PDA

View Full Version : Mice in Shops

567chevys
02-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Hello All ,

What has your best way to get rid of them little nasty Mice ??

I know there is pellets & Blocks (TOMCAT),
Real Cats , spring Traps

I just want to make sure they don't make my coupe a Home .

Thanks for your ideas

Sid

NickP
02-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Most old school pellets and other similar compounds have been eliminated by the Govt. Having said that, go to a farm/ranch store and get their products.

Custer55
02-11-2017, 11:50 AM
I always keep a couple of traps set. Peanut butter makes good bait. I keep a bucket of water filled up just below the top also. Just set it next to something they can climb up on to get a drink and there's a good chance of them falling in and drowning.

LEE T
02-13-2017, 12:54 AM
I prefer traps because I don't want to poison them and let them crawl off and hide somewhere to stink the car up.

fgowi
02-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Really good point Lee T. I've always used poison. When in storage I surround the vehicle with moth balls! Worked in an OLD brick "warehouse district" building all winter. STINKS however!!! I hate it as much as the mice!!!

567chevys
02-16-2017, 07:51 PM
I have really good Snap traps ,
I will post picture of them , I was hoping that the things you plug into the wall that make high Pitch nose would work , Just don't want to buy a thing that is a Ripoff

Sid

WagonCrazy
02-17-2017, 07:46 AM
You need one of these. Don't feed it very often...let it be hungry so it's natural instincts will keep it hunting...

BamaNomad
02-17-2017, 01:48 PM
The problem with cats and cars... generally cats cannot resist hopping on top of cars, crawling into engine compartments, etc... so I don't like them anywhere around my shop... In fact, i won't leave a door to the shop/garage open if there's a cat anywhere close by...

567chevys
02-22-2017, 09:58 PM
These are the best mouse Traps I have found

You can clean them and reload with out touching the mice

I put tape over the spot where you put the peanut butter so they can never get to it , Its a sure kill that way

WagonCrazy
02-23-2017, 05:42 AM
tape over the peanut butter? and they still find it?
Brilliant...

My rats just lick it off and keep going without springing the traps...
I'll try the tape thing next...

567chevys
02-23-2017, 09:27 AM
If your using a Old style Trap

Put peanut butter in a small cloth bag and wire tie it to that pad , There will try to rip it open to get to it !

Guarantee Dead Rat or Mouse

Sid

WagonCrazy
02-23-2017, 02:42 PM
yes, I have the old style wood traps. I'll try that wired in a bag next.

JR Pat
02-24-2017, 06:51 AM
The upholstery shop that rebuilt/recovered the seat in my '63 GMC suggested a product called "Fresh Cab Rodent Repellant". It's a botanical based product made from Balsam fir that has a scent that is supposed to irritate rodents and drive them away. He showed me he had a package in the trunk and cab of his '52 Chevy. I Googled it and bought mine at Menards. He said it is not an unpleasant odor to humans. My truck is in the shop now, so I can't say personally how well it works. But if a guy that repairs a lot of "moused" seats suggested it, I'm gonna try it. Cost was about $12.00 for 1 box. Box says you can use it in garages, shops, etc. Not harmful to kids and pets. JP

LEE T
02-24-2017, 02:26 PM
That sounds very interesting, but it does need replacement often.

Fresh Cab #1 Botanical Rodent Repellant is the First and only "green" repellent registered by the EPA for indoor use! Patented flow-through pouch gradually dispenses active ingredient-each pouch covers up to 125 sq. ft. for up to 100 days.

Endorsed by Green America, USDA, OMRI (pending)
Place ready-to-use pouch anywhere you want to eliminate rodents
Use in Sheds & Garages, Boats & RV's Stored Vechicles, Basements & Attics, Farm Equipment, Lake Cabins, Pantries
Four 2-1/2 oz. pouches per box
Effective up to 100 days

WagonWonder
02-24-2017, 04:30 PM
1 can (303) 1/4 lb. of rice - or an old 1 pound coffee can with the old plastic lid. 1/4 pound of rice. Pierce lid so the elegance of the rice and its inviting aroma attracts the little guys and they gnaw a hole for their size to fit. Place can in open view but somewhat sheltered at one end of shop. Place yourself at other end of shop armed with your trusty Benjamin air rifle in the caliber of choice. (I like a .22 cal. Makes a nice thawp sound when striking them in the head as the attempt to crawl out of the can.

55 Rescue Dog
02-24-2017, 04:48 PM
1 can (303) 1/4 lb. of rice - or an old 1 pound coffee can with the old plastic lid. 1/4 pound of rice. Pierce lid so the elegance of the rice and its inviting aroma attracts the little guys and they gnaw a hole for their size to fit. Place can in open view but somewhat sheltered at one end of shop. Place yourself at other end of shop armed with your trusty Benjamin air rifle in the caliber of choice. (I like a .22 cal. Makes a nice thawp sound when striking them in the head as the attempt to crawl out of the can.
That would only be fun if I had the time.

chevynut
02-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Place yourself at other end of shop armed with your trusty Benjamin air rifle in the caliber of choice. (I like a .22 cal. Makes a nice thawp sound when striking them in the head as the attempt to crawl out of the can.

I used to go visit my dad at his furniture shop for lunch and I would use a BB gun to shoot the mice running around the shop. It was pretty fun.

chasracer
04-29-2018, 09:06 PM
Old style spring traps are effective as are the newer glue traps. Buy a Snickers or MilkyWay bar for bait. They have to pull at the caramel and that trips the trap wire plus it has an attractive scent to them. I also load up stored vehicles with Irish Spring dryer sheets. Change them out about every 60 days to keep the smell fresh - some reason mice don't like them. If they dry out though, mice will use them for nest material.

bigblock
05-01-2018, 07:12 AM
I use a 5 gal bucket, put a hole through the top about 1/2 inch from the top, take a can, I use a empty beer can have several , punch a hole on both ends in the middle. Take a wire or coat hanger, run through the bucket then the can then the other side of the bucket. Make sure it rotates, place in the center of the bucket, put your bait on the can, I use peanut butter, tape the wire so the mice can't push the can to the edge, fill the bucket about 1/3 to 1/2 full of used anti-freeze (mice won't stink when they die) Place near the edge or near you think they will get to they bait. Sit back and enjoy, they will float first then sink after a few days, no stink. I use a old soup strainer to pull them out and through away:D

Troy
05-01-2018, 07:17 AM
I used to go visit my dad at his furniture shop for lunch and I would use a BB gun to shoot the mice running around the shop. It was pretty fun.

Hey, I thought you're a bow hunter!!! Using a rifle is to easy!!!:D

55 Tony
05-25-2018, 06:05 PM
I kept getting mice in my work van. It was bad. A few drops of pure peppermint oil on a cotton ball in the front and rear and they scram. It's expensive some places but Amazon has it for a good price.