop. The time to do it is before you get too much stuff inside.

WagonCrazy
12-14-2018, 07:15 AM
Thanks Laszlo. The short answer to your valid points are "I ran out of money..." I'm way north of 6 figures to get to this point, so I'll stop and save for a bit and then resume with those improvements. In the mean time, I have an enclosed, lock-able building to continue with my car habit. :)

chevynut
12-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Thanks Laszlo. The short answer to your valid points are "I ran out of money..." I'm way north of 6 figures to get to this point, so I'll stop and save for a bit and then resume with those improvements. In the mean time, I have an enclosed, lock-able building to continue with my car habit. :)

Yeah but insulation and drywall are the cheap stuff. You already spent 99% of the money. :) :) But I understand. I started loading up my old shop before I drywalled it and never have finished the floor. I built the first 1150 SF foot shop for about $15K and have around $30K in the new 1300 SF shop addition. But I did almost all the work myself on the old shop except concrete, brick, roof and drywall. Same with the new shop addition but I also hired a guy to help me with excavation and framing on that one. Mine were both paid for as I built and I retired in the middle of the build of the addition, so it got slow at points. But they're both paid for.

If you decide to epoxy the floor I highly recommend using Epoxy-Coat. I got all I needed at Lowes for around $1200 (less than $1 per SF) and my son and I applied it over a weekend. It's tough and hard as concrete.

Rick_L
12-14-2018, 08:39 AM
Yeah but insulation and drywall are the cheap stuff.

Agree, and it will make a difference. You can do the walls yourself, just rolls of pink insulation and drywall sheets. You don't even have to finish the joints, just screw the drywall to the studs and paint it. The ceiling is another matter (harder to do yourself) but probably makes more difference.

55 Rescue Dog
12-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Looks great! I wouldn't worry about finishing it yet either. I had to do mine in stages too. After finishing my 18 year Camaro project, and didn't have a car project to work on, I finally had a chance to finally finish the inside of my garage over a couple years, which I had been wanting to do for many years. If I had finished the garage first, I would be working on the damn car still. I still want to do improvements, but that's not going to happen till my current projects are finished, which with so many distractions, that is going to take way longer than I wanted. The projects are finished, cruising down the road in my dreams though.

markm
12-15-2018, 08:40 AM
I have a two pole barns 30 x 50 and 30 X 40, the 30 x 50 shop space is insulated and the other is storage. The insulated is hot or cold depending on season

12-15-2018, 04:07 PM
looking good, unfinished walls/floor is something I could live with till you have the funds. reminds me of the way most were back when I was a kid.

55 Rescue Dog
12-15-2018, 04:11 PM
looking good, unfinished walls/floor is something I could live with till you have the funds. reminds me of the way most were back when I was a kid.
I must still be a kid then. Usually from a lack of funds.:cool:

chevynut
12-15-2018, 05:59 PM
I've been through this with both of my shops. The problem with "waiting" is it gets harder and harder to go back and finish. As you pile more and more equipment, build more and more shelves and benches, and pack it with cars and parts it's more work to go backward. Also, once you get oil on the floor it really affects your ability to finish the floor correctly so it doesn't peel off. I need to re-paint the inside of my old shop, and even that's going to be a huge mess. I can't imagine going back and drywalling it now. The floor is so spotted with oil, grease, paint, etc that it would be a huge chore to finish, not to mention emptying the entire shop somehow to do it. I don't know where I'd put all the stuff. I did the new shop right....I finished it (no benches yet) before anything went into it. I know money can be an issue, but drywall and insulation is cheap. I'd borrow the money if I had to. Just speaking from experience. ;)

scorpion1110
12-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Congrats on the build. It looks good. Make it yours and do it your way. When I built mine, there were things I needed to do later because of funds; a loft, bookcases for shop manuals, high shelving, extra recessed lighting. Do it when you can and can afford it and take pride in what you have done.

Like you said, you have a good lockable space for your cars.

Nicely done,

Scorp

MadMooks
12-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Its been a month since the last update and I've been busy working on this garage. More pics of the outside soon, but here's a few of the inside with some of the stuff loaded in...

