PDA

View Full Version : Car lifts

chevynut
03-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Thinking about the design of my new shop and considering adding a lift. In general, I think lifts take up a lot of room and get in the way when you're not using them, so I have not considered one before. My shop addition is going to be 34' deep and 38' wide. The current shop is 26' deep and 44' wide. My ceilings are only about 11 feet high and I noticed there are lifts that work at that height. A tri5 is only about 52" from the bottom of the frame to the top of the roof, so you could get over 6 feet under it.

But what do you do when you're not using it? Do these things bolt to the floor? What's required to do that?

Are there any other good lift solutions that don't take up a whole bay?

Run-em
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
There are portable car lifts that, when not in use, fold up and will line up on a wall. Don't know how easy to set up or if they are electric or air power. Surely others will chime in with their favorite machine.

40delivery
03-30-2012, 06:57 AM
I have a drive on 4 post lift I built my garage so that I can raise it 72in high. I have 12 foot walls so that everything clears, have to have opening between rails to allow it go that high.Car on lift about 5 foot high when up 11 foot at top, my lift is not anchored to floor has wheels to move around if needed

picker45
03-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Chevynut, just build a bigger shop and don't worry about the room for the lift, it's just money!

chevynut
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Picker, I was going to build a bigger second shop on my lot (2.3 acres), but decided I wasn't going to stay here long enough to justify the added cost of another gas and electric installation and a shop like I really want. So I decided to just expand the current shop by more than doubling it's size. I just want a "clean" area to assemble my Nomad, and a place to store ATVs and such outside of my storage shed. An additional ~1300 SF should be enough for that.

I'll plan a lift in my next shop. I'm thinking of a 60x80 building.....;)

jim '57
03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
I know it's old school, but have you thought about a pit? A lot cheaper and gives you stand up access to the underside of the car.
Jim

picker45
03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Chevynut, I've got a 40x60 and 14' tall. I work with wood alot so it makes it terrible in a shop with the dust. I made a paint booth in one corner that I'll use for assembling stuff and keep the dirty stuff in the rest of the shop. I love my shop, I wouldn't change anything except add another section for a wood shop. It's so great to have stuff put up and know where it is when you need it. I've lived all my life in 2 car garages and built my first car in there, I hated it, I still have extra parts that I bought twice cause I couldn't find it. I've got 2 acres and haven't even cleared it all of the brush and have plenty of room for more buildings, just need money. Later BH

Run-em
03-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Picker45

Sell off the extra parts you bought twice--that might help a little with the money!

destroyertta
03-31-2012, 02:15 PM
seen this lift www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/4-Post-Lifts-p/ss7000-d.htm online you can put wheels on it and move it around even with the car on it and use the whole thing as a car dolly this way if you need it in another part of the shop you can just move it or if a car does not run you can still move it just like using gojacks a friend of mine has a lift just like it and he is looking to get another one he thinks its great but good luck with the new shop

warren57
08-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I've got a 12000# American two post. 12' height.
Like it a lot, works great. They have many sizes available. On their website they give installation instructions.
I had the opportunity to plan ahead and poured a thickened slab at the attachment points when I poured the floor. I believe all they require is a 4"slab. They use 3/4" expansion anchors on the attachment points.
Easy to install, I did it by myself in a day.662663

NickP
08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I'll plan a lift in my next shop. I'm thinking of a 60x80 building.....;)

Not big enough.

567chevys
08-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Hey Guys

I just bought a rotary 10,000 pound lift . Be careful when buying one . Rotary are the best on the market .
Watch this video most guys selling lifts over rate them and that very bad !!!

http://youtu.be/XLUjq6ijvVc

567chevys
08-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Just installed the lift today , took around 2 hours
No more laying on my back !!!!

chevynut
08-19-2012, 03:53 PM
Looks good Sid! Wish I could commit the room for a lift, but I need space more than I need a lift.

567chevys
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
They really dont take up much room plus you can store a car up and one under it
Also good for lifting the body off the frame.