PDA

View Full Version : Helping "marry up" a friend's 56 HT and chassis... (What I did today)

BamaNomad
06-21-2017, 09:37 PM
I spent a long tiring day today assisting a friend put his newly painted 56 HT body on his AME/LS3 chassis. Here's a few photos that tell the story better than I can in words... :)

BamaNomad
06-21-2017, 09:44 PM
After securing the body by the rockers on the 2 post lift, we removed the rottisserie and got it out of the way, then wheeled the chassis back in under the body and aligned it as we lowered the body down.
The most difficult (and tiring) part of this phase was installing the rearmost 4-pairs of body mounts and securing them, as we had to do that without using the lift (The chassis has about 4" of clearance, and the arms of the 2-post lift would not go under the frame!)... I was worn out when I got home and took a couple of hours to rest my poor old body.. :)

But I sure cannot wait to see his car finished! It's a 525 hp LS3 crate engine with 6 speed and Ford 9" on an AME chassis with lots of custom parts and finishing by the owner (Dick B.).

Custer55
08-08-2017, 10:34 AM
Looks like a pretty cool project! Post some updated pictures if and when you can.
Brian

chevynut
08-08-2017, 10:47 AM
It's a 525 hp LS3 crate engine with 6 speed and Ford 9" on an AME chassis with lots of custom parts and finishing by the owner (Dick B.).

What "custom parts" are you referring to BN? Everything I see on the chassis looks like bolt-on stuff. I like seeing custom stuff. ;)

55 Rescue Dog
08-08-2017, 03:19 PM
The project looks awesome, and very "custom made" to me. Very unique.

BamaNomad
08-08-2017, 03:52 PM
He purchased an Art Morrison Frame with 9 inch in a 4 link, and purchased the engine/trans from Chevrolet. The OTS items he's purchased are top notch, but the items he's made himself are even better IMO... For retaining cables, etc... I'm using adel clamps; he machines two piece 'clamps' from aluminum and has them anodized before installing. That's one example. He's installing his dash items now; relocating the VA air system farther to the passenger side... with custom aluminum bulkhead bracket to carry the heater/ac lines thru the firewall under the fender. Little custom items mostly, but I love the way he's doing it and he a very well equipped shop to do it...

chevynut
08-08-2017, 04:37 PM
and very "custom made" to me. Very unique.

To me, "custom" means one-of-a-kind or hand-built. Buying stuff OTC that someone else made and bolting it all together isn't "custom" to me.

Looks like he did some nice custom exhaust work, but beyond that it looks like a standard AME frame with a GM crate engine and some custom plumbing. Not knocking the car, because I think it's very nice....but "custom" just doesn't ring for me. It's like Dan's "Bruiser" being featured in the "Homebuilt Heroes" section in Hot Rod Magazine. Nothing on it was "home-built". ;)

with custom aluminum bulkhead bracket to carry the heater/ac lines thru the firewall under the fender .

Like this? :)

BamaNomad
08-08-2017, 08:53 PM
To me, "custom" means one-of-a-kind or hand-built. Buying stuff OTC that someone else made and bolting it all together isn't "custom" to me.

Looks like he did some nice custom exhaust work, but beyond that it looks like a standard AME frame with a GM crate engine and some custom plumbing. Not knocking the car, because I think it's very nice....but "custom" just doesn't ring for me. It's like Dan's "Bruiser" being featured in the "Homebuilt Heroes" section in Hot Rod Magazine. Nothing on it was "home-built". ;)

Similar to that CN, except rather than purchase the OTS aluminum bulkhead piece, he machined an aluminum 'in line' bracket, then added mounting threads, sliced it half in two, then bolted it back together and bored the exactly correct sized holes which perfectly clamp his stainless braided hoses which come thru the firewall. I thought I had a photo, but I could not find it... I'll get some detail photos next time I visit his shop and show you some of his custom work.

MP&C
08-09-2017, 04:33 AM
The plate clamped to the exhaust crossover tube, is that a heat shield or ???

BamaNomad
08-09-2017, 05:47 AM
The plate clamped to the exhaust crossover tube, is that a heat shield or ???

I think you are referring to the plate which is attached between the trans and trans support and extends rear-wards a few inches and which the exhaust crossover is clamped to? If I'm not mistaken it's purpose is to serve as a mount point for the 'mid' exhaust support and keeps the exhaust in the center of the holes going thru the frame members.