Looks great Paul

WagonCrazy
12-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks Mike. Probably would have cost me half as much to build this in Havasu vs. LA county. :eek:
But I ain't ready to leave this state just yet...
Still lots of great reasons to live here if you can just overlook the ever increasing reasons NOT to live here. :rolleyes:

567chevys
12-29-2018, 08:07 PM
Nice looking shop Paul , also good looking Car & truck

Sid

BeachGirl55
01-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Thanks Mike. Probably would have cost me half as much to build this in Havasu vs. LA county. :eek:
But I ain't ready to leave this state just yet...
Still lots of great reasons to live here if you can just overlook the ever increasing reasons NOT to live here. :rolleyes:

I know how you feel, while I live in Havasu full time I still have a house on a half acre in Quartz Hill, Ca. that I wanted to build a 2 car garage on , the cost was crazy compared to Havasu, I love the amenities that Ca has to offer (weather, attractions like ocean etc) but it's getting harder and harder to to not sell ...... oh not to mention the insane property taxes

WagonCrazy
01-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the support Beachgirl55. I know the QuartzHill area (just up the road from me in Newhall) and its also part of Los Angeles County, so building anything is fraught with codes, compliance, permits, etc.

One of the more annoying laws that I had to comply with (to get permits to build this garage) is CEQA. California Environmental Quality Act which went into effect a few years ago. It governs a crapload of development standards all over the state, and one of them was that "you cannot allow any rainwater to drain onto neighboring properties...it must all be routed to the public storm drain system (ie. to the curb).

That's all fine and dandy, but my lot doesn't naturally drain towards the curb/street. It drains to the back corner, and EVERYONES lots in Newhall work that way. NOTHING was master graded 75 years ago when large parcels of agricultural land were being subdivided up and houses started to appear. So everyones storm water flows onto the next neighbors lot, and everyone around here just deals with it by channeling and managing it as best as possible. That's part of the alure of this area as compared to the rest of Santa Clarita (which is master planned, master graded, master controlled in nearly every way, etc).

But not me...To be granted a permit to build this new garage, I had to install a stormwater collection box at the low end of my 1/2 acre lot, and a sump pump system to pump water 225 feet "up" to the street/curb...just so the pumped water could run 2 lots to the west, turn north and drain "down" back to where it was going all along. Sheesh...all because I wanted to add a new structure.

Here's some pics of my hand built collection system. Let's see if the inspector will pass this (he's coming today for final inspection on the whole project). Fingers crossed.

WagonCrazy
01-08-2019, 07:14 AM
And a few more of the final "approaches" poured at the doorways (also required for passing final)

chevynut
01-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Why anyone would want to live in Kalifornia with all that BS is beyond me. As your neighbor I'd be glad to have your runoff water in your parched climate. So are they trying to protect your neighbor or just want the water back into the rivers for other uses? Kalifornia does some weird stuff to "save the earth".

markm
01-08-2019, 09:21 AM
This is one of the dumbest laws I have ever heard of, I have to agree with Cnut on this one. You have spent more on your shop than I did on land house and outbuildings. That being said what you have done looks nice.

WagonCrazy
08-16-2019, 07:23 PM
It's been over 100 here the last few weeks. The garage is still un-insulated and un-drywalled and its' HOT. So I picked up a couple of 5 dollar used box fans at a local yard sale, a 20' stick of 1 inch thinwall square tubing, some used wheels...and made me a poor mans whole garage fan. :-)

567chevys
08-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Really Good Idea,

Thanks for sharing it .

Sid

WagonCrazy
10-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Just finished having 85 cubic yards of concrete poured all around the garage. Its been about 2 weeks now...here's the final product.

Next up: Rain gutters installed tomorrow. Then empty the garage (entirely) and insulate and drywall. Paying someone to do that....too much for me (a one man show).

BamaNomad
10-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Very nice Paul ! I've been wondering when you were going to give us an update on your garage.. :)

WagonCrazy
10-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Its a MONEY PIT. :eek:

Dragsix
10-30-2020, 09:03 AM
That is just tremendous! I would probably never make it back into the house if that was in my backyard!

markm
10-30-2020, 09:32 AM
85 yards at todays prices of Concrete is more than my 30x50 metal building was with a floor. Nice.

