PDA

View Full Version : My 56 Chevy HT Progress

TrifiveRichard
02-06-2018, 11:03 AM
I recently joined the site, and thought I'd share some of my progress on our 56 chevy 2dr ht. We purchased the car back in 2013, and really got started on it in late 2014, so it's taken a while. I am now finishing up the electrical, have the windshield and rear glass to install yet, add fluids, and start it up. Then it will go to the upholsterer.

We bought the car in LA while on a trip there, and had it shipped to AL. The body has been dipped, then I completed the sheetmetal work. The body was pretty good, but did need inner/outer rockers, trunk lower lip, driver and passenger foot wells replaced.

The build is a restomod, with the body virtually stock on the outside. The chassis is an Art Morrison GT55 with coilers on all 4 corners and 2" dropped front spindles. The reared is a 9" posi with 3.73 gears. The wheels are around 2013 corvette chrome GM units, front 8.5x18 and 9.5x19 (as I recall). The motor is GM LS3/525hp, with GM accessories, except A/C compressor (Sanden from Vintage Air). The trans is a TREMEC magnum close ratio unit. The exterior color is base/clear coat black. The interior will be an older Ferrari cream/yellowish color. We added power windows/door locks, DVR receiver/amp, rain gear under dash wiper motor, vintage air A/C, Classic instruments gauge cluster. The front seats are 2006ish GTO, and the rear will be hand built by the upholsterer to complement the front.

Attached are a few pictures of progress along the way, and as it sets today.

56Safari
02-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Looks pretty sharp man. I like the H pipe made from V bands, I wasn't aware that the Art Morrison chassis had provisions for that.

busterwivell
02-06-2018, 12:22 PM
WOW! You are making my 56 project look like junk! Nice work!

BamaNomad
02-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Having watched Dick's work and progress on his '56 HT over the past 3-4 yrs, it's my opinion that it's going to be a real hit at any shows he takes it to once completed... including the biggest TriFive shows!

PS. I noticed he didn't say anything about the 'Infinity' system he installed... :) .. or the 3 Farad capacitor... :) I told him he's the first/only fella ever to install one of those infinity systems in an automobile, but maybe I'm wrong!~ :)

TrifiveRichard
02-06-2018, 02:25 PM
thanks for the comments guys. The Morrison chassis doesn't come with the holes for the H-pipe. I cut out round sections in the inner frame rails and welded in 3.5" tubes. The exhaust goes thru those. The pipe is mounted solid to the trans side of the trans mount, much like the C3 corvettes did.

Gary (BamaNomad) is quite an advocate of Infinitybox! This is the first time I have used the system. It has some nice features, like soft stop on the power windows, as well as disabling the ignition and fuel pump when the key fob lock is activated. Overall though, I probably will not install another one. They are expensive, have there own idiosyncracies, and I don't see the bang-for-the-buck in this type of application. One lesson learned from installing one, is be sure to get power windows that have a reversible polarity motor, not the center-tapped one. I didn't, and had to add 8 relays (2/motor) to get the box to work with my power windows. Dick

BamaNomad
02-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Dick posted: .... Gary (BamaNomad) is quite an advocate of Infinitybox! " ....

My response? NOT! :) I suggest you show them some photos and tell the forum here a bit about it physically... :)

TrifiveRichard
02-06-2018, 03:39 PM
I thought that statement would draw your attention Gary!.....It really is an interesting architecture, but as I've said, I don't plan on using the system again. Interested parties can go to the website (infinitybox.com) and check it out themselves. If there are specific questions anyone would like info or an opinion on, let me know. Dick

55 Rescue Dog
02-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Well done!!! Soon anyway, wanting to hear how it performs.

Rick_L
02-06-2018, 05:05 PM
I like the car.

What is an infinity box? Since I don't know I probably don't need one, but curious just the same.

55 Tony
02-06-2018, 06:42 PM
.. or the 3 Farad capacitor... :) I told him he's the first/only fella ever to install one of those infinity systems in an automobile, but maybe I'm wrong!~ :)

Wow! Something tells me that that car will never see and automatic carwash! :)
A 3 farad capacitor! With that mention and the infinity system I was guessing the infinity system was for sound but hooking it up to the power windows doesn't make sense (to me anyway)

Back to the 3 farad capacitor, did you know that a capacitor is the only thing known to man that can store electrical energy?

chevynut
02-06-2018, 07:14 PM
did you know that a capacitor is the only thing known to man that can store electrical energy?

So what does a battery do? ;)

TrifiveRichard
02-06-2018, 08:34 PM
The capacitor is clearly for the stereo amplifier subwoofer. It handles surge currents at a frequency batteries are said to have too much internal inductance to maintain voltage. It's overkill for my amp, but wasn't too expensive and is insurance.

I mounted the battery, subwoofer, capacitor, amplifier, large unstitched fuse panel, and infinitybox rear power cell on a platform and located it behind the rear seat, using the original shock mount holes to hold it down.

JT56
02-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Great looking car

TrifiveRichard
02-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Thanks JT - that’s a nice looking one too. I happen to be one of those the think the 56 2DR HT B/A is the best looking of the of the 3 years, although the nomad is close.

I do have to admit I may be a bit biased, given my first car was one. It was black, 265 power pack with 3 speed overdrive and 4.11s. It had factory power windows and black tuck and roll from Tijuana, Mexico (a $250 expense at the time, how things have changed!)

55 Tony
02-07-2018, 05:14 AM
So what does a battery do? ;)

Ah Ha! I suckered someone in. A battery stores chemical energy. When used it turns it into electrical energy. Just something I learned in electronics class that I like to trick people with like our teacher tricked us.

NickP
02-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Ah Ha! I suckered someone in. A battery stores chemical energy. When used it turns it into electrical energy. Just something I learned in electronics class that I like to trick people with like our teacher tricked us.

Hence the name, storage battery.

(https://www.merriam-webster.com/time-traveler/1880?src=defrecirc-timetraveler-sharebutton)
Time Traveler! Explore the year a word first appeared (https://www.merriam-webster.com/time-traveler/1880?src=defrecirc-timetraveler-sharebutton)

Definition of storage battery : a cell or connected group of cells that converts chemical energy into electrical energy by reversible chemical reactions and that may be recharged by passing a current through it in the direction opposite to that of its discharge — called also storage cell

Belair-o
02-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Beautiful car!
You mentioned in your first post, "The motor is GM LS3/525hp, with GM accessories, except A/C compressor (Sanden from Vintage Air). " I looked at switching out the R4 compressor for a Sanden on my GMPP serpentine kit (based on the '90-92 Z28 TPI engine, I think), and couldn't figure out a way to do it. Did you have the same serpentine configuration, and do you have any guidance on how you did the swap?
Thanks, Doug

TrifiveRichard
02-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Can’t help you much BelAir-o. I doubt the lt1 brackets and accessories are compatible with the corvette ls3.

The reason I swapped out the corvette compressor is two fold: first, I could not use the passenger side low mount location because it interfered with the Morrison frame passenger side motor mount. I’d had to move the mount about two inches back. Secondly, I understand the corvette compressor has some kind of a variable clutch, and the vintage air units are not compatible with it.

Rick_L
02-07-2018, 08:51 AM
The R4 isn't a variable displacement compressor, but many later GM ones were.

Holley offers an a/c compressor bracket for an LS engine that uses an R4 compressor. It mounts the compressor up high on the passenger side. It can be used with the rest of the Holley bracket/accessory drive, or with the Chevy Performance accessory drive which is essentially the same as most Corvette LS accessory drives. Or with some other factory LS accessory drives.

