PDA

View Full Version : too much ididit column steering wheel play?

WagonCrazy
04-26-2018, 06:48 PM
I have an Ididit column that came with my Nomad when I bought it (eons ago now).
Bought a new waterfall steering wheel and adapter for it, and once I got it all mounted, I noticed it seems to have alot of slop or end play out at the steering wheel end.
Wondering if you guys have this with yours?

I have no idea how old or used it was, maybe the bearing is just worn out. The slop appears to be in the ball bearing at the top of the column.
Here's a couple of vids to show what I'm talkin' about.

https://youtu.be/EiiadEVbAow

https://youtu.be/9gVhuLde_jE

NickP
04-26-2018, 07:24 PM
Call the factory. That's not a good thing at all.

WagonCrazy
04-26-2018, 08:09 PM
I doubt they would do much given the lack of a receipt or the fact that it's been 10 years since I bought this thing and am just now discovering it...

Doesn't look right to you Nick? It's too much play for my good judgement.

BamaNomad
04-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Call IDIDIT and tell them the issue; they *might* send you a bearing, or otherwise help you, but at least you can request the PN of the bearing, or request they send you one with instructions for installation (if it isn't clear)...

Florida 57
04-26-2018, 09:42 PM
Keep in mind of the New Owners as of two years ago and was told they redesigned some of their columns.

busterwivell
04-27-2018, 05:34 AM
Ididit policy was (under Ken Callison) that if there is ever a problem with one of their columns, they will fix it. Period. I'd call and see what they say.

TrifiveRichard
04-27-2018, 04:34 PM
I have an Ididit column in the 56, it’s a couple years old, and don’t have the problem. Isn’t there a horn piece that fits with the bearing before the hub?

chevynut
04-27-2018, 07:23 PM
I didn't buy an IDIDIT column because it's spelling is too close to IDIOT. :D Mine is a Flaming River.

Seems like maybe there's a bearing or bearing race missing at the top of the steering shaft. It's hard to believe it could be that worn out.

55 Tony
04-28-2018, 04:13 AM
I'm with CN on this. Something is missing or not together properly. I'm certain my original column has more miles on it and I never noticed any play at all.

WagonCrazy
04-28-2018, 07:21 AM
I emailed their tech support with a link to the videos and they are in agreement that it's not right. They have asked for more info on the column so they can identify which unit it is and are considering shipping me (at least) a new bearing. I'll know more probably on Monday.