PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank recommendations?

Fastback
03-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Working on a 1955 Cameo pickup and we are putting an LS3 in it. I would like to find a rear mount gas tank with a filler neck that comes off the drivers side of the tank. We would like to place the filler hole behind the drivers tail light. I also need to find a hinge for doing that. I'm thinking of trying a 57 Bel Air gas door hinge.

Any help would be appreciated. It seems the only tanks I can find are top filler necks.

markm
03-26-2018, 10:12 AM
I have seen several guys use 72 K/5 Blazer tanks.

Fastback
03-26-2018, 08:01 PM
I will take a look at those, thanks

chevynut
03-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Take a look at the tanks from Tanks, Inc. I've used a 48 Chevy tank on Tri5s. You can get a stainless one that's 18 gallon for a reasonable price including a Walbro pump.

BamaNomad
03-26-2018, 08:33 PM
TANKS Inc has several tanks which might be suitable, including one 'Universal fit' tank with filler off the drivers side and options on the bends... http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=216/category_id=133/mode=prod/prd216.htm

You might have to make up part of the filler tube, but that should not be difficult... in fact a stock '57 Wagon filler tube is made up of 2 parts with a bend... would be easy to adapt for what you want.

Re the '57 filler door working for a Cameo tail light? I doubt it.. the 57 filler door cover is a very lightweight SS part with a flimsy mechanism. You might look at the '56 chevrolet tail light.. see how it works... and also there are aftermarket companies with make a 'moving/'translating' mechanism which has been used on '55 tail lights.

tikis ride
08-03-2018, 08:12 PM
I am a new member and I'm just reading through your thread for March I'm not sure if you got to your fuel cell yet but there's a lot of varieties that will fit between the frame rails ,I put my fill neck with a flip up cover in my bed but an option you could have if it's a Fleetside cameo would be to bring your filler cap over the top and out the back with a pull-down license plate tag.