Thing is, the recent discussion is mixing up accessory drives for TPI, Gen2 LT1, and LS. R4 was never used on LT1. Which do you have Belair-o?

chevynut
02-07-2018, 12:47 PM
It's all symantics imo, Tony55. You put electrical energy into a battery to re-charge it and you get electrical energy out. So from a simplistic point of view, it stores electrical energy. It just converts it one way or another to store it. It's the same as saying gasoline doesn't contain thermal energy, only chemical energy. While technically true, again it's all symantics.

"Chemical energy, Energy stored in the bonds of chemical compounds. Chemical energy may be released during a chemical reaction, often in the form of heat; such reactions are called exothermic."

So do an archery bow's limbs store kinetic energy when the bow is drawn, or do the molecules in the bow store the energy as their bonds are stretched and electrical charges or chemical bonds hold them together? ;)

55 Rescue Dog
02-07-2018, 01:10 PM
It's all symantics imo, Tony55. You put electrical energy into a battery to re-charge it and you get electrical energy out. So from a simplistic point of view, it stores electrical energy. It just converts it one way or another to store it. It's the same as saying gasoline doesn't contain thermal energy, only chemical energy. While technically true, again it's all symantics.

"Chemical energy, Energy stored in the bonds of chemical compounds. Chemical energy may be released during a chemical reaction, often in the form of heat; such reactions are called exothermic."

So do an archery bow's limbs store kinetic energy when the bow is drawn, or do the molecules in the bow store the energy as their bonds are stretched and electrical charges or chemical bonds hold them together? ;)
I would love to comment, but I would be the one to take the keyboard beating for de-railing the OP's 56 progress thread, which is an awesome car BTW.

BamaNomad
02-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Yep, you fellas should take your 'forms of energy' discussion to it's own thread.. :)

Belair-o
02-13-2018, 08:16 AM
The R4 isn't a variable displacement compressor, but many later GM ones were.

Holley offers an a/c compressor bracket for an LS engine that uses an R4 compressor. It mounts the compressor up high on the passenger side. It can be used with the rest of the Holley bracket/accessory drive, or with the Chevy Performance accessory drive which is essentially the same as most Corvette LS accessory drives. Or with some other factory LS accessory drives.

Thing is, the recent discussion is mixing up accessory drives for TPI, Gen2 LT1, and LS. R4 was never used on LT1. Which do you have Belair-o?
Hi Rick and TrifiveRichard,
Sorry, I missed your responses in the battery debate.

You are right, I don't have the same setup as Richard, was just thinking there might be a path I hadn't considered before. I have a 327, and put a GMPP serpentine belt setup on it, which came with the R4. I had hoped to put a Sanden on it, but couldn't see how to make it work without surgery to the mount and Sanden compressor (couldn't get the belt to line up and the Sanden to fit the GMPP compressor bracket).
Thanks, Doug

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
02-13-2018, 03:45 PM
nice build, your doing good Richard. :cool:

hurddawg
02-19-2018, 09:56 PM
Whoa!
Great build, look forward to more !

TrifiveRichard
02-21-2018, 11:07 AM
Thanks - fyi, attached are a few more pictures, specifically of the air intake. The LS3 needs a reasonable length tube to locate the mass airflow sensor and the PVC air intake, something like 6 inches from the motor intake. Also, I really didn't like the air cleaner element in the engine bay (looks and heat) so I located the air box and K&N filter under the passenger fender. The bottom of the box is removable for swapping the element, and the air comes in from the radiator space, inner fender. The tubes and flanges are aluminum and are now black anodized.

TrifiveRichard
02-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Attached are a few more pics, specifically of the heater-ac hose routing and connections under the hood. The vintage air evaporator unit in the passenger compartment has beed moved toward the passenger side, and mounted via a custom firewall mount I fabricated. The heater control valve is located inside that area also (yes, it would take some effort to change it out, but I don't envision the vehicle will see enough miles to need replacing it). The heater-ac hoses exit below the A-pilar rather than the location vintage air planned (this allowed me to mount the LS3 relay/fuse panel out of the way and clear the hinge). The firewall mount is a machined clam shell piece I made, along with another one that bolts to the inner fender to keep the lines straight. In addition, I removed the hose bibs from the motor water pump and tapped the holes (3/8 and 1/2 NPT). This allowed me to use 6-AN fittings for both heater hoses, and i think it provides a better connection and looks nicer, also.

Edit: pictures flipped, not sure why...?

8359 8360 8361 8362 8363

Rick_L
02-21-2018, 12:37 PM
TrifiveRichard, I like your airbox and plumbing. I've been searching for ideas on plumbing mine. Had several ideas, all of which had some kind of flaw, difficulty, bad looks, or just plain lack of room.

TrifiveRichard
02-21-2018, 12:51 PM
The LS3 needs such a long run for the MAS, and it's not easy to plumb a good looking intake system. I may yet put cover over it, not sure. I haven't assembled everything with the anodized tube t take a final look...

BamaNomad
02-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Dick,

I *think* the photo rotation will be solved if you load the photos (phone pix I'm sure?) into your computer and make sure they are right side up there (if not, then rotate them). If they appear correctly oriented on your computer then they should come out fine here...

Gary

TrifiveRichard
02-21-2018, 04:17 PM
I did download the photos off an iPhone, and just checked the photos in the computer folder. They are all oriented properly. Any other suggestions, Gary?

BamaNomad
02-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Did you load the images off your PHONE? or the computer? Generally the image handling software on your computer (even the dumbbutt MS stuff) orients and encodes the images correctly, whereas the software on the phones collects the images but doesn't load the image header correctly, and there are parameters in the image header which tell the display software the orientation and order of the image data...

SO did you move the images from your phone directly to this site? or did you load them from your computer?

TrifiveRichard
02-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Per our telecon Gary, I did load the images from my Apple computer. I haven't been able to figure out why the 4 images rotated 180 degrees, and the 1 image displayed correctly. I guess they will just have to stay that way, apologies for their appearance...

BamaNomad
02-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Dick, I also attempted to 'correct' the orientation of your images, but was unsuccessful... The orientation information in the image headers are screwed up... and I don't have image header editing software on this computer... It's an 'apple'/iphone' issue with their image file headers...

NickP
02-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Dick, I also attempted to 'correct' the orientation of your images, but was unsuccessful... The orientation information in the image headers are screwed up... and I don't have image header editing software on this computer... It's an 'apple'/iphone' issue with their image file headers...

Use this one if you want.

TrifiveRichard
02-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks NCW, just looked at original pictures post, and they are oriented correctly! Interesting...

BamaNomad
02-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Not on my computer display, Dick.. still screwed up (oriented incorrectly) as before..

TrifiveRichard
02-23-2018, 03:40 PM
That’s weird Gary...it’s good on mine, did you log off and on again?

BamaNomad
02-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Dick is back from his ski trip to Colorado, and today we made another step on his car. Since I took the photos, I'm going to post them in hopes that Dick will log on and give everyone a personal update on his progress... :)

MP&C
03-01-2018, 05:17 AM
Nice progress!

TrifiveRichard
03-01-2018, 05:49 AM
Thanks to Gary’s help, the windshield and rear glass are in, although I still have to install the stainless. My hands are still puffy from slapping the glass down!

NickP
03-01-2018, 06:29 AM
Thanks to Gary’s help, the windshield and rear glass are in, although I still have to install the stainless. My hands are still puffy from slapping the glass down!

EXCELENT! Folks, if you need help and don't have your location posted in your profile, people can't assist you if they are close. All the more reason to include it.

chevynut
03-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Glass makes a HUGE difference! Great progress.

567chevys
03-01-2018, 10:26 AM
That really looks great !!

I need to get busy on my 55

Thanks Sid

MP&C
03-01-2018, 11:28 AM
http://www.trifivechevys.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8402&stc=1&d=1519879683

AM I looking at this correctly that the rubber trim at the bottom of the windshield has the groove for the stainless? Like the stainless should have gone in first as it's near impossible afterwards???

chevynut
03-01-2018, 12:23 PM
AM I looking at this correctly that the rubber trim at the bottom of the windshield has the groove for the stainless? Like the stainless should have gone in first as it's near impossible afterwards???

The upper stainless has to go in the rubber seal before the windshield goes in. The lower stainless goes on after it's installed.

MP&C
03-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Thanks for keeping me straight!

BamaNomad
03-01-2018, 08:45 PM
The windshield channel that Dick had actually had a longer 'groove' in it for the upper stainless than necessary, so it does go a bit beyond the stainless (but not all the way around the rubber channel).. If you are seeing what appears to be the 'groove' a bit below the bottom of the upper stainless, you may be seeing some of that slit

TrifiveRichard
03-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Made a little progress on the 56 - installed the stainless around the windshield and rear glass.

8420 8421 8422

BamaNomad
03-05-2018, 08:21 PM
It looks good Dick... and the gray tint glass looks great with the black paint... :)

Bitchin'57
03-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Great workmanship! Looks bad ass in black!

BamaNomad
03-06-2018, 07:40 AM
When Dick gets his upholstery done, and takes his car to a car show.. I guarantee it's going to be a SHOW STOPPER!~ :)

WagonCrazy
03-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Nice 56 ya got there Dick. May I ask you what the wheel/tire combo's and sizes are?

TrifiveRichard
03-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Thanks WC, the wheels are corvette 2013 vintage chrome with plain center caps. The rears are 19x9.5 and the fronts are 18x8.5, best I recall. The rear tires are 285/35R19 and the front tires are 245/40R18, which I believe are also stock corvette sizes. The 9” housing from Strange is a custom width to fit the rears in the stock wheel wells. There’s only about ½” clearance inside to the body and the same outside to the quarter panel.

chevynut
03-07-2018, 08:20 PM
I think those wheels look great on your car Dick. A lot of guys hate those "flat faced" wheels (high positive offset) and the short sidewalls, but imo they make the car look more modern and improves handling. Virtually every newer car out there has 17-20" wheels with a lot of positive offset. To me, a 15" wheel with a huge dish and ATV-like balloon tires (like the 56 in the banner at the top of the page) looks a lot worse, like something from the 60's.

When do you think you'll be driving it? ;)

TrifiveRichard
03-08-2018, 05:41 AM
I’m not too far from getting it running, although I’ve run into a snag on the upholstery. The guy I’ve used before has a health problem (stroke and recent seizure) and is out of commission for an indeterminate time. There are some well known shops here in Alabama (Paul Atkins, Shannon, M&M), and I’ll be talking with them shortly. Problem is, it could be a year or two to get in...

TrifiveRichard
03-11-2018, 03:28 PM
Been working on the interior lately. Routed wires thru the A-pillar and across the windshield top internal brace to the center of the window. I'm using a 2002 Camaro internal rear view mirror with map lights (takes 3 wires), mounting an internal radio antenna center also (3 wires), and a microphone(1 wire). It wasn't exactly fun running 7 wires to the center top of the windshield, but I succeeded! I also have been working on the center console. The fiberglass console is from Billy Dawson, intended for an automatic. I liked the overall shape, so I modified it for the 6-speed, adding 9 inches where the shifter goes, and deleting 7 inches in the rear where a glove box will go. As you see in the pictures, the DVR/receiver is mounted under the dash glove box. Also, the paper template is sizing for a plate we'll machine. It will also contain two cup holders as well as the shifter. As you all know, progress is slow, but eventually we get there!

Next week we will be talking with upholsterers. We may still be able to make the tri5 nationals in August...Dick

8453 8454 8455 8456 8457

chevynut
03-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Routed wires thru the A-pillar and across the windshield top internal brace to the center of the window. I'm using a 2002 Camaro internal rear view mirror with map lights (takes 3 wires), mounting an internal radio antenna center also (3 wires), and a microphone(1 wire).

I'm using a similar auto-dimming mirror with thermometer and compass. I think they're pretty much all made by the same company... Gentex. Does yours mount to a bracket that's glued to the windshield? I would prefer it if mine didn't but that's how it mounts. It's almost the same mirror as the one in my 03 Silverado.

Also, what radio antenna are you using? I'm still debating whether to use the stock one on the fender, and I need to decide NOW if I'm going to leave the hole. I've tried making it a power antenna but haven't finished that project yet.

It wasn't exactly fun running 7 wires to the center top of the windshield, but I succeeded!

So you actually rant the wires INSIDE the a-pillar? I was going to run mine under the trim if it fits.

Looking good! Glad to see it has all the pedals! :)

TrifiveRichard
03-11-2018, 05:44 PM
The mirror has an integral post that allows it to be moved up/down and rotate. Yes, it mounts to the windshield. This leaves about 3/4 " gap in the garnish molding that will have to be filled. I'm thinking about cutting down the factory mirror bracket (filling the back with JB Weld) to only that behind the garnish molding and painting it black to blend in.

The antenna is the interior rectangular one with extensions to the two sides (I don't like having the antenna on the outside of the car). I've used this one before on the 66 Chevy II. It has a preamp, but still isn't very sensitive. Having said that, I really use the iPhone or CD mostly, so as long as I get local stations, I'm okay.

And yup, it has all the pedals - did you notice the parking brake pedal? I really don't like the stock pull handle parking brake. I used a foot pedal from a 69 Camaro, and modified to fit the firewall. It works well, I like the looks, and they are pretty inexpensive (about $85).

chevynut
03-11-2018, 07:26 PM
The mirror has an integral post that allows it to be moved up/down and rotate. Yes, it mounts to the windshield. This leaves about 3/4 " gap in the garnish molding that will have to be filled. I'm thinking about cutting down the factory mirror bracket (filling the back with JB Weld) to only that behind the garnish molding and painting it black to blend in.

I made a filler that goes over the ends of the two upper moldings and had it chromed since Nomad windshield molding is chrome. I think that will work but we'll see. ;)

did you notice the parking brake pedal? I really don't like the stock pull handle parking brake. I used a foot pedal from a 69 Camaro, and modified to fit the firewall. It works well, I like the looks, and they are pretty inexpensive (about $85).

I went with the Lokar e-brake foot pedal to match my Lokar pedal covers and gas pedal. I didn't think the hand brake would work very well at the time. I probably could have found an OEM one too but I got lazy I guess. :)

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/LOK-EFB-9001_ml.jpghttps://content.speedwaymotors.com/ProductImages/491BAG6110_L_4bda16f4-e0d6-49fd-bf42-315e701eb5b3.jpg

TrifiveRichard
03-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Looks good - I’ve used the lokar gas pedal on a couple projects and it’s worked well for me.

BamaNomad
03-12-2018, 07:38 PM
I went over to Dick's shop today and assisted in installing his door flippers (2 dr Hardtop)... FUN FUN FUN... as you hardtop owners undoubtedly know... Anyway, I only had my i-phone, but he asked me to take a couple of pix and post here... He may want to make some comments about this aspect of 'Trifive' Hardtop design... :).

TrifiveRichard
03-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Made progress on the upholstery front today. Gary and I visited Paul Atkins Interiors today. We talked with Paul and his people and got a chance to take a look at what he’s currently working on, as well as a number of interiors he’s completed - really nice work. Paul agreed on doing the 56s interior and complete it before the August Trifive Nationals, as long as I get the car to him by the third week of April. Most of what’s left is odds and ends, so I believe this is doable, with a little help from my friends!