567chevys
10-30-2020, 10:21 AM
Very Nice shop , Show us some inside shots

Thanks Sid

markm
10-30-2020, 10:40 AM
Very cool, looks like a great place to practice 60 footers.

WagonCrazy
11-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Insulation installed. Drywall going up this week. Here's a pic of the first few pieces hanged...

markm
11-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Inside shots look bigger than outside shot. Very nice looking shop.

11-10-2020, 04:16 PM
looking good. another reason for masks for sure.

WagonCrazy
11-11-2020, 02:54 PM
Progress pic of the last couple of days. The drywall is up (70 sheets of 4x12 x 5/8 thick). Now for taping and mudding and sanding and painting and...

BamaNomad
11-11-2020, 05:23 PM
You're hiring that done aren't you Paul? :)

WagonCrazy
11-18-2020, 07:03 PM
Drywall and mud...what a mess!
Yes, I have jobbed that part out. But now I'm the one up on a sissor lift prepping for paint.
Possibly run the spray rig in there tomorrow...

BamaNomad
11-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Well, hurry up and get it painted!~ :) You're holding up ONE FINE GARAGE from seeing car work going on! :)

It's going to be a beauty of a garage.. and looks HUGE in those 'empty pix'.. :)

Gary

WagonCrazy
11-22-2020, 06:48 AM
Made alot of headway on Thurs, Fri and yesterday. Took 10 gallons of drywall primer/sealer + 7 gallons of eggshell white paint over that. Stained the beam also. Ceiling lights and fan reinstalled. Continuing to reassemble things. Main objective for today is to get the 2 AC/HeatPump units cut in and installed in that back wall, and the garage door openers to work again.

markm
11-22-2020, 07:54 AM
My girl friend says your garage is nicer than my house, thinks you are planning on living there.

WagonCrazy
11-30-2020, 06:56 PM
Starting to hang/mount these upper and lower cabinets I got for free (the cost of coming with my box trailer and hauling them out after they were removed from an office building).
the doors are the color of particle board, but they are laminated and in great shape. I'm not completely thrilled, but cant justify another 5K on cabinets.
I have the dark gray countertops to put on also.

BamaNomad
11-30-2020, 08:33 PM
I think the cabinets look great, and you certainly can't beat FREE... :) You'll find that they will be very beneficial to you!~

Belair-o
12-02-2020, 08:50 AM
Oh man, that shop looks great! It is so spacious, it should take a fair spell for stuff to accumulate to fill the available space (one of the fundamental laws of life). Love what you have done!:)

WagonCrazy
12-06-2020, 07:47 AM
Progress update. Bench tops and cabinets done and starting to fill up...

Last thing to do (and it may take a while) is to get stainless sheets bent up to fit over those formica benchtops. That way, I can pound on them, and get them greasy/oily (which I plan to do :p )

Mrzak
12-07-2020, 07:06 AM
Dang, that's nice, no grease spots anywhere
Nice to have space, it will fill up fast.
Cheers

55 Rescue Dog
12-07-2020, 04:56 PM
I keep doing it backwards. Too nice to work in!

Rick_L
12-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Wagoncrazy, I'm curious about the deeper cabinet combination with an empty spot. Is it intended as a spot where you can sit on a chair and work? Or does something go in the empty spot?

BamaNomad
12-07-2020, 08:24 PM
I was at a sheet metal shop today (to check on bending up pieces for wiring harness covers for the Nomad), and I asked if they sold and bent stainless steel workbench covers. I asked for the price of a 3'x8' sheet of 16 gauge stainless with the front bent to contour for a 'cabinet top like Pauls'... Price provided was $395... that is probably why I use plywood covered by OSB or pressboard on my benchtops! :)

Paul: I may have missed it, or forgotten, if you have epoxied (or otherwise sealed) the concrete floor in your garage? and if not, do you plan to? I'd recommend doing that asap before you begin getting oil and stains in the concrete...

WagonCrazy
01-13-2021, 07:11 AM
Answers for Bama...

