PDA

View Full Version : Longer upper ball joints

56Mark
12-19-2017, 03:25 PM
My car is dropped 2" in the front with drop spindles. I have added power steering. I bought the stock looking CPP upper A arms that add 5* caster but never got around to putting them on. I may try to do that next week. I am considering taller upper ball joints too to improve the camber curve. I was looking at these that Rock Auto has for $44 each. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8725096&cc=1326305&jsn=414

Anyone used these and have any input?

Summit has these for $50. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/art-90000894?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-ridetech&gclid=CjwKCAiAjuPRBRBxEiwAeQ2QPkJQG_qRfypTRdWwsRb8 peXePMjH06phOfW26a99-mw-kudQqO6VFBoCZG0QAvD_BwE

I remember someone makes one that is 0.9" taller too but cost about twice as much. Is 1/2" enough? The car is a cruiser but the roads in upper east Tennessee aren't exactly straight so I see my share of curves. I know a couple of you build frames and know way more about this than I do. Input appreciated. If I get to it next week, I will try to post some pictures.

markm
12-19-2017, 05:14 PM
I have stock spindles with the 5 degree caster uppers with 500 PS on my 55 and 56 both, love the way they drive over stock.

Rick_L
12-19-2017, 05:39 PM
I doubt if you'll see enough improvement to warrant using only 1/2" longer.

The Rockauto ball joints may have the stock bolt pattern, at least they have a 3 bolt pattern. The Summit ball joints have a 4 bolt pattern, definitely won't be a bolt in if you can do it at all.

56Mark
12-19-2017, 06:00 PM
I doubt if you'll see enough improvement to warrant using only 1/2" longer.

The Rockauto ball joints may have the stock bolt pattern, at least they have a 3 bolt pattern. The Summit ball joints have a 4 bolt pattern, definitely won't be a bolt in if you can do it at all.
Thanks
Yeah, I noticed that on the Summit ones after I posted it. They are out.
Howe racing is who had the 0.9" ones and they are about $83 each.
I am going to replace the ones that came on the CPP arms anyway, so either new ones or move the stock type ones that are on the car now since they only have a couple thousand miles one them.
Still undecided.

chevynut
12-19-2017, 06:44 PM
I did some analysis of the longer balljoints here some time ago when Rockytopper was pushing them. They do improve the camber curve of the stock suspension somewhat so they might be worth using. One thing you might want to be careful of if you use them is that if you use 15" wheels they might interfere with the balljoint...not sure. I seem to remember people having issues with their wheels rubbing the stock balljoints for some reason years ago. Take a look at the clearance you have now and what would happen if the upper a-arm moved up .9".

56Mark
12-19-2017, 07:10 PM
I do have 15" wheels. I will check that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

56Mark
12-20-2017, 11:47 AM
It looks like with the dropped spindles I have plenty of room. I could see where stock spindles might have a problem depending on wheel backspace. I think my wheels are 3/8" further to the outside than stock (at the mounting face). They are 15x7's with 1/4" offset to the inside of the car. The brake kit set the wheels out 5/8" on each side over track width.
Still not sure what I am going to use for ball joints. I am doubting I will get $175 worth of benefit for the .9" joints since it is a driven fairly mild most of the time.

55 Tony
12-20-2017, 05:54 PM
I put them on with stock spindles and 15" wheels with no problem. I can't think of the name of the place I bought mine from, but they are the Howe brand ones and they sell them a good deal cheaper than the factory. I believe if you call the factory they will know the name of the dealer I got mine from. They are somewhere around north east PA. The Howe ones will last you a lifetime, you can actually tighten them if they wear and get loose. And/or buy just the parts to rebuild them.