PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels

royk
05-05-2018, 05:41 AM
Received my new Torque Thrust Wheels yesterday. Now to decide on what tires to buy And if I want to go white letter or black wall when I mount them .

chevynut
05-05-2018, 06:48 AM
To me white tire lettering is a 70's thing. If you want to build it to look more modern, I'd put the white letters inside so they're not visible or get tires without them. I have BFG A/T TAs on my truck and the lettering is hidden.

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
05-05-2018, 01:54 PM
I luv white letter tires. in fact, mine came with them facing inside and had them put to the outside. 70's thing works for me. your ride so do it the way you like. 8755

55 Rescue Dog
05-05-2018, 03:02 PM
White letter tires look appropriate on a tri-five with a tall sidewall, but not so much on a 35 series tire. I've had the 275/60-15 tires on the front, and rear of my Camaro switched from white to black, and back to white again, every I have changed between different wheels, and still can't decide which I like best. I love torque thrust styled wheels, and put some on my Tahoe cop truck. Running the spec Goodyear 265/60-17 cop tires that where $275 each, and only made in black.

55 Tony
05-06-2018, 08:48 AM
I luv white letter tires. in fact, mine came with them facing inside and had them put to the outside. 70's thing works for me. your ride so do it the way you like.
I had white letters on the front but the new ones didn't have them so it doesn't matter. I like your car with them, they work with the wheels and paint. Mine is staying hot rod black and I think I like it better with no white letters but I'm not really sure? The garage and the tires are dirty but you get the idea. It's sitting high because of where the jack stands are ... at the front spring perches.

Oh, and I like my cheap Cragers.

markm
05-06-2018, 09:02 AM
I can honestly say I have raised letters on 56 and blacks on 55, raised letters on Z28 and Cutlass and blacks on SS350 and Corvette, I cam go either way as long as they are not rubber band tires.

55 Tony
05-06-2018, 09:27 AM
I can honestly say I have raised letters on 56 and blacks on 55, raised letters on Z28 and Cutlass and blacks on SS350 and Corvette, I cam go either way as long as they are not rubber band tires.

A few days ago a shed was being delivered to my girlfriends house and the trailer had small wheels with low pro tires ... so they didn't have to raise the sheds up higher. First time I've seen them put to good use.

55 Tony
05-06-2018, 09:32 AM
To me white tire lettering is a 70's thing. If you want to build it to look more modern, I'd put the white letters inside so they're not visible or get tires without them. I have BFG A/T TAs on my truck and the lettering is hidden.
If I wanted my car to look modern, I'd buy a modern car!

chevynut
05-06-2018, 09:37 AM
A few days ago a shed was being delivered to my girlfriends house and the trailer had small wheels with low pro tires ... so they didn't have to raise the sheds up higher. First time I've seen them put to good use.

When was the last time you saw a new full-size car with 15" wheels? They went the way of the dinosaur years ago just like carbs did. Virtually every new car nowadays has 17" or larger wheels and low profile tires...and no white lettering. Even most restomods have larger than stock wheels. The reason is the lower profile tires handle a lot better, and most guys nowadays want a car that performs and handles outside a straight 1/4 mile strip. The days of balloon tires are gone, except for on tractors and ATVs.

My Nomad will probably get 18" wheels all around when I get custom wheels for it. I like the 21st century look.....and no white lettering here. :D

chevynut
05-06-2018, 09:39 AM
If I wanted my car to look modern, I'd buy a modern car!

Good for you. Build it the way you want it. I like the more modern "restomod" look on my old car. Low, mean, and with performance tires on it.

55 Tony
05-06-2018, 10:35 AM
Ya know, I think I'm going to make my 55 a 4 wheel drive monster car. It's a 70's thing, like carburetors. :) Actually the way they drive them things, a carb would be spilling it's guts. Forget the 4 wheel idea, gotta keep the Quadrajet.

markm
05-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Ya know, I think I'm going to make my 55 a 4 wheel drive monster car. It's a 70's thing, like carburetors. :) Actually the way they drive them things, a carb would be spilling it's guts. Forget the 4 wheel idea, gotta keep the Quadrajet.

People can laugh all they want about q-jets and the 70s, but I raced with a guy in the late 70s and his 67 SS350 with a q-jet left the line standing on the bumper pulling the wheels in all 4 gears to the tune of 6.90 in the 1/8. speaking of the 70s I drove my 55 over to parents house to mow yesterday and the 30 something neighbor asked me what king of chain that was hanging from my rear view. I replied pull tabs from beer cans, he had never heard of such a thing.

chevynut
05-06-2018, 03:48 PM
pulling the wheels in all 4 gears

That musta been a cool dream. LOL! :D

markm
05-06-2018, 04:28 PM
That musta been a cool dream. LOL! :D

Sorry asshole this is the honest to god truth, it was an NHRA stock class car that came to brackets. You need to keep your mouth shut about topics you nothing.

55 Tony
05-06-2018, 06:11 PM
People can laugh all they want about q-jets and the 70s, but I raced with a guy in the late 70s and his 67 SS350 with a q-jet left the line standing on the bumper pulling the wheels in all 4 gears to the tune of 6.90 in the 1/8. speaking of the 70s I drove my 55 over to parents house to mow yesterday and the 30 something neighbor asked me what king of chain that was hanging from my rear view. I replied pull tabs from beer cans, he had never heard of such a thing.

People that call them "quadra-bogs" and other names either don't know their butt from a hole in the ground, or are repeating what other idiots said about them. I learned by trial and error till it ran good. Then I bought an A/F gauge and made some changes. Then I bought a book on them when I upgraded to an 800cfm from the smog years. Needed help with the idle circuit which requires modifications, not just settings. I really don't know why people have such a hard time with them?
As for the pull tabs, just a couple days ago I mentioned something to my girlfriend about "can openers" for soda cans back before the pull tabs were introduced.

markm
05-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Tony a friend of mine has a 428 CJ Mustang and its best pass ever on a single 4 was with a borrowed race prepped q-jet. Ford actually used them OEM on 429 CJ Torino's in 1970.

55 Tony
05-08-2018, 04:59 AM
Tony a friend of mine has a 428 CJ Mustang and its best pass ever on a single 4 was with a borrowed race prepped q-jet. Ford actually used them OEM on 429 CJ Torino's in 1970.

Chrysler products used quite a few Quadrajets also.

markm
05-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Chrysler products used quite a few Quadrajets also.

I have seen a bunch of Police package 318s so equipped in the 80s.

royk
05-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Back to my original post getting new cooper cobra tires mounted today black wall out. I also like old school looks and carburetors I grew up working on them My car has a WCFB works great for what I like.

markm
05-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Back to my original post getting new cooper cobra tires mounted today black wall out. I also like old school looks and carburetors I grew up working on them My car has a WCFB works great for what I like.

I have new Cooper Cobras on my 55 mounted same way on my 55, good tires just not a fan of the name, I have letters out on the TAs on my 56.