PDA

View Full Version : Roof to Cab drip rail seal

NinerNiner
06-18-2017, 03:45 PM
I'm a new member so I'll summarize what I'm doing.

I purchased an all original '56 Chevy longbed (3200) pickup a few years ago and I've been working on making it road worthy and safe. Along the way, as I'm changing/upgrading, it's becoming a resto-rod.
The body is all original and about 90% perfect with a touch of rust in a few lower body panels.

I noticed that the seal, where the roof meets the drip rails, is almost gone. I remember seeing this on other classic cars and I thought it remained soft to the touch, like a putty. Is there a particular product for this? I don't want to use silicone because it's impossible to remove, come painting time. Maybe some kind of chalk?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to helping others from my car building experience.

NickP
06-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Welcome aboard! PM MP&C here. He will have the answer.

MP&C
06-18-2017, 08:58 PM
Media blast, epoxy prime, then catalyzed seam sealer

chevynut
06-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the site!

I assume you're talking about the top of the drip rails? I scraped and blasted mine, primed with PPG epoxy, and used self-leveling seam sealer in them.

NinerNiner
06-20-2017, 01:40 PM
I thought I replied, but since I don't see it, I must not have hit the 'submit' button.
Thanks MP&C and chevynut for your quick responses.
You both mentioned a catalized seam sealer. Where do I find it?
Chevynut - you said it was self leveling. How do you keep it from running down a sloped drip rail, like at your rear window.
Thanks again.

chevynut
06-20-2017, 08:53 PM
If I remember correctly I used Evercoat MAXIM 2K self-leveling seam sealer. It didn't run as much as I thought it would once I dove in and started on it. I don't know how it would act on a vertical surface, but if you tool it, it seems to stay there pretty well. I only had some slight slopes to work with on my Nomad.

I found this video that might be interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPyiErqgb4