PDA

View Full Version : Big Block 55 Headers

NDFabrications
04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm going to put a mild Big Block in my 55. I'm going to use side engine mounts and wondering what would be good headers to go with. I was thinking of going with hugger style so the collector is up out of the way and I can keep the exhaust nice and tight to the floor as my car sits low. any pro's or con's with my thoughts?

chevynut
04-08-2012, 03:38 PM
There's a lot of headers available that tuck up above the bottom of the frame if you remove your bellhousing mounts. I am using Earle Williams headers, but have used Doug's headers on other builds and I know some guys are using Patriots. There are pics in my albums of the EW headers.

56-210Sedan
04-08-2012, 04:42 PM
As Chevynut mentioned Earle williams is a good choice, spendy but good quality IMO another place to check out that i have heard good things about is this place http://555657.net/products.html

Double Nickel
04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
If you want to see spendy, then try getting a quote on a set of custom Stainless headers with merge collectors. Ouch!

That'll quickly put Earle's headers into perspective for you and at a reasonable price for the quality you get. His headers fit into the frame rails quite well and conform well to the stock floor keeping them up high and off the ground. If you want poor fitting at similar money then look at Hookers which hang way low and still aren't cheap. Dan Lemon of Lemons headers is now making a nice set, but similar money to those of Earle Williams.

On the lighter side of things, I've heard good things about the fit and inexpensive price on the Patriot headers for TriFives with some good feedback witnessed, and the same can be said for some of the products from Sanderson headers including their block huggers. Just remember that you get what you pay for and will no doubt have to remove the stock trans ears from the frames on most full length headers. Coatings are another thing to think in advance about. Only a few of these products listed include that as an option and doing it locally with a Ceramic coating can be pricey. That's why I say Earle's are a good deal because they come coated or uncoated and fit really good.

It's all relevant to your budget and you're horsepower requirement as well. The above suggestions are mostly good ones. :)

Run-em
05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Do use some good insulation in the floorboard as big block headers do inject a lot more heat into the passenger compartment. Consider making some heat shields for the starter and again between the exhaust and the floorboards. A heat shield with 1 inch clearance will lower the temperature that the floorboard sees by 75 degrees. That is significant in our hot Texas summers, when you try to air condition your ride.

markm
05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
I have Patriots and they fit well with CCIs 2.25 foward mounts. I just got lucky, a lot depends on what mounts etc.

eldon454
10-22-2012, 04:10 AM
consider the coated header like suggested. i knew the 454 was going to produce more heat in the engine compartment but was still surprised at how much more than the small block. way to much heat for a stock starter, had to change to permanent magnet style starter. even after wrapping my headers.