55 Rescue Dog
08-09-2017, 06:12 AM

So exactly how many one-off hand built parts does a car need to be qualified as "custom" anyway? So, you can't buy any parts needed from Summit, or anywhere, or use any original parts to build a car for it to be custom?

BamaNomad
08-09-2017, 06:23 AM
It's like Dan's "Bruiser" being featured in the "Homebuilt Heroes" section in Hot Rod Magazine. Nothing on it was "home-built". ;-)

Obviously, the word 'custom' comes in degrees... a 'Custom' in most organizations judging guidelines means that the 'body' has been changed; that's the main difference between 'modified' and 'custom'. CNA places a car in the Custom class if any body metal was changed, even if only the firewall has been changed. (Dick's car will retain all the exterior sheetmetal and trim, but has had the firewall changed as well as the tunnel over the trans..)

Re the 'Bruiser'.. I agree with you re the 'homebuilt'... All his bodywork, mechanicals, paint was done in a custom shop in the carolinas, and the interior was done by another shop... I don't recall reading anything that Dan the owner himself did..

NickP
08-09-2017, 10:32 AM
I think you are referring to the plate which is attached between the trans and trans support and extends rear-wards a few inches and which the exhaust crossover is clamped to? If I'm not mistaken it's purpose is to serve as a mount point for the 'mid' exhaust support and keeps the exhaust in the center of the holes going thru the frame members.

JMHO & 2₵, but I see little if any support offered by this. A few properly placed Deeds clamps might offer more support and certainly less area for items to find themselves trapped. With the V-Band clamps I can't imagine any movement.

Rick_L
08-09-2017, 01:48 PM
My, my, there's some real pickiness going on. For no benefit to anyone.

Bluegrass Trifive
08-09-2017, 08:21 PM
I think it's a cool build and please keep posting pictures as they're very enjoyable. It doesn't have to make anyone happy but him and it obviously will. Custom or not? It is what it is.....and that's a really cool car.

markm
08-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Just makes them feel better to stroke their arrogant egos.

55 Rescue Dog
08-10-2017, 09:25 AM
The project looks awesome, and very "custom made" to me. Very unique.
I even consider a stock restoration as "custom", where every single part is restored, replaced, and back together better than they were new.

chevynut
08-10-2017, 03:23 PM
I'll get some detail photos next time I visit his shop and show you some of his custom work.

I'd love to see it. When you originally posted I thought you were referring to custom stuff on the chassis, which I didn't see. I think it's cool when guys make their own parts instead of buying OTS parts and bolting them on, but there's a limit to it or you'll never get done.....like me. :p:D

NickP
08-10-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who Mary is...................................

chevynut
08-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Obviously, the word 'custom' comes in degrees... a 'Custom' in most organizations judging guidelines means that the 'body' has been changed; that's the main difference between 'modified' and 'custom'.

I wasn't talking about a custom car, or what constitutes one. I was talking about the custom parts for the car that BN was referring to. My comment had nothing to do with any classes or judging.

A "custom" part is one that is not OTS. Not sure why that's so difficult for some to grasp. Cleaning and re-painting parts is NOT "custom". Buying an OTS part and bolting it on is not "custom". Even replacing a firewall with one from a supplier is not "custom" IMO because anyone can get one.

Custom is "one-off" or a part built specifically for one customer. Don't see why some of you have such an issue with discussing this.

chevynut
08-11-2017, 11:57 AM

My, my, why am I surprised to see a snide remark for no benefit to anyone. :D

chevynut
08-11-2017, 11:59 AM
I even consider a stock restoration as "custom", where every single part is restored, replaced, and back together better than they were new.

That's not "custom". None of the judging rules would consider it custom. And the discussion was about custom PARTS...get it now? :p

chevynut
08-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Just makes them feel better to stroke their arrogant egos.

Guess you already forgot about the new rules, eh marky? :D

55 Rescue Dog
08-11-2017, 01:44 PM
That's not "custom". None of the judging rules would consider it custom. And the discussion was about custom PARTS...get it now? :p
Okay, so is this car custom? I fabricated it from the ground up starting with 400 feet of steel tubing. The only 2 original parts are the front nose, and the windshield frame. All of the interior/exterior sheet metal was fabricated from flat sheets. It is the only one in existence, and I couldn't duplicate it 76447645again myself.

WagonWonder
08-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Okay, so is this car custom? I fabricated it from the ground up starting with 400 feet of steel tubing. The only 2 original parts are the front nose, and the windshield frame. All of the interior/exterior sheet metal was fabricated from flat sheets. It is the only one in existence, and I couldn't duplicate it 76447645again myself.

