PDA

View Full Version : I need a TIP for ....

BamaNomad
12-26-2018, 05:54 PM
I need a TIP for repair/replacement of float in an WCFB carb.

Trying to get a new rebuilt 283 engine running in a 1960 Corvette, and in rebuilding my WCFB, I find one of the floats has a pinhole. Is there any means for repair of that? If not, any suggestions for finding a replacement float???

Rick_L
12-26-2018, 06:17 PM
No detailed info here, but you may be able to solder the pinhole. If there's a crack, you may have to stop drill the end(s) of the crack. Don't put too much solder on it as that will affect buoyancy.

BamaNomad
12-26-2018, 06:46 PM
I thought it might be solderable, but never having actually repaired one before, I thought I'd ask for advice.. :) Thanks Rick. I'm going to go and try it! :)

BamaNomad
12-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Well OK! That was not difficult at all! I evacuated the float using heat, then cleaned around the hole (making it about 1/8" in diameter), then was able to solder it up very easily using my low heat electronics soldering iron... very easy! I then *tested* both the repaired float and the other float in a bucket of hot water and found no bubbles!

Only issue now is 'how long will it last and will gasoline foul the solder'? I suppose not, since the original floats are made by soldering halves together!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to try it! :)

Rick_L
12-26-2018, 07:53 PM
Glad I could help.

For others, don't try this on Chinese floats (gas tank sending units). On the other hand it's worth a try on any US made float.