BamaNomad
03-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Thanks Dick for allowing me to ride down with you... :) It's been a couple of years since I was there, and Paul and his shop DOES DO amazing interiors. He will do a wonderful job on yours as well, and it WILL be a show stopper (and very likely a show topper).. :) I got very good vibes from Paul re your interior, and I'm very pleased for you that he *promised* to have it ready by August and the Tri-Five nationals.. :)

I hope you know that I'm willing to help you meet your end of that schedule.. just let me know when you need a couple of hands.. :)

PS. For the other fellas on this site: He had several LT4 (newest models) in cars in his shop and a couple in crates ready to go. This was my first opportunity to see the Chevy's new LT4 being employed in a hot rod. Paul indicated that he's completed a couple of them and getting them running was no big deal.. :) I think that might mean before long, our LS based rods will be 'old hat' and in the past..

TrifiveRichard
03-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Thanks Gary for your past help, and the offer to continue, I’ll need it! As we talked, there are a number of ‘details’ to finish up before the car goes to Paul.

chevynut
03-13-2018, 07:39 PM
there are a number of ‘details’ to finish up before the car goes to Paul.

My "details" seem to turn into months of work!! :)

TrifiveRichard
03-13-2018, 08:21 PM
I know what you mean CN, and some not needed for the interior/trunk work may need to be postponed...

TrifiveRichard
03-20-2018, 04:46 PM
spent some time yesterday with Gary and swiped out front wheel spacers. With the Art Morrison chassis, 2" dropped spindles and later model corvette rims, I needed a 3/4" spacer. While the wheels were off, Gary took some pictures of the front fender wells. Notice in the attached pictures that the lower half of the inner fender well has been cut out and replaced to allow it to bolt up to the frame, using a 3/16" rubber gasket. I also relocated the horns under the fenders to get them out of the front radiator area.

8511 8512 8513 8514 8515

BamaNomad
03-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Richard has the underneath side of the inner fenders cut/buffed to a high sheen, to the point that trying to photograph it (or even 'see' it) is like looking into a mirror... Maybe that's why Chevy painted all that in 'chassis' black... :)

Richard modified the inner fenders so they attach to the frame rail and enlarged the 'splash shield' so between the two of them the engine compartment is nearly totally protected from wheel splash... and of course he HAD to polish the heads of the SS fasteners (and washers).. which makes the photography even worse.. :)

BamaNomad
03-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Richard has the underneath side of the inner fenders cut/buffed to a high sheen, to the point that trying to photograph it (or even 'see' it) is like looking into a mirror... Maybe that's why Chevy painted all that in 'chassis' black... :)

Richard modified the inner fenders so they attach to the frame rail and enlarged the 'splash shield' so between the two of them the engine compartment is nearly totally protected from wheel splash... and of course he HAD to polish the heads of the SS fasteners (and washers).. which makes the photography even worse.. :)

I'd never worked on willwood brakes before, and to swap out the spacers, we needed to also swap the wheel studs; I was surprised that the wheel studs were 'screwed in' (as opposed to being splined and pressed in as all the stock Chevy stuff I'd one before were. The willwood brake components seemed to be extremely well engineering (and beautiful of course)...

TrifiveRichard
03-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Been working on the console lately getting it ready to install. The DVR/receiver mount is finished, as well as the shifter/cup holder plate my son made on the CNC mill. The console is pretty big and the intent of the shifter/cup holder plate is to break up the console so it doesn't look so dominating. The raised plate boarder and shift pattern will be chromed, while the center recessed area will be black base/clear. Gary is helping out and currently working on the console compartment interior. It will contain a plate with toggle/push button switches, USB port and ear phone jack for the DVR, as well as an iPhone charging port and the amp bass control. I was going to put the plate in the original glove box, but 'requirements creep' resulted in too big a plate for the area left, given the Vintage Air restrictions, so it's on to Plan B.

8551 85528553

55 Rescue Dog
03-25-2018, 03:55 PM
Excellent work on the whole project! Amazing things I wish I could do.

TrifiveRichard
03-25-2018, 04:06 PM
thanks 55RD - the clock is ticking. I have a little less than a month to get the car to the interior shop...

55 Rescue Dog
03-25-2018, 04:27 PM
thanks 55RD - the clock is ticking. I have a little less than a month to get the car to the interior shop...
Yeah, no kidding on the clock, when minutes of ideas turn into years of work, and penny's turn into $100 bills!

55 Rescue Dog
03-25-2018, 05:08 PM
It is going to be a beautiful, great car. Do you have any pictures of what you had to start with?

TrifiveRichard
03-25-2018, 05:34 PM
I had some, let me take a look for them.

mikev8nut
03-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Nice build !!
Where did you purchase the console Richard ?

TrifiveRichard
03-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Thanks Mike. Purchased from Billy Dawson, Corvette Correction. He only makes them for automatics, but I liked it, so I bought it and modified it for the 6 speed, adding 9 inches in the shifter area, and removing 7 inches from the console area.

mikev8nut
03-27-2018, 07:56 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm on the fence about buying a console to modify or to build one.

chevynut
03-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Thanks Mike. Purchased from Billy Dawson, Corvette Correction. He only makes them for automatics, but I liked it, so I bought it and modified it for the 6 speed, adding 9 inches in the shifter area, and removing 7 inches from the console area.

Dick I don't see where you added or subtracted inches.....do you have any pics of the process? Looks like you did a great job on it. Are you covering it with something or just painting it?

TrifiveRichard
03-28-2018, 05:48 AM
Thanks CN, no I don’t have any pictures. I just cut the fiberglass, beveled the edges, made a sheet metal piece for the shift area extension, overlapped it under the glass, and pop riveted/ glued it onto the console halves. Then Gary glassed over the metal, I sanded it down, filled it, and sanded the filler down. For the shortened section, I did it the same way, except just butted up the beveled edges. To finish it off, the whole console was epoxy sealed and shot with semi-gloss black.

The console will be covered in the same leather as the seats. In addition, the interior shop has made some false trans tunnel sides for trifives that go partially up the console. These are carpeted and reduce the apparent depth of the console. I’ve seen pictures and like the result.

chevynut
03-28-2018, 07:28 AM
You guys did a nice job modifying that console and you can't eve tell you did it. I really like the machined plate on top too. Which Tremec transmission are you using? It looks like the shifter is sitting about where mine is so I'm guessing it's a T56 Magnum? The F-body T-56s seem to put the shifter further back than yours is. Are you using a Hurst Billet Plus shifter? Your setup including the shifter lever looks just like mine. I haven't decided what boot to use on top yet, I have two boots below the console. Can't wait to see the interior come together.

55 Tony
03-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Wow, I missed this thread. Beautiful work! Does that go all the way to the back seat?

TrifiveRichard
03-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Wow, I missed this thread. Beautiful work! Does that go all the way to the back seat?

The console extends a little behind the front bucket seat, but not to the back seat. I didn’t want it to go that far, and that’s why I took 7 inches out of the box area.

TrifiveRichard
03-28-2018, 03:08 PM
You’re right CN - the trans is a Tremec Magnum, close ratio box. The shifter happens to be a short throw Hurst from a comp plus 4 speed linkage I had on the shelf. It’s currently being rechromed. I also have a floor boot I made to seal the tunnel and a second in the console. The console boot happens to be a repro 68 GTO 4 speed one. I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll cover it with leather or not.

I’m working off those ‘details’, and am anxious to get the 56 started and off to the interior shop. It’s taken the better part of 4 years working to get here, and I’m ready to drive it!

chevynut
03-28-2018, 07:06 PM
The shifter happens to be a short throw Hurst from a comp plus 4 speed linkage I had on the shelf.

I ended up buying a Hurst flat lever and don't know if I should have bought a shorter one. I think mine is 9" long and there's one that's 7.5". I don't think they even sell the one I have anymore.:confused: I guess I'll deal with that when the time comes and I get the console done. I may just cut it down and weld it if it's too long. Any idea how long yours is?

