PDA

View Full Version : electric power steering

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 10:09 AM
OK no yelling http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/563/563-2005.jpg

Has anyone used this or know of anyone that has ? EPAS Performance Application Specific Electric Power Steering Conversion Kits ?

chevynut
07-18-2017, 10:15 AM
I've read a little about EPS on the internet and there are some guys making their own systems from OEM parts. I think the challenge is fitting it under the dash. It's a proven technology.

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 10:22 AM
I was thinking about doing this. The battery is going in the trunk Im going with your c4 conv but I really wanted to have a clean firewall and eng bay.................. This would get a lot out of the bay in my mind.

chevynut
07-18-2017, 10:25 AM
So here's something to think about. If you use EPS you eliminate the PS pump but you'd have to use a manual rack. What do you plan to do for brakes? If you go with Hydroboost you'll still need the pump. You could go with electric brakes too. What exactly are you trying to "clean up"?

chevynut
07-18-2017, 10:34 AM
The C4 setup is a front-steer rack that resides under the engine's harmonic damper. All you see is the steering shaft from the column to the rack. There's really nothing on the firewall. I think finding a compatible manual rack would be a challenge too.

This is a 55 Chevy with a 392 Hemi that we're working on. I installed a 32" column to get the steering shaft angle right, and it worked. It's tight but it fits and that's all you see. It would look the same with an EPS setup, I think.

Here's my Nomad with a 35" column for a better angle.

55 Rescue Dog
07-18-2017, 10:46 AM
It looks like it could be a good setup with for stock 55 manual steering. But only if it has a gear reduction, or maybe it does? The make inline steering quickners for oval track cars I know. That would take room too.

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 10:48 AM
OK so this is what got me thinking about this.... I was reading your post on what you have to do with the rack as far as turning it to have room for the lines ..... was trying to find a way around that and ran up on EPS as far as brake booster I was thinking on putting that under the car If I could find a way I have seen it done, all the line and wires are going to be hid I will have ac in the car

chevynut
07-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Turning the rack is no big deal nor is making the new lines if that's your concern. I may even offer a hose kit for it since I've done it a couple of times now. And again, finding a manual rack to bolt in is going to be practically impossible due to the way the C4 rack is mounted. And you'd have to get the same pivot points and the same mounting height to avoid bump steer. So count on a lot of figuring and fab work, if it can be done at all. The C4 rack is a high performance one with 1.96 or 2.36 turns lock to lock. I don't see what an EPS buys you in this case.

Also, I don't think you're going to be able to put a vacuum booster under the floor, especially with full-length headers. I know it's been done but I'm not sure how it was done. Maybe a Hydroboost would fit.

They also make a 90 degree brake MC/booster mount that fits under the dash.

My solution to a clean firewall was to move my electric brake booster over around 9-10" to the drivers side similar to the stock Tri5 Treadle Vac setup. I have a remote brake fluid tank with a level sensor feeding it. It's all under my custom inner fenders.

I've been there and considered just about everything :geek:. If I was you I would keep the C4 rack and use a PS pump to run it, then put a hydroboost or ABS electric power brake setup either under the dash or under the car. The electric brake setup would cost about the same as the EPS, I think.

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 12:24 PM
ok I'm not a mechanic what is the last pic of the black ball ?

chevynut
07-18-2017, 12:29 PM
ok I'm not a mechanic what is the last pic of the black ball ?

LOL! :) That's the accumulator for the electric power brake system. A pump pressurizes brake fluid to 2500 PSI which is then fed into the booster. The same fluid is used to actuate the brakes. The pump only runs when the pressure drops to a certain point after multiple brake actuations.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/ehpm.html

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/iframearticle3.html

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 12:31 PM
made in Germany ?

chevynut
07-18-2017, 12:33 PM
made in Germany ?

Good stuff! :) :)

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 12:34 PM
ok so I stick with the c4 power steering.......... now I need that as well ? Not that I have a problem with it I just need to know

chevynut
07-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Shaun, I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're wanting to clean up your firewall, I don't see where the EPS will clean it up at all. You'd still have a shaft coming through the firewall to the rack just like with the C4 hydraulic steering. All you would do is lose the PS pump. If you lose the PS pump, then Hydroboost braking is out. So in that case you'd have to go with a vacuum booster or an electric booster....or manual brakes.

If you keep the C4 hydraulic PS and pump, the pump can be used to drive the Hydroboost brake booster. Then you could relocate it off the firewall somehow, either under the dash or under the body.

The reason I used the ABS Power Brake electric booster is that it's smaller than a Hydroboost, which gave me clearance to my tire. A hydroboost and MC would not have fit there because it's about 14" long. The electric booster is about 10".

I'm not trying to tell you how to do it, just giving you ideas and tradeoffs. I think the EPS is a good setup for the right application, but to me a C4 steering application isn't it.

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm off the EPS you got me off that....... to tell you the truth I have been going though your pics on your car and I am at a loss for words WOW

I love what you did with your booster but I didn't really want to go ABS are you running ABS or just using the booster ? Keep in mind you are doing this frame I just trying to work out the details and I do not have your talent .....again WOW

chevynut
07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
I didn't really want to go ABS are you running ABS or just using the booster ?

I'm not using ABS, that's the name of the company...ABS Power Brake, Inc. as posted in the links above. I don't know why they named it that.

SHAUNS56
07-18-2017, 02:55 PM
LOL OK that makes me feel better

Rick_L
07-18-2017, 07:21 PM
The ABS brake unit is based on a Bosch OEM unit. The only car I know of that had them was the Turbo Buick of the 80s, before they went to hydroboost. There must have been others.

The reputation on that unit's reliability is not all that great. That said, a friend has one on a 57 Chevy, it's been there for 12 years and it's worked well after going through some teething problems on the install which ABS took care of.

On the electric power steering, I've heard some complain that some versions don't have good road feel and tend to over boost the steering and wander - other versions are good in that area. So if you're interested in it, do your homework and get as much info as possible.

My feeling on it is that you're trading components/bulkiness in one area for the same in another. More stuff under the dash isn't what many need either.

I'd sure like to drive a conversion or two just to see what it's like.

chevynut
07-18-2017, 08:05 PM
The Buick PowerMax and HydroMax boosters are similar to the ABS Power Brake setup, but not the same.

Here's a Bosch/Bendix Hydro-Max:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-133549433942608/new-bosch-hydromax-power-brake-boosters-1.jpg

And here's a Power Max used in some GNs:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/naCdggLVuX0/maxresdefault.jpg

Then there's this one from some other OEM application. I read that a lot of '80's European cars used systems like this.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/RSK1968/brake_components.jpg

Oldxr
12-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Ford used the Bosch electric booster in the late eighties Thunderbird turbo coupe and Lincoln’s .It was a unit that was part of the anti-lock brake system.They all had that big black steel ball accumulator .

custer
12-15-2017, 03:08 PM
I use eps on 1 of my cars and so far I love it. I does take up a little room but no belts no pulleys and nice for moving car around without engine running. Can't tell you what make of car its in because Chevynut will get upset with me because it is not my Tri Five.

custer
12-15-2017, 03:13 PM
I use EPS on one of my cars and so far I love it. It does take up a little room but no pump belt or pulleys and you can move car around with out engine running. Can't tell you what car its on because Chevynut will get upset again because it is not on a Tri Five

chevynut
12-15-2017, 03:57 PM
I'll get more upset with you posting the same shit twice. LOL! :D