There may be some "CUSTOM PARTS" there but we cant see them.

55 Rescue Dog
08-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Practically the WHOLE car was custom made one piece at a time over an 18 year period.

chevynut
08-12-2017, 12:27 PM
JMHO & 2₵, but I see little if any support offered by this. A few properly placed Deeds clamps might offer more support and certainly less area for items to find themselves trapped. With the V-Band clamps I can't imagine any movement.

I agree with Nick that the h-pipe brace is a bad design as-shown, but for a different reason. When the exhaust pipes heat up they expand. The h-pipe needs to be able to move rearward to accommodate that expansion. If it can't move, it will stress the pipes.headers and with repeated thermal cycling something is probably going to crack.

A couple ways to address this....one, put expansion joints in front of the h-pipe. Or use Deeds clamps like Nick suggested or some other exhaust hanger that allows movement longitudinally but not laterally. That allows the pipes to expand and move freely. Also, it looks to me like he's never going to be able to remove the exhaust pipes from the frame....but maybe he never needs to. ;)

This is how I solved a similar problem with Deeds clamps:

chevynut
08-12-2017, 12:36 PM

He still doesn't understand that the discussion was about "custom parts", not custom cars. But as usual he changes the subject.

If you go back and read the thread, BN said there were lots of custom parts on the chassis (that's how I read it anyhow). I asked what was custom on it because I like to see custom parts people make, and RD has to chime in with his views on what constitutes a "custom CAR", taking the thread off on a tangent like he always does. Let him argue with himself. :D

55 Rescue Dog
08-12-2017, 03:11 PM
He still doesn't understand that the discussion was about "custom parts", not custom cars. But as usual he changes the subject.

If you go back and read the thread, BN said there were lots of custom parts on the chassis (that's how I read it anyhow). I asked what was custom on it because I like to see custom parts people make, and RD has to chime in with his views on what constitutes a "custom CAR", taking the thread off on a tangent like he always does. Let him argue with himself. :D
Thanks again for the kind words, and setting the example for proper forum etiquette. I was never referring to custom cars, only that a custom car is composed of many custom parts made, or restored. I only used my car as an example, because that is exactly what I tried to do, was hand make as many, and most of the parts of the car including most of the body parts, each piece of steel, and every other part used to create the car on the fly. It was only about $15k in money, and probably 3-4 thousand hours, many of which was spent just trying to figure out how to create a car from SCRATCH!!! Too much money in a car always decreases most of the fun of building a car, and the time spent on it is priceless.

Rick_L
08-12-2017, 05:06 PM
I figured that following the rules - good manners and treating others with respect wouldn't last forever here. A real shame.

WagonWonder
08-13-2017, 06:00 PM
I figured that following the rules - good manners and treating others with respect wouldn't last forever here. A real shame.

Not that it matters to me but to some, it seems to - Mr. Rick - All I observe is you trying to push someone's button or goad them into an argument which I see as contrary regarding Mr. Sid's rules. I don't think anyone here, including myself due to biting the bait is lily white.

Rick_L
08-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Maybe the message is shoot the messenger.

I thought Cnut's criticism of Bama Nomad's friend's car was out of line, as well as his other reactions. Maybe you don't see it that way. At least one other did. And there was more.

BamaNomad
08-14-2017, 06:03 AM
I wasn't talking about a custom car, or what constitutes one. I was talking about the custom parts for the car that BN was referring to. My comment had nothing to do with any classes or judging.

A "custom" part is one that is not OTS. Not sure why that's so difficult for some to grasp. Cleaning and re-painting parts is NOT "custom". Buying an OTS part and bolting it on is not "custom". Even replacing a firewall with one from a supplier is not "custom" IMO because anyone can get one.

Custom is "one-off" or a part built specifically for one customer. Don't see why some of you have such an issue with discussing this.