I also have a floor boot I made to seal the tunnel and a second in the console.

Sounds like we've been down the same path. ;) My console has a floor so I have a boot in the console, and the console floor will be sealed to the tunnel with some kind of foam rubber seal. Then the Hurst shifter has it's own boot on it.

I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll cover it with leather or not.

I'm pretty sure mine will be leather. I think it will look more modern that way. ;)

It’s taken the better part of 4 years working to get here, and I’m ready to drive it!

That's all? :geek:

TrifiveRichard
03-28-2018, 07:25 PM
I’d say the stick is 6 to 7 inches long. Sitting in the seat, the reach feels about right, and I like the short throw. I’ve had the 56 for something over 5 years, but didn’t work on it for over a year while I finished the 66 Chevy II, so it might be 4 ½ years working on it...

NickP
03-28-2018, 08:06 PM
Nice build Richard.

TrifiveRichard
03-29-2018, 06:15 AM
Thanks Nick - looks like you’re building a 55, how’s it coming along?

BeachGirl55
03-29-2018, 02:37 PM
looking good, really like the console and the inside rear view mirror upgrade

TrifiveRichard
03-29-2018, 03:43 PM
thanks BG55 - I've made a little more progress on the console, completing the lid and box liners. I still have to attach them, and mount a hinge along with a light switch/light. I plan on attaching the liners with panel adhesive and pop rivets to set the adhesive. After setting, I will grind the heads off the rivets, and use a little filler to even things out. The console will be covered in leather in the end. The console box will contain misc switches and DVR/iPhone connectors, and I have yet to clear coat the plate and wire the components to a connector. There's always more to do!

Question for everybody: do you know of a nice looking, compact hinge that would work on the rear of the console? The lid top is aligned (flush) with the console back, so I don't believe a standard piano hinge will work without the hinge showing. I do have a hinge that will work if I open the lid from the side, but I prefer to open it from the front if I can.

8601 8602 8603 8604 8605 8606

Rick_L
03-29-2018, 04:12 PM
You might want to check out cabinet hinges at the local hardware store or home improvement store. They may have some hidden ones.

Also try McMaster-Carr and Austin Hardware. Also Southco.

chevynut
03-29-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm using a lid from a Lexus on my console and the hinge is two curved levers that pivot on a rod with a spring wrapped around it to hold the lid up. With your machining capability it seems like making something like that would be easy.

Thanks for mentioning the light.......didn't even think about adding one. ;)

TrifiveRichard
03-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Thanks Rick for the input, although I’ve not been able to find a hinge at these places that works with a door that is flat with the frame and the hinge is hidden.

Thanks CN for the input, and yes I can make one like you’re talking about, and I do have a design on paper. The problem is one of time, I’m down to less than a month before the car needs to go to the interior shop, and I have enough ‘details’ remaining to keep me busy! Do you know what year/model Lexus your lid came off? I might be able to get one at a junk yard or Rock Auto if it looks like it’ll fit.

chevynut
03-31-2018, 10:49 AM
I can make one like you’re talking about, and I do have a design on paper. The problem is one of time, I’m down to less than a month before the car needs to go to the interior shop, and I have enough ‘details’ remaining to keep me busy!

I can sure understand that! I probably built WAAAAAY too much stuff on my car. It's fun to figure it out and build stuff, but it takes forever to complete the car. :(

Do you know what year/model Lexus your lid came off? I might be able to get one at a junk yard or Rock Auto if it looks like it’ll fit.

I really don't remember for sure but it was one of the "larger" Lexus'....I think a mid 90's LS400. I bought it with the box but in the end I made my own box. What I like about it is the shape and the interior finish, plus it is the perfect width for my car. Pretty sure this is it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1994-LEXUS-LS400-CENTER-CONSOLE-ARM-REST-ARMREST-LID-STORAGE-BIN-WORN/173222327829?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS400&epid=1417769356&hash=item2854daf615:g:DfsAAOxyOMdS2cVY

Since I didn't use the Lexus box, the top plate it bolts to is my design and it's 1/4" laser cut aluminum. (thanks Sid! :)) I plan to fill in the rear vents.

TrifiveRichard
03-31-2018, 04:45 PM
Thanks CN, and the pictures really help - that’s going to be a a really nice console when you’re done. After seeing the hinge you used, I don’t believe it will work with my console geometry. I may have to make the hinge anyway..

TrifiveRichard
04-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Made progress on the switch panel - it's been clear coated, cut/buffed and wired. Still haven't found a console hinge I like, so I'll make one next week.86288629

BamaNomad
04-06-2018, 08:53 PM
It looks great Richard... :) When are we going to fire that baby up? :)

TrifiveRichard
04-07-2018, 05:09 AM
The plan is next week, with your help!

BamaNomad
04-07-2018, 07:02 AM
I'm more than ready to help and hear that 525 hp LS3 run... :)

TrifiveRichard
04-12-2018, 04:45 PM
The console shift plate and boot seal are back from chroming, the non-chrome center section will be covered in black leather. The console hinge is made and the console/lid inserts are modified for it. Next is to bond the console and inserts.

Also, finished bleeding the brakes with Gary's help yesterday. Still have the hydraulic clutch to bleed. Working towards starting the motor soon.

8666 8667

chevynut
04-12-2018, 06:42 PM
That's a great looking part Dick. How the heck do you get stuff chromed so quick?

TrifiveRichard
04-12-2018, 08:13 PM
I just told them I needed the parts to make my schedule with the interior shop Laszlo. It doesn’t hurt that the interior shop uses them also...

TrifiveRichard
04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Made a little headway in a few areas this week including bleeding the clutch (thanks Gary for the help), sanding the air tube and now buffing, assembled the console almost ready to install, and made the gas tank vent tube and installed.

It's amazing how light the hydraulic clutches are today compared to the old days of 3000 pound spring ones. We were bleeding it, and I wasn't getting any more air. I asked Gary if he had a clutch, and he wasn't sure. We put the car in gear, and checked - sure enough it worked.

I've decided to paint the engine air tube base/clear black. I've buffed the elbow and about half way thru buffing the long tube. That's the last of the engine-related item left (I believe!).

The Rick's gas tank (22 gal) comes with a vent boss. I've decided to use a vented gas cap and run the vent line back to the top of the fill neck. It'll serve as a gas shutoff input while filling the tank.

I'm almost finished with the console, all the electrical is complete and just have a little more fitting of the lid, and it'll be ready to install.

Talked with the interior guys this week, and say they will be ready for the car the first week of May. Lots for details, but the list is getting smaller!

8684 8685 8686

BamaNomad
04-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Looks great Dick! Can't wait to get there tomorrow and see your progress over the past few days.. :)
(and good that you have an extra week to get it to Paul).. :)

chevynut
04-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Nice work Dick. I think it was a smart thing to add that fuel filler vent line. I added one to mine just before I buffed the tank out. I read too many stories of guys having problems filling their 56s and that's why GM put one on the 57s. Is that chromed? Any problem getting it through the grommet? Console looks great.

Custer55
04-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Beautiful car, keep up the good work!
Brian

TrifiveRichard
04-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks guys - the filler tube is stainless, as is the filler vent line, I just polished them. I installed the filler tube from the underside of the car, and the vent connection is far enough back that it doesn’t get in the way, even though it sticks up a ways. I made it that way to ensure it was higher than the gas cap.

chevynut
04-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Dick, where did you find a stainless filler tube? I didn't know anyone made such a thing. I used a stock wagon filler tube and cut it off at the top, then spliced the pieces together with hose.