The center of the workbench layout is for a stool and place to put a laptop or monitor on the bench. So yes...a place to sit and watch youtube videos on how to fix stuff I've screwed up. :p

Epoxy floors- No. Didn't do it. $5000 to do the size of my garage and I'm just not that much in love with the floors to need to do that right now. So for now, I'll go with some spill mats under the cars to keep the drips off the concrete and just enjoy the floors as is.

And for the rest of you guys who've been following my progress:

2 post lift- This was always the plan. Just needed to design and build a garage set up for it. Found a used BendPak 10,000# Assymetrical lift locally, 5 years old, barely used and clean, and just had it installed last weekend. $3050 all in, including installation. Smokin' deal I couldn't pass up. Pretty jazzed to be using a lift to work under them. :cool:

BamaNomad
01-13-2021, 07:48 AM
Congrats on the lift, Paul... looks like a very nice one! :)

Still think you should 'seal' the floors (my recommendation would be epoxy - self applied), for a small fraction of the cost someone quoted you. But Your new garage/shop looks great and will be a blessing to you in your car work.. :)

markm
01-13-2021, 08:34 AM
You should be able to buy sealer for concrete for a fraction of what you were quoted and do it yourself.

WagonCrazy
05-26-2022, 08:57 AM
Finally got the race flags up on the walls. Have a few more to put up still. And got the workbench set up too.
(welll after multiple attempts to upload 3 pics, this website doesnt seem to let me do it...)

BamaNomad
05-26-2022, 09:29 AM
Any of us would be proud to have your garage Paul.. :) It's certainly 'braggable'.. :

PS. I've found the 'best way' here to insert images is to use the 'insert image' function above, which allows you to select the image you want to post (from your computer), and then 'upload it' and it will be inserted where you chose the function...

TrifiveRichard
05-26-2022, 01:15 PM
Garage is looking great, Paul. You’ve been very busy and the results show. BTW, I noticed a picture of a 59 or 60 corvette on your bench top in an earlier post, next project?

WagonCrazy
05-27-2022, 01:18 PM
Thanks Richard. I'm backed up on projects, so a 59 corvette is a distant dream at this point. Maybe someday...
the other way is to find someone who has one, and is willing to part with it. Restomod style, etc. Know anyone? ;)

WagonCrazy
05-27-2022, 01:25 PM
The pics I tried to upload were 3.8 megs each. Too big. So I resized them. Here ya go...

TrifiveRichard
05-27-2022, 01:57 PM
Thanks Richard. I'm backed up on projects, so a 59 corvette is a distant dream at this point. Maybe someday...
the other way is to find someone who has one, and is willing to part with it. Restomod style, etc. Know anyone? ;)

nice try, Paul (Lol). I don’t think Sue will be wanting to part with her’s for quite a while…

210Chevy
08-03-2022, 09:14 AM
Hey; Bama what size pictures do you usually attach and upload everyone I try to post is always so darn big :)

BamaNomad
08-03-2022, 12:13 PM
There's two ways to 'measure' an image file: 1) one way is 'pixel count' or size... Horiz and Vert dimension in pixels. 640x480 (vga size) is good enough for display to a screen. 2) The second way of measuring 'size' has to do wtih the image FILE size (in bytes). This is the size on a disk drive. If you use JPEG compression the image size can be pretty large and still maintain an efficient File size. 200-300 Kbytes in file size for a JPEG compressed image is easily handled by most any website and doesn't take up too much space on your disk drive.

Suggest using an image file converter (such as 'Light Image Resizer') to reduce file sizes with compression and it also allows reduction of the image size to a manageable value for transmission and storage/display.

WagonCrazy
09-06-2023, 02:24 PM

I have been doing some sheetmetal work to the Nomad and struggling to get setup with the proper tools. I have had this 5 inch Craftsman vice for ages, but never had it mounted to anything that was solid. I also had this pedestal for ages, so I did some fab and welding work to make it so the vice would mount to it, then drilled and put inserts in the floor and mounted it down.

Finally, I can pound away and not move everything around. Ever pound on the vice when it's mounted to your workbench? Everything dances until it falls off!

Next up, the all the mods to the bead roller I have. Adding a motor, base, roller die storage, strengthening the jaws, etc.

Onward!

chevynut
09-06-2023, 03:03 PM
Nice. Where did you get the cabinets?

