PDA

View Full Version : Trunk strikers

MadMooks
08-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Sneak peak of our next one. Billet stainless trunk strikers. Not polished yet.

Bluegrass Trifive
08-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Sneak peak of our next one. Billet stainless trunk strikers. Not polished yet. Did I see one of those on a 55 at the Nationals?

chevynut
08-16-2017, 07:18 PM
So Madmooks 55-57 Nomad Parts isn't just Nomads anymore!! Seems like you're reaching out to a bigger market. Nice stuff.

MadMooks
08-16-2017, 08:39 PM
Did I see one of those on a 55 at the Nationals?

Not one of these. We had our billet stainless door strikers on a badass 55 nomad, dark blue. Apparently he showed dozens of people the strikers, opening and closing the door for them to show how they functioned. Great exposure for us.

MadMooks
08-16-2017, 08:44 PM
So Madmooks 55-57 Nomad Parts isn't just Nomads anymore!! Seems like you're reaching out to a bigger market. Nice stuff.

i blame guys like you who require only the best for their rides . Making this stuff is a lot of fun, more to come

WagonCrazy
08-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Polished stainless dash inserts please... Don't make me buy those billet ones....I'm getting close to needing one for the 57 nomad.
With clock hole
Without radio hole
:)

MadMooks
08-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Polished stainless dash inserts please... Don't make me buy those billet ones....I'm getting close to needing one for the 57 nomad.
With clock hole
Without radio hole
:)

That project is on the back burner, there are a few other things I want to do before that

chevynut
08-17-2017, 02:54 PM
there are a few other things I want to do before that

Are you going to whittle some smoothie bumpers out of stainless? :D

BamaNomad
08-17-2017, 03:17 PM
How about a stamped steel upper liftgate for our Nomads... :)

MadMooks
08-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Are you going to whittle some smoothie bumpers out of stainless? :D

I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought of it. It's far out of our budget , but thought about it many times.

MadMooks
08-17-2017, 05:07 PM
How about a stamped steel upper liftgate for our Nomads... :)

Lol no sorry buddy . If we did it wouldn't be stamped

WagonCrazy
08-18-2017, 10:02 AM
Mike, we're all just pushing you in different directions on very real needs we (in the Tri5 world) have for upgraded-stainless steel parts we desire.
Milling down a 5 or 6 foot wide block of raw stainless to make a polished bumper or dash insert or liftgate frame would definately be an investment of time and money for you.
But hey, we gotta ask so you can gauge interest...right?
Carry on. You're doing great work.

MadMooks
08-18-2017, 11:28 AM
If I had to do it, it would be formed like they currently do but just using STAINLESS instead of steel. It's more for conversation if anything.

chevynut
08-18-2017, 11:41 AM
But forming stainless is a helluva lot harder than forming mild steel.:eek:

Mike, I assume your parts are made of billet stainless so there's a lot of waste, especially in things like your tailgate strikers. Have you looked into pre-forming the stainless before milling? Don't know how that would affect the cost. I'd really like to see the setup your guys use to machine these parts. Some parts obviously have to be milled from both sides.

MadMooks
08-18-2017, 12:36 PM
But forming stainless is a helluva lot harder than forming mild steel.:eek:

Mike, I assume your parts are made of billet stainless so there's a lot of waste, especially in things like your tailgate strikers. Have you looked into pre-forming the stainless before milling? Don't know how that would affect the cost. I'd really like to see the setup your guys use to machine these parts. Some parts obviously have to be milled from both sides.

Yea it's definitely harder to form stainless. Again, this is just all conversation . Not gonna happen

Yea I always discuss with the machinists different ways to cut costs. Both door and tailgate strikers get milled on top and bottom. The door strikers had a few different setups . He's using a 3 axis.

I initially wanted to form the tg strikers back in 2012 but I didn't like the price. Glad I went the machine route as it looks so much cleaner than stamped strikers . Not a fan of how they are pinched in the middle. Pretty crude looking .

MadMooks
08-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Chevynut, didn't you mill tailgate hinges for ur nomad? I don't think I ever got to see them. Any pictures?

chevynut
08-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Chevynut, didn't you mill tailgate hinges for ur nomad? I don't think I ever got to see them. Any pictures?

Yes I had a friend mill a pair out of steel with offset holes because I couldn't get the tailgate to fit right. However, once I started grinding gaps I went back to the stock hinges I had. I also have a pair of chrome ones, but I prefer that they don't stand out......would have liked to get rid of them altogether. That's something you should sell. ;)

MadMooks
08-25-2017, 06:16 AM
Look pretty badass polished up

chevynut
08-25-2017, 07:45 AM
That's too nice to keep your trunk closed. :)

NickP
08-25-2017, 07:57 AM
purty

MadMooks
08-25-2017, 08:11 AM
That's too nice to keep your trunk closed. :)

Agreed. This is a work of art. I got the idea after seeing my buddy's nice 55 hardtop. I looked at his striker and the metal was cracked and surface rusted where the latch hits the striker. This was a no brainer for us.