TrifiveRichard
04-19-2018, 05:09 PM
It came from Classic Industries I’m pretty sure Laszlo. It’s in their catalog, pn TF700292 for $54.99. It’s made in China, but it looks good and it fits! It says doesn’t fit wagon or Nomad...

BamaNomad
04-19-2018, 06:37 PM
For those who don't know ... yet... :)

Dick's motto is: "Why buy any other material if stainless is available?" and the corrollary... 'If you can't buy it in SS, then make it yourself', and the 2nd corrollary.. 'Leave no stainless unpolished'... :)

Ps. if we are assembling something, and the fasteners aren't polished, then we 'halt assembly' while Dick polishes the parts... and woe to me if I install the shiny polished side of a washer 'down'... :)

PPS. I'm only slightly kidding him here... VERy slightly... :)

TrifiveRichard
04-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Hey Gary, you’re about right, and it works for me!

bigblock
04-19-2018, 07:25 PM
I agree on the stainless motto, kept up the good work.

chevynut
04-20-2018, 06:03 AM
Dick's motto is: "Why buy any other material if stainless is available?" and the corrollary... 'If you can't buy it in SS, then make it yourself', and the 2nd corrollary.. 'Leave no stainless unpolished'...

I thought I was the only one who was that anal. :D

BamaNomad
04-20-2018, 08:05 AM
I thought I was the only one who was that anal. :D

Nope! :) If anyone on this site can equal or beat your 'anal-ness' quotient, it might be Dick! :)

Just kidding of course, I admire both your fellas work, but both are way beyond what I strive for in my 'drivers'.... I asked Dick yesterday why he bothered putting all that 'extra' stuff in the car (like windshield wiper systems, sound systems, Ac, etc).. :) when it would probably never get driven! :)

PS. He's beginning to rub off on me... by convincing me that 304 stainless is superior to 409 stainless, so now I'm looking for 304 stainless for my exhaust parts... Just learned that Magnaflow doesn't use 304 stainless in their systems (mufflers or pipes)... it's all 409!

TrifiveRichard
04-20-2018, 05:07 PM
I think, guys, that the statement is 'to each their own'! I enjoy all versions of vehicles, as I know most of you do! As for my projects, I'm probably more detailed than many others, but I enjoy putting my unique stamp on them.

On to progress, Gary and I put the weatherstripping on he doors yesterday. Wasn't too big a deal, except getting it on the front jamb. As Gary says, the weatherstripping should go on before hanging the door. I've done that before too, and then had problems aligning the door. So, I guess you choose your poison!

Finished buffing the engine air intake tube/elbow, and installed the tube. I still have the K&N filter and elbow to put on. With that done, the engine is startable.

I've also been working on the 3 point seat belts. I modified the rear door jamb/lower quarter panel supports, located the reels inside, and added a belt guide at the top of the rear arm rests, where the belts exit. Given the car's a hardtop, the top belt pivot could not be located where it crosses the shoulder in the right place. To fix this, I made a belt drop (in the pictures with the air tube), about 5 inches, that bolts to the roof and the belt top pivot - plan to cover the drop in leather.

Details, details and the clock's ticking, need to get the electrical checked out and engine started pretty soon...

8689 8690 8691 8692 8693 8694 8695

BamaNomad
04-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Dick... :) I'm sure you know I'm kidding you... and admire your customization (and polishing) skills.. :)

Hey, If I come over tomorrow... are we going to start that 525 hp beast? :)

TrifiveRichard
04-21-2018, 06:02 AM
Today’s job is to check out the electrical. Everything is wired up, so it’s a good time to do it. Then we can add the last of the fluids and crank it up!

TrifiveRichard
04-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Got to the shop this morning fully intending to work on the electrical checkout, then realized the car frontend was still on jack stands from putting the door weatherstrip on (couldn't use the lift - the posts would be at the center of the doors...). Also, the passenger front tire was off, from installing the air tube yesterday. The memory isn't what it used to be!

Soooo, I decided to finish the air induction: making rubber gaskets to hold the ends of the 90 degree elbow, clamping the elbow with the anodized aluminum end seals previously made, mounting the air filter and sealing the air box. You'll see in the pictures the air intake in the grill/radiator space is a 4 inch hole. I'd like to use some kind of wire mesh over the opening, but am concerned with air flow restriction. I've seen some stainless meshes McMaster-Carr has, but they seem to have 12% and up reduction in open area. QUESTION: what have others done/considering doing?

8696 8697

Rick_L
04-21-2018, 03:48 PM
I've seen some numbers on what a 4" intake pipe will support, I think it's on the order of 800 hp but don't hold me to it (and I forgot where I saw it). Point is a 12% restriction won't mean much considering that, and it's probably far less restriction than the filter element.

I've been scratching my head on what to do for a cold air intake on my 55. No room on the sides of the radiator. Thought about a filter below the radiator, saw a nice one on trifive.com, but again the stuff I already had didn't allow enough room for a decent size panel filter, plus routing a 4" pipe in a big u-loop past radiator hoses etc. seemed difficult too. When I saw yours I said aha that's something I can make work. But on a 55 there's not enough length ahead of the radiator support to have an elbow at the inlet of the box like on your 56. After several days of making cardboard templates and checking clearances I've come up with something that I think will work. My box will just have the front partially open at the top to allow air in. I haven't decided on expanded or perforated materal for the opening, may just run a "dust sock" over the element to keep out the 2x4s and firehose size streams of water. The "dust sock" is just a fine woven mesh that AEM sells. I also will be running a dry AEM filter instead of the usual oiled K&N or Spectre filter after reading stories about air filter oil contaminating MAF sensors. During my air filter dealings with AEM, I found out they are owned by K&N. K&N also owns Spectre.

TrifiveRichard
04-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info Rick.

Don’t know if it would work, but have you thought about a longer air cleaner box with a rectangular or oval air intake in front of the radiator support? This would eliminate the elbow completely and allow a different shape going into the area in front of the radiator support...

Rick_L
04-21-2018, 05:24 PM
I did. The problem with that is that the box and the back of the headlight bucket interfere if you do that. Again a function of the shorter overhang of a 55 compared to a 56 or 57. So I nixed that approach. Everything is a compromise due to other things in the way, some that Chevy did, some that I did. I would rather have the intake air be from the grille area but it's not going to happen on this car.

The other thing that I did different from you is that I strived to make the intake tube level in its run to the inner fender. Yours appears to run uphill from the throttle body to the inner fender. I had to make a big chamfer on the bottom rear of the box to have tire clearance, hope I did enough.

TrifiveRichard
04-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Nice try anyway...and you’re right, I angled the tube up some to clear the tire. I’d have preferred it level, but the front is pretty low, given the Morrison chassis w/2inch dropped front spindles.

Rick_L
04-21-2018, 07:05 PM
I'm hoping that big chamfer takes care of my tire clearance - but I'll admit I didn't do a real check - and I'm not satisfied with what I think my ride height will be anyway - hope it turns out ok. If not, we'll adjust.

TrifiveRichard
04-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Been working on checking out the electrical system, almost complete. All but a couple items are working as expected.

The Infinity Box is working as advertised. It has a nice feature: when the car is locked via the key fob, the ignition power and starter power are disabled. When the doors are unlocked via the fob, they are again enabled. The biggest problem with checking out the system was learning curve.

The 2 residual problems are associated with the Vintage Air controls and GTO seats. The VA fan doesn't seem to be working right (I may have interchanged the connectors from the slides, have to check). On the seat, he power tilt works, but the forward/rear movement and back adjustment don't. Looks like the switches aren't getting power. Have to check these items out next.

Looking forward to starting the motor in the next few days!

TrifiveRichard
05-03-2018, 04:30 PM
It was a good day today - cranked the 56 and it runs! The idle lope with the ASA cam on the LS3/525hp sounds like the old rods. I still have a few items to finish before the car goes to the interior shop, planned for next Wed.