WagonCrazy
09-06-2023, 09:38 PM
the cabinets were free from a personal contact (friend of a family member) who works for the Irvine Company, and with all the tilt up buildings they own and lease, they are constantly moving out tenants. This came out of a commercial enterprise leasing one of those tilt up buildings, and "needed it gone". Uppers, lowers and countertops. (It's all just formica surfaces on particle board.)
That's when I got the call and hauled arse with my box trailer to Irvine to pick them up. :cool:

chevynut
09-07-2023, 08:32 AM
the cabinets were free from a personal contact (friend of a family member) who works for the Irvine Company, and with all the tilt up buildings they own and lease, they are constantly moving out tenants. This came out of a commercial enterprise leasing one of those tilt up buildings, and "needed it gone". Uppers, lowers and countertops. (It's all just formica surfaces on particle board.)
That's when I got the call and hauled arse with my box trailer to Irvine to pick them up. :cool:

I was at a guy's shop last night and he has what looks like the exact same cabinets. His place is amazing.....he has a 40x60, 50x75, and what looked like about a 35x50 building all outfitted with lifts and nicely finished and lit inside. There were cars and frames in every bay that he was working on. He has five 69 Camaros including a numbers matching Z28, a 61 Impala convertible, two 57 HTs, a 56 HT, a 55 HT, a 58 wagon, and who knows what else. His place looks like an amusement park with stamped concrete walkways and porches on the buildings. He said he retired from the concrete business at 42 and he's been building cars since then. Had a great time visiting.

WagonCrazy
09-11-2023, 11:34 AM
That guy hit the jackpot in life...he's living long enough to enjoy his hard labor in the concrete business...and now playing with cars. I envy that guy. :p

Back to my hidey hole...

I have a chinese made bead roller that used a single mechanical handle to turn and it was a PITA to use. Can't be on both sides of it to turn and also feed the sheetmetal thru.
So I got online and watched a dozen or so youtube videos on how to motorize it, and looked at many motor setups.
Eventually settled on an old garage door opener (which i bought locally for 20 bucks) and retrofitted this thing with a foot switch so I can use it "one handed" now.
I will start to bend up some interior pieces for my Nomad build soon.
Maybe shoot a short video of it working and post it up here too.

Most times, I seem to never have the right tools to get something accomplished with any degree of nicety, but on this one...I have about $200 total into it...including a new set of dies I recently bought for bending radius curves in sheetmetal (thanks to the suggestion by McCarthy) :)

WagonCrazy
09-11-2023, 11:35 AM

WagonCrazy
09-12-2023, 04:09 PM
I might make a chain/sprocket for it...just for the challenge. :p

WagonCrazy
10-12-2023, 08:02 PM

Sidetracked with another project around here...my wifes 2 car garage needed an expansion and it becomes the anchor point for a new covered patio cover also. So today we poured 8 yds of concrete to expand it. The existing 70 year old garage is 18 wide x 20 deep. With this new pour, it will become 18 wide x 28 feet deep, with a new side door.
The entire back wall comes out, the entire roof structure comes off, and a new roof structure and walls will be installed. All the typical seismic stuff...hold down brackets and bolts set in the slab, bigger columns to hold a 5 1/2 x 28 foot glulam beam, sheer panel all around, drywalled inside, all new electrical and new plumbing for an outdoor sink that ties into an existing sewer line about 40 feet away. MONEY PIT!

BamaNomad
10-13-2023, 08:06 PM
Long as you have it... keep spending it.. it's getting LESS valuable each day you keep it.. :)

chevynut
10-14-2023, 08:21 AM
Looks good Paul! Talk about a money pit...my Montana projects are really sucking it up. My cattle guard alone was about $10K and I helped install it. We needed it to keep the cattle away from the house, or they'd eat everything and crap under the deck. Then I had to have the old jackleg fence on either side of the cattle guard torn down and replaced about 200 feet of it for about $4K. The arch/gate project will suck up about $25-30K when finished and I've done a lot of the work myself. I hired a guy to do all of the above two years ago but he bailed out on me....he did get me the vertical logs though. I've spent several times that on the house so far, and haven't even started building my shop. I hope I don't run out of money.:rolleyes:

WagonCrazy
10-20-2023, 05:57 AM
More progress on my wife's garage. Removed the old comp shingle roof. Turns out, there were 3 layers on there! No wonder the whole structure was failing. Too much weight.

