PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Five Nationals

OLKY55
07-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Getting ready for the Tri-FIve Nationals. Looking forward to seeing some of the best Tri-Fives in the world. Who else is going?

BamaNomad
07-23-2017, 02:36 PM
I'm planning on being there, and with the green/ivory Nomad (hopefully).. Say Hi if you see me and I'll do the same if I see you! :)

Gary

Bluegrass Trifive
07-23-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm going but I'm not even remotely close to having my 57 done. I'm going to be hanging with a couple of friends who are going to be doing some exhibition/match racing. It should be a fun weekend. 7587

smooth 56
07-24-2017, 07:29 AM
I plan on being there if I can get the 56 sorted out. Went to the hot rod reunion there last month and had some electrical issues after one of the worst thunder storms I have ever seen. Still can't get the thing to go into lock up.

567chevys
07-24-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm going but I'm not even remotely close to having my 57 done. I'm going to be hanging with a couple of friends who are going to be doing some exhibition/match racing. It should be a fun weekend. 7587

That looks like a Blast,
To bad the nationals don't move to some different states

Thanks Sid

Rick_L
07-24-2017, 04:47 PM
OLKY55, did you get the "other" car done?

Hope you have a great trip.

OLKY55
07-24-2017, 05:48 PM
OLKY55, did you get the "other" car done?

Hope you have a great trip.

Rick,
Sadly, the green car is not yet ready and will not make it to it's 60th birthday party. This pic was taken today.

I grew up near Bowling Green and still have a lot of family near. We will still have fun in the white car.

smooth 56
08-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Well don't look like I will be at the nationals after all. Lost forth gear It was going in lock all along just don't have enough time to fix it. Y'all have a good time and be safe see ya next year.

567chevys
08-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Smooth ,
Sorry to hear your having problems with the car ,

I see you have posted very much here lately,
How are you doing ?

Thanks Sid

smooth 56
08-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks Sid just put a new motor and trans in it over the winter 383 and 700r4 I have had trouble with the trans from day one. Guess I just don't understand the 700's yet.
AS far as posting just been real busy with work and trying to get a new business off the ground. Getting ready to retire from the job I have and do paint and body on these old cars we love so much full time. Have a 47 chevy truck coming in soon as I get mine back together and a 54 chevy delivery coming soon as the truck is done. I'll try to visit more when time permits.
Sorry OKLY55 didn't mean to hi jack your thread.

JT56
08-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Getting ready for the Tri-FIve Nationals. Looking forward to seeing some of the best Tri-Fives in the world. Who else is going?

Sure like this car! Injection Stacks is what I wanted back in the day...very cool ride

OLKY55
08-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Sure like this car! Injection Stacks is what I wanted back in the day...very cool ride

Thanks. I had wanted stack injectors since I first saw them on gassers at Beech Bend in the early 70's.

Rick_L
08-03-2017, 06:36 PM
I've seen OLKY55's setup up close and heard it run. It's way cool.

MadMooks
08-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Wish we could have went this year. I think they said over 2700 tri fives . Little under 100 nomads . Pretty awesome

BamaNomad
08-14-2017, 05:42 AM
I just got back yesterday afternoon (and ended up in my recliner/reading/resting/sleeping) once I'd unloaded the Nomad. The '56 made it up there with no major issues (wtih the AC working!!).. :) but Friday evening when we started out of beech bend, the starter solenoid just 'CLICKED... dead battery! No one left had battery cables, but fortunately another trifiver was close by and volunteered to let me use his battery to start it and then we did a 'hot swap' of the cables back to my battery, which got us out of the park and to an Advance Auto Parts where I purchased a new battery. As my wife said at the time.. 'It's great that car guys are so willing to help when one has a problem!~" (that can't always be said of people in general).. Thanks Fellow Trifiver from Delaware! :)

The show was great... nearly 3000 cars.. many vendors... much drag racing... and TIRING! :) speaking of the drag racing... two cars running side by side ran equal '6 flat' 233mph runs on Saturday! (Pretty awesome)... :)

I bought some parts in the swap meet for both my '56 and 57 Nomads and a friend from Georgia delivered a lower left control arm to me for replacing the one I had to 'borrow' last month! :)