8750 8751 8752

chevynut
05-03-2018, 04:36 PM
Looks GREAT Dick! Got any video of the engine running?

TrifiveRichard
05-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Not yet Laszlo, but I'll take one and post.

MadMooks
05-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Sweet hardtop !

BamaNomad
05-03-2018, 05:03 PM
Fantastic Dick! and it looks super in the sun... :)

Rick_L
05-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Sure sits low! Great stance.

Bitchin'57
05-04-2018, 05:53 AM
Whoever did the body work and paint did a FANTASTIC job!!!

Belair-o
05-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Wow! Your car looks fabulous, and sits so nice! Great job!
Doug

WagonCrazy
05-04-2018, 07:22 AM
That's exciting progress man. You're almost there. Post a short vid when you get the engine running so we can hear that lope...

TrifiveRichard
05-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Took an iPhone video today of the 56 running. i have it on my desktop, but don't know how to get it loaded on the site from there...

56Safari
05-04-2018, 07:39 PM
First off, that stance... wow, that looks excellent, well done......

You can upload the video to youtube, click share below the video and copy the link. Then post it on here using the film button to the right of the image posting button. Other services host videos as well like facebook/instagram, but I don't use their services, so I can't comment on the details of how to post the link from those services.

TrifiveRichard
05-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. I've posted the video on Youtube at https://youtu.be/Gyfrii8EADc, in case the attachment has issues.

https://youtu.be/Gyfrii8EADc

chevynut
05-05-2018, 06:31 AM
That sounds really good Dick, not as choppy as I thought it would be for 525 HP but the idle was pretty high too. Sounds really healthy. I have found it's hard to get decent sound quality on some recordings, especially on a phone. What mufflers are you using?

BamaNomad
05-05-2018, 03:40 PM
He's running Magnaflow 4x9 but I'm not sure of the length... headers straight back to the H pipe, mufflers and then a short turn down...

PS. It's louder that I want for my car, but I'm sure Dick loves it... (He's not deaf yet).. :)

TrifiveRichard
05-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Thanks Laszlo - the Magnaflows are 14” body and 2.5” input/output. There’s not a lot of back pressure, it ‘crackles’ when the throttle is backed off quickly...

In the video, the fans are on also. I’d been checking out some of my manual switches and forgot to turn it off. And you’re right, the idle seams to be right about 1000 rpm when started cold. I haven’t driven the car yet, so not sure where it settles when warmed up.

chevynut
05-05-2018, 04:27 PM
I have the same Magnaflow mufflers with 3" inlet and outlet. Hope they're not too loud. :) I have 3 1/2" DMH electric cutouts when I want it loud. :p

TrifiveRichard
05-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Laszlo, i think it’s going to be loud with or without the cutouts open...

I’d thought about adding cutouts, too. Problem with the Morrison frame, there just isn’t a reasonable place to locate them.

TrifiveRichard
05-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Had a little scheduling delay getting to the interior shop - they weren’t ready for it yet. Atkins and crew were busy finishing cars going to the Goodguys Nashville event this weekend. The 56 is now planned to go to them this coming Tuesday.

The delay gave me time to finish up those ‘details’. Everything is done, except finish cutting/buffing/mounting the hood, aligning the front end, and charging the A/C. I also obviously have to double check to make sure everything is tight. Hard to believe, the end is in sight!

QUESTION: how many of you are planning to attend the Trifive Nationals in Bowling Green, KY in August? We went last year, and thoroughly enjoyed the event. I plan on bringing the 56 this year. Hope to see/meet many of you there! Dick

busterwivell
05-11-2018, 05:53 AM
Tri-five Nationals........not this year, but probably next year. I caught my wife checking out on-line stuff about it. Her first comment when I mentioned it was, "I've never been to Kentucky, let's go!". My 56 is ALMOST ready to hit the road. I need to install my aftermarket dash gauge unit, get tires and alignment, and charge up the new Vintage Air system. Then, I'll get some miles on it before we start cruising to car shows around the southwest this fall. Lots more to do to it to finish, but at least we'll be able to drive it. Hopefully, 2019!

56Safari
05-11-2018, 11:05 AM
I'm going to try to make it again this year, but if I do it'll only be on Friday... as of now I'm flying out to Denver that Saturday for work, so theres a good possibility I won't be able to make it if anything changes.

TrifiveRichard
05-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Hey busterwivell, sounds to me like you’re close. Come on out, even if you can’t bring your 56. Last year there were over 2000 trifives, of all varieties, along with the drags.

56Safari, that’s a pretty tight schedule. Sounds like work is getting in the way, I vaguely remember those days!

TrifiveRichard
05-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Time for the interior to go in - we took the 56 to the interior shop today for its transformation. The shop is Paul Atkins Interiors, Hanceville, AL. They have been in the business since the early 80s, having completed interiors for quite a few vehicles throughout the years, including a number of Ridler vehicles. We're on the way!

8796 8797

BamaNomad
05-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Congratulations Dick! :) Hopefully Paul will hit his milestone now (for 1 August back to you!).. :)
(car looks great with all the parts back on it).. :)

Gary

Custer55
05-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Car looks great. What are the wheels from? Or who are they from?

busterwivell
05-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Hey busterwivell, sounds to me like you’re close. Come on out, even if you can’t bring your 56. Last year there were over 2000 trifives, of all varieties, along with the drags.

56Safari, that’s a pretty tight schedule. Sounds like work is getting in the way, I vaguely remember those days!
Actually, my wife and I both feel that half the fun is the drive to and from an event. Flying to Kentucky doesn't have the appeal. We'll be there when we can drive the 56 there. Really looking forward to that long of a trip.

TrifiveRichard
05-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Congratulations Dick! :) Hopefully Paul will hit his milestone now (for 1 August back to you!).. :)
(car looks great with all the parts back on it).. :)

Gary

as you know Gary, it’s taken a while, but the finish is in sight. We’re looking forward to seeing what Paul creates!

TrifiveRichard
05-16-2018, 02:03 PM
Car looks great. What are the wheels from? Or who are they from?

Thanks Custer55, the wheels are 2013 Corvette, 18s in the front and 19s in the rear, factory chrome.

TrifiveRichard
05-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Actually, my wife and I both feel that half the fun is the drive to and from an event. Flying to Kentucky doesn't have the appeal. We'll be there when we can drive the 56 there. Really looking forward to that long of a trip.

I agree BW, although I also really enjoy walking down the rows of trifives and seeing what others have done.

TrifiveRichard
06-26-2018, 01:59 PM
Stoped by the interior shop today to see how things are coming along. The headliner, carpet, front seats and bottom rear seat are finished, and looking good. Paul says the interior should be finished by week after next.

8938 8935 8936 8937

55 Rescue Dog
06-26-2018, 03:06 PM
WOW!

BamaNomad
06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
That's outstanding Dick! Paul must be way ahead of schedule... but that is GOOD! :)
I love the look of the modified GTO buckets! and they look VERY comfortable! but what did you and Sue think of the seats, headliner, and the progress?

chevynut
07-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Paul says the interior should be finished by week after next.

Okay, it's a week past "the week after next" so how's it coming along? :) :)

BamaNomad
07-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Richard is on a trip this week to deliver another car to a shop in Michigan; as soon as he gets back he will retrieve the '56 (supposed to by Friday). I'm sure he will fill the site in when he's back... :)

TrifiveRichard
07-19-2018, 04:39 PM
Just got back in town. I’ll check tomorrow, but I know we’re close based on a discussion Monday...

TrifiveRichard
07-20-2018, 02:03 PM
We pick up the 56 tomorrow, the interior is finished...