Next step-remove all the old stucco. It was also failing...crumbling and the paper backing having disentigrated after 70 years of water exposure. This job has kicked my arse. Its heavy, dusty and needs to come off in pieces so that it can be loaded into the trailer and hauled away. I'll be finishing up this step today.

Now that we're down to the studs, we confirm that the termites have had their way with it in places. So we'll be replacing alot of the wall structure while we're at it.

Also confirmed the header beam over the garage door wasn't a beam at all. Just two 2x12s sandwiched together. Not gonna cut it going foward. Need to replace with a glulam beam for support holding up a new 6 x 18 glulam beam that runs the 28 foot length of the new garage structure. Darned near replacing every bit of this old lumber.

Next up is to remove the roof framing structure completely. I'll be disassembling that over the coming days.
I'm whooped. :p

Belair-o
10-20-2023, 09:55 AM
I pity you, the work you are having to do. The deconstruction phase is no fun (both the work, and the surprises uncovered). Hopefully the more enjoyable phase is not too far over the horizon, putting it back together, mo' betta'!
Regards, Doug

chevynut
10-20-2023, 08:41 PM
Two 2x12s is pretty standard framing for headers in many applications. My shop and house garage have two 2x12s nailed together with a 1/2" piece of plywood between them over some of the doors and windows. Some are even 2x10. My shop addition has an 18 foot wide door and we used two 18" microlams over it. My point is I wouldn't be in too big of a hurry to tear it out as it might be plenty adequate for your application, especially since the beam looks like it's on the gable end which carries little load.

WagonCrazy
11-15-2023, 08:59 PM
Ended up tearing out all the old lumber and starting from scratch. Got one wall up this morning, then it started raining. We'll try again tomorrow. I'll get some pics up soon.

WagonCrazy
11-20-2023, 05:51 AM
Progress is slow due to both me and my crew having lots of other priorities. But last week we managed to get the walls and center beam up and sheer paneling on. This week is rafters and roof plywood and a bunch of accompanying steps to get the shell buttoned up.

chevynut
11-20-2023, 09:13 AM
Wow you're really going to town on that. I love building stuff.

Just looked closely at your avatar....what headlights do you have in your Nomad?

WagonCrazy
11-20-2023, 08:03 PM
what headlights do you have in your Nomad?

Heck, I forgot several years ago when I bought them. They weren't too expensive if I recall. Might have even gotten them from Amazon.
They have LED's around the halogen bulb. but not completely circular in pattern.

chevynut
11-21-2023, 09:30 AM
Heck, I forgot several years ago when I bought them. They weren't too expensive if I recall. Might have even gotten them from Amazon.
They have LED's around the halogen bulb. but not completely circular in pattern.

Maybe United Pacific? I'm getting ready to order some LED7s from Dapper Lighting and I was wondering if that's what you had. They have a 20% off sale going on right now.

WagonCrazy
11-21-2023, 06:53 PM
Dapper lighting doesn't sound familiar. United Pacific does sound familiar. I think I got those.

WagonCrazy
11-23-2023, 06:03 AM
Yesterday's progress. Starting to get the covered patio framed in got all the beams hung now. More work coming on Friday.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope you get some family and friends time in, along with a belly full of good food and your favorite beverage!

busterwivell
11-23-2023, 06:41 AM
Nice progress!

WagonCrazy
12-19-2023, 05:39 AM
The latest on my wifes garage redo. Patio cover added onto the side for the (soon to be redone) party patio.

bigblock
12-19-2023, 06:05 AM
Looks Nice!:p

chevynut
12-19-2023, 08:02 AM
Nie! I better not let my wife see it or she'll want her own garage. I already have to build her a greenhouse.

BamaNomad
12-20-2023, 07:58 AM
The latest on my wifes garage redo. Patio cover added onto the side for the (soon to be redone) party patio.

Very nice.. :) I like it.. and ya gotta keep the wife happy..
(that roofed area looks like a great area to work on your nomad when you'd rather work outside, but under a roof.. :)

WagonCrazy
12-23-2023, 06:48 PM

Progress continues. Today we got the comp shingle roof on.