Going up I got 18.8 mpg on the 350 crate engine/edelbrock carb/intake/TCI 350 trans... using NON-ethanol fuel. Coming home (ethanol fuel) I got just under 17 mpg... I was VERY pleased with mpg going up there as I had not previously checked my mileage since installing the 3.08 rear.
I'll post some photos if anyone is interested, but I have to download them from my camera first.. :)

Gary

WagonCrazy
08-14-2017, 06:52 AM
Glad to hear the trip went well. Sounds like that show has become a destination for you guys in that region of the country. heck yes...we'd love to see some pics of the cars that caught your eye.

smooth 56
08-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Well I did make it to the nationals after all. Sure had a good time looking forward to next year.

Bluegrass Trifive
08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
I just got back yesterday afternoon (and ended up in my recliner/reading/resting/sleeping) once I'd unloaded the Nomad. The '56 made it up there with no major issues (wtih the AC working!!).. :) but Friday evening when we started out of beech bend, the starter solenoid just 'CLICKED... dead battery! No one left had battery cables, but fortunately another trifiver was close by and volunteered to let me use his battery to start it and then we did a 'hot swap' of the cables back to my battery, which got us out of the park and to an Advance Auto Parts where I purchased a new battery. As my wife said at the time.. 'It's great that car guys are so willing to help when one has a problem!~" (that can't always be said of people in general).. Thanks Fellow Trifiver from Delaware! :)

The show was great... nearly 3000 cars.. many vendors... much drag racing... and TIRING! :) speaking of the drag racing... two cars running side by side ran equal '6 flat' 233mph runs on Saturday! (Pretty awesome)... :)

I bought some parts in the swap meet for both my '56 and 57 Nomads and a friend from Georgia delivered a lower left control arm to me for replacing the one I had to 'borrow' last month! :)

Going up I got 18.8 mpg on the 350 crate engine/edelbrock carb/intake/TCI 350 trans... using NON-ethanol fuel. Coming home (ethanol fuel) I got just under 17 mpg... I was VERY pleased with mpg going up there as I had not previously checked my mileage since installing the 3.08 rear.
I'll post some photos if anyone is interested, but I have to download them from my camera first.. :)

Gary Here's the time slip from the 55 & 57 run. 55 is on the left. They're pretty closely matched. Both were tuned a little on the conservative side. 7654

BamaNomad
08-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Bluegrass Trifive:

Thanks for providing the time slip detail to my posting of the speeds... I didn't see the runs, only heard them over the loudspeaker! Seeing the actual detailed timeslip is even more awesome! :)

BamaNomad
08-14-2017, 07:32 PM
76557656765776587659Re pix: I had my camera set on a low/medium resolution, so they didn't come out great.. For the BEST detail car photos, SEETHEUSA's postings are the best... https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176179

To give folks an idea of the size of the arena and the numbers of cars.. Here are a few broad area view photos I made from a little rise on the site..

BamaNomad
08-14-2017, 07:35 PM
These photos were made from near the southern border of the site (opposite from the drag strip and a long way from the wooded are along the Barren River... I've probably captured maybe 1/3 of the show area with these 7 photos...

NickP
08-15-2017, 07:36 AM
Can you just imagine the total dollars spent to get each one pictured to this point...........................................

BamaNomad
08-15-2017, 05:15 PM
MANY $$Millions$$ of dollars....

OLKY55
08-18-2017, 06:32 PM
The son and I had a great time, even though we got rained on Saturday. We're kind of rain challenged. It is still amazing to me that they had over 2900 Tri-Fives and no two were the same. Saw BamaNomad's car, but not him. He was probably like us, walking around looking at cars.

BamaNomad
08-18-2017, 08:59 PM
WE were parked back in the woods by the river, trying to find a place that was shady all day.. :) I'm sorry I wasn't around when you came thru that area... Yep, I was probably in the vendor area buying parts ... lusting over other cars.. visiting with friends from other places.. etc... :)

WagonCrazy
08-24-2017, 06:22 AM
Well I guess us west coasters will need to plan a cross country road trip sometime, to hit this show and take in the other sites in the area (thinking the Corvette plant & museum).