WagonCrazy
07-20-2018, 07:24 PM
I'm drooling for pics Richard. We need pics to see that incredible interior...
I hope it turns out better than you expected.

TrifiveRichard
07-21-2018, 05:27 AM
I haven’t seen the interior since I took the pictures you see. I’m looking forward to seeing it complete, although I’ll have to wait a little bit. Paul had a conflict, so we don’t pick up the car until Monday now.

TrifiveRichard
07-23-2018, 06:00 PM
Picked up the 56 today from the interior shop. I believe they did a really nice job, especially with the console. It doesn't look nearly so large and blends in well. I still have to charge the air conditioning, align the frontend and headlights, get some miles on it!

We'll make the Trifive Nationals next month, if any of you are going and care to see the car.

8981 8982 8983

BamaNomad
07-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Having seen the interior work today on Richard's '56, I can say that it's truly beautiful with many very neat/nice features that aren't shown in the 3 photos he posted... :) Maybe he will post more images if you guys ask him nicely... :) ... or not.. :) Maybe he will make you wait to see it at the TriFive Nats in a couple of weeks... :)

chevynut
07-23-2018, 09:56 PM
Looks great Richard! It must feel awesome to have it done. I notice you still have the vent windows......are they electric? I don't see a crank.

Bitchin'57
07-24-2018, 06:19 AM
The sculpted door panels look great! Congrats on getting your fantastic car nearly ready for the road! There's always some new car bugs to work out, but that first ride is always memorable!

Rick_L
07-24-2018, 08:21 AM
Richard, your interior and entire car look great!

567chevys
07-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Hello Richard ,

its Beautiful inside , Please post some more pictures .
Out side Looks also Very Nice

Sid

TrifiveRichard
07-24-2018, 07:16 PM
Here are a few more pictures, including one of Sue and I smiling - can you tell we are pretty satisfied with the interior/car? Thanks to Gary (BamaNomad) for some of the pictures.

9021 9022 9023 9024 9025 9026 9027

LEE T
07-25-2018, 02:22 AM
Looks awesome!
I really like the way you store your project cars.

TrifiveRichard
07-25-2018, 05:33 AM
Looks great Richard! It must feel awesome to have it done. I notice you still have the vent windows......are they electric? I don't see a crank.

They are non-functional, Laszlo. I like the look, but don’t need them with the a/c and didn’t want the handles sticking out of the door panels. Also, I got my first ‘leak check’ coming back from the interior shop on the roll back. In dumped a couple times in the hour it took to get back, and the windwings, windows, doors and trunk were all dry on the inside. Good news!

Another item, you can’t see it in the picture, but the door panel near the front has some perforations with a tweeter mounted under the door panel to the door. This simplified the door panel, but let’s the tunes come through!

TrifiveRichard
07-25-2018, 05:42 AM
Looks awesome!
I really like the way you store your project cars.

Thanks Lee, and I don’t know about you, but we are always looking for ways to gain back usable floor space. Putting up new buildings gets expensive...

chevynut
07-25-2018, 07:37 AM
They are non-functional, Laszlo. I like the look, but don’t need them with the a/c and didn’t want the handles sticking out of the door panels.

Same here. I wanted to retain the vent windows, but also wanted them functional (not sure why :)). Never thought about leaving them non-functional so I installed electric motors from a 60's Caddy using the tri5 convertible vent frames without the latches. I'll probably put switches on the dash valence for them.

Another item, you can’t see it in the picture, but the door panel near the front has some perforations with a tweeter mounted under the door panel to the door.

I really like the design of your door panels and the rest of the interior. And the workmanship looks outstanding. I couldn't find a good place for them so I mounted my tweeters in the headliner at the top corner of the windshield. Hope they work okay there. Looks like you're using Clayton interior door release handles similar to mine.

WagonCrazy
07-25-2018, 12:33 PM
I had to stop and wipe the drool off my face. Gawd, that interior just looks amazing!!!!
Drive the heck out of that 56 and enjoy it.
It's a sweet ride.

TrifiveRichard
07-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Thanks WC, BamaNomad and I took it to be aligned and registered today. Motor pulls strong and does handle well. Otherwise, still working off items before we take off for Trifives mats.

TrifiveRichard
07-25-2018, 04:49 PM
Never thought about tweeters in the headliner, but sounds like a good place for them...

BamaNomad
07-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Here's how it looks in the sun sitting in the empty part of a large mall parking lot... :) (I had to 'guard it' while Richard got his registration... :) )

Note: While sitting there, two persons pulled up to 'look', including the wife of one of our members here... she was taking photos to send to him!).. The car did get some attention wherever we went...

Custer55
08-19-2018, 07:25 PM
Richard,
Saw your car in person at the nationals on Friday. Beautiful car, looks even better in person than it does in the pictures.
Brian :cool:

TrifiveRichard
08-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Richard,
Saw your car in person at the nationals on Friday. Beautiful car, looks even better in person than it does in the pictures.
Brian :cool:

Thanks Brian, sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet you at the show. There were many very nice vehicles, more than I could digest. Dick

TrifiveRichard
06-03-2023, 01:38 PM
It's been quite a while since we completed and provided any updates on the 56 Chevy. We don't have a lot of miles on it, about 2000, mostly going to meets/shows. Today we took it to a local Huntsville, AL show put on by the Vets for Vettes (and others), at Cabela's, proceeds going to charity. The show was open to virtually all cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Not sure how many vehicles were there, but probably 150 or so. There weren't many tri-fives, although there was another 56 2DR Bel Air HT, black and white, really nice. The following pictures were Sue prepping and the car at the show.

I know many, if not most, of you had a try-five as a teen. I had one too, and it was a black, 1956 Chevy 2DR Bel Air HT. The following picture is of it, out of focus, but shows me about 17 years old working under the hood. I actually had hair back then!

Have any pictures of you with your original tri-five?

BamaNomad
06-03-2023, 06:55 PM
Richard, I really like the 60 yr old pix (when you had hair).. :)
but your '56 at that time wasn't as 'shiny' as your new one.. :)

Did you collect any awards today? I left early after picking up that heavy jack I bid on and won in the silent auction.. :);

PS. I think there were more than 150 cars there Richard. and some very nice vehicles although since it was put on by th local 'Vets with Vettes' club, there were too many late model Corvettes... including the first two C8 Z06 's that I've personally seen (with the flat plane crank).. :)

There was a '56 Chrysler 300B there... very rare vehicle and first I've seen in person.. :)

Gary
Gary

Belair-o
06-04-2023, 07:48 AM
Hi Richard,
Youse guys 56 is gorgeous!
My first car was a 57 Chevy 2dr post, and I sure remember sitting where you are in the pic as I worked on the car, rebuilding the 265, and then buying a 327 in cardboard boxes, rebuilding it and swapping in along with a T10 4 spd, and of course, jacked up in the rear with air shocks, and Cragars. My Mom sewed up seat covers from hides of the Nauga.
Regards, Doug

TrifiveRichard
06-04-2023, 02:06 PM
Sounds like it was a nice one, Doug. My 56 was a hand me down from my older brother. It had an over the counter 283 short block with the original 256 power pack heads and 4 barrel carb, with the 315 hp solid lifter cam, 3 speed overdrive. It had tuck and roll interior from Tijuana, Mexico that my brother had put in. Only other option was power windows.

Belair-o
06-05-2023, 07:54 AM
Hi Richard,
Your 1st '56 sounds great - great parts, including the unusual 3spd overdrive, and not to mention, the TJ tuck and roll. :)
Regards, Doug

MP&C
06-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Richard, your 56 turned out awesome! The picture of your old car reminds me of how limber we used to be in working on these things...

TrifiveRichard
06-05-2023, 02:49 PM
Thanks Robert, and yes, we used to be.