And all the wiring is in the walls.

Next up, install the rockwool insulation, the get the drywallers in here.

TrifiveRichard
12-23-2023, 08:07 PM
Lookin good, Paul. Looks like a lot of flower pots. You’re going to be busy!

567chevys
12-27-2023, 11:42 AM
Looking good Paul,

who is going to take care of all them Plants ?

Sid

WagonCrazy
12-28-2023, 12:03 PM
Those plants have been in pots for 5+ years now, awaiting the time when they can be planted in the ground (when we get to the landscaping phase of this project). So for now, they get hose watered regularly. And moved around to be out of the way as we encroach with the next phase of construction.

WagonCrazy
01-09-2024, 11:08 AM
Update for the 4 of you that are looking:

Drywall going up today. Should be able to paint it by the weekend if the nice weather holds out here. Best part about this is that I"M NOT THE ONE HANGING OR FINISHING IT! These 2 guys had it all up yesterday, and taping/mudding it today. Couple of days from now it will be ready for paint.
Stucco starts next Monday.
Siding on the front will be a mix of cement board (James Hardie products) and on the patio side, some of the patina'd 1x6 lumber that came off the old garage structure as I tore it down. To give it a reminder of the old garage it replaced.
It's cold here (30 at night, 55 daytime high). That's not so cold where many of you all are from though. Winter is here for everyone in the northern hemisphere.

Onward!

chevynut
01-09-2024, 11:55 AM
Looking great. I hate drywall work. I don't mind hanging it but I won't tape and texture it.

WagonCrazy
01-09-2024, 05:28 PM
No texture on this (or any of the other structures recently built here). Smooth finish.

busterwivell
01-10-2024, 06:03 AM
Nice work. Is it insulated? I have a heat pump on my shop so I can work out there in the winter and summer. It's winter here in Tucson..........yesterday I woke up to 19 degrees, and it got to 56 in the afternoon. Of course, in the summer we can get down to the 70's at night, and 110/115 in the afternoon. The heat pump just makes the shop useable.
Bill

WagonCrazy
01-15-2024, 08:32 PM
Yes buster...it's insulated (rockwool). This is my wifes garage, and she'll primarily park her car in there and store all her housewares/kitchen/entertaining and patio/party stuff. So not much time spent in that garage (not enough to put any kind of climate control in it). More pics coming soon. There's been alot of progress in the last week.

bigblock
01-16-2024, 06:15 AM
If she's like my wife it won't be big enough. Good luck.:D

WagonCrazy
01-22-2024, 06:31 AM

Getting closer to the finish line.

Belair-o
01-22-2024, 08:24 AM
Oh! That looks really nice! Great vision, great job!

busterwivell
01-23-2024, 06:22 AM
That's beautiful! Nice job!

schovil69
01-30-2024, 11:58 AM

Getting closer to the finish line.

Amazing how fast you work. That looks great.

WagonCrazy
01-31-2024, 12:49 PM
A few more pics of the progress.
At this point, it's all done inside, and the new cabinets mounted, and all the storage racks put back in.
My wifes Acadia Denali is now parked back inside.

Only a few elements left to finish on the patio side (patio ceiling skin, and patio wall).

WagonCrazy
01-31-2024, 12:52 PM
One more of the front. Still need to put the stackstone rock at the bottom (in the area where there is no color stucco coat)

WagonCrazy
02-13-2024, 12:06 PM
Everything on this garage is done, except for the barnwood siding and stackstone on the one wall under the patio cover
Here's the final patio cover with the shiplap underside, recessed lights, and heaters mounted.

Next up: bust out all that old patio & planter and do all the underground for sewer line (outdoor sink) & gas line (fire pit and grill) & electrical (pump power for waterwheel & step lights, tree uplights and low voltage landscape lighting around the patio) & water line (outdoor sink + sprinkler valves + hose bib) & drainage lines & whateverelse I have forgotten about. Then regrade it all for new patio (combination of color stamped concrete & pavers) :eek:

TrifiveRichard
02-13-2024, 02:51 PM
Nice job, Paul!