PDA

View Full Version : CARBON FIBER OVERLAY

NickP
03-14-2018, 01:43 PM
I need to send off the dash from the 57 and have some carbon fiber work done to it. Anyone here have any done or have experience from a reputable shop?

As always, thanks in advance.

chevynut
03-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Why don't you do it yourself? There's a ton of stuff on Youtube that shows how to do it. How about hydrographics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwhcfQZT8U

NickP
03-14-2018, 04:35 PM
Why don't you do it yourself? There's a ton of stuff on Youtube that shows how to do it. How about hydrographics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwhcfQZT8U

Time mostly. Hydro graphics, as with any paint is only one dimensional and very easily damaged in the wrong set of circumstances. Texture is the desire - gives more dimension to it.

Bitchin'57
03-14-2018, 07:13 PM
I need to send off the dash from the 57 and have some carbon fiber work done to it. Anyone here have any done or have experience from a reputable shop?

As always, thanks in advance.

When you say "some carbon fiber work done to it", are you wanting some parts of it in carbon, or the whole dash?

Rick_L
03-14-2018, 07:35 PM
So you don't want it smooth, want the "weave" to be there?

chevynut
03-14-2018, 09:12 PM
Nick I agree that the "real thing" looks a lot better than the hydrographics. But it's a lot more labor intensive. I've never done it myself but I plan to do some in my interior for accents. They make it look so easy in the videos. :)

I know Art Morrison had several of his interior parts covered in his 3G Vette. You might as him who did them.

NickP
03-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Well, I have received a couple of quotes. Laszlo, the suppliers must have read your statement about being labor intensive, WOW. From a low of 580 to a high of 890 plus shipping. Crazy.

Rick the texture, though very smooth on a polished and finished product has depth to it much like a counter top covered in pennies and then layered with epoxy. As some here express, it's a matter of preference and choice.

55 Rescue Dog
03-15-2018, 04:18 PM
If the carbon fiber was functional from a weight reduction standpoint, that would be great, which is what it's for. But if only for appearance, a wrap, or hydro-dipped would make much more "cents", and look much more appropriate.