Lordy! :) Have you fellas not had ANYTHING to do except argue while I was at the TriFive nats? :) Calm down! All of you... I'm smiling. I didn't get angry/upset at CN having a different opinion of the word 'custom' than I do... nor should anyone else. It's interesting to discuss among ourselves how we see or understand different things (or even different words), but let's keep ourselves civil.. don't get *personal*.. *Don't say bad things about other's cars*.. (or wives/children/girlfriends/mothers/etc either!).. :)

CN's def of custom is FINE (for him), just as other's defs are fine for them.. We EACH have an opinion (about just about everything).. God gave us all that limited ability! :)

CN: My photos were to give an overall 'picture' of his car, NOT to showcase the many small "CUSTOM" parts he has made which are totally unique to him and his shop and car, but when I get a chance I will take some photos just for you... :)

PS. I gave the definition that most car clubs use for 'custom' in their judging guidelines; *typically* when people change their BODY sheetmetal, which puts them into a 'CUSTOM class', they don't stop there... they make MANY totally custom/unique parts in many areas of their car to show their unique customizing abilities.. and the degree to which they do that is what distinguishes the first place winners from the also rans...

markm
08-14-2017, 06:13 AM

I thought Cnut's criticism of Bama Nomad's friend's car was out of line, as well as his other reactions. Maybe you don't see it that way. At least one other did. And there was more.

I too felt this way, Bamas friends car did not deserve Cnuts comment.

BamaNomad
08-14-2017, 06:19 AM
I too felt this way, Bamas friends car did not deserve Cnuts comment.

GUYS! Let's stop this... please. I did not take CN's comments as criticism of my friend's car... He may have 'over interpreted' or mis interpreted my use of the word 'custom' given the photos I posted (because I didn't post any detail photos of his 'custom parts'... but that's OK. I have NO PROBLEM with someone having a different opinion than my own. and Miscommunications can be corrected, but personal criticisms generally do not get corrected ... and I believe that's the reason this 'issue' (if it is one) has gone on so long. Let's keep our comments 'impersonal'... but please be an opinionated as you need to be.. we all can learn by comparing our own opinions with others, regardless of how diverse they might be..

IF this site has to have personal criticisms among a few people, then how about we have a 'FIGHTS/DISAGREEMENTS' forum, where you guys can say anything you want about anyone else (and the rest of us can stay out of it and continue reading about our cars)...??

chevynut
08-22-2017, 11:11 AM

What was "out of line" Rick? BamaNomad referred to the chassis having "lots of custom parts". I asked what was custom about it. He mentioned a few things the owner made. Then you jumped in with your unnecessary comments as usual. You and marky are two peas in a pod, always looking for a fight or an opportunity to attack someone. Marky made the first attack above, but as usual you don't mention that. Funny how you become so concerned about what people say about another guy's project, when you're usually the critic.

In mentioning the exhaust being clamped as it is, I was making an observation that I thought was legitimate, to help the owner address it before it caused a problem. I guess you think that's wrong too.

So come on Rick and Marky, tell me WHAT WAS OUT OF LINE or just shut the hell up and ignore my posts.

chevynut
08-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Here they are Rick, every comment I made on this thread about Bama's friend's chassis. Now tell me which one was supposedly "out of line":

"What "custom parts" are you referring to BN? Everything I see on the chassis looks like bolt-on stuff. I like seeing custom stuff. ;-)"

"To me, "custom" means one-of-a-kind or hand-built. Buying stuff OTC that someone else made and bolting it all together isn't "custom" to me.

"Looks like he did some nice custom exhaust work, but beyond that it looks like a standard AME frame with a GM crate engine and some custom plumbing. Not knocking the car, because I think it's very nice....but "custom" just doesn't ring for me."

"I'd love to see it. When you originally posted I thought you were referring to custom stuff on the chassis, which I didn't see. I think it's cool when guys make their own parts instead of buying OTS parts and bolting them on, but there's a limit to it or you'll never get done.....like me. :razz::-D"

"I agree with Nick that the h-pipe brace is a bad design as-shown, but for a different reason. When the exhaust pipes heat up they expand. The h-pipe needs to be able to move rearward to accommodate that expansion. If it can't move, it will stress the pipes.headers and with repeated thermal cycling something is probably going to crack."

markm
08-22-2017, 12:16 PM
This thread was dead and all but forgotten until now, this clearly shows who the trouble maker is and why this site is stagnate.

Rick_L
08-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Well said markm.

Cnut, maybe you should ignore MY posts if they set you off 2 weeks after posting, and a week after other comments. I guess the hurt lingers.

55 Rescue Dog
08-23-2017, 08:40 AM
At least with all the different opinions, it all makes this forum slightly more interesting, and thought provoking than other sites. The shaming, name calling out, is a little over the top though.

WagonWonder
08-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Assuming you are addressing me Mr. Rick, so keeping score to validate your thought process and reasoning? Quite interesting. I recall some case studies in my psychology classes that parallel your position on this.

Rick_L
08-23-2017, 06:51 PM
So it's confirmed, your message is to shoot the messenger.