01-05-2019, 09:05 AM
What recommendations you guys have for rims and tires
:confused:

chevynut
01-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Big ones. :)

chevynut
01-05-2019, 10:04 AM
What mods have been done to the suspension? Is the rearend stock or, if not, how wide is it? Have the springs been relocated (pocket kit) or are they in the stock location? Is the car mini-tubbed or does it have the stock rear wheelwells? Does the car have disc brakes in front, and if so what offset do they have?

Also, what are you trying do accomplish, putting the largest possible tires on the car or just something that fits? ;)

Gmvette
01-05-2019, 05:54 PM
I chose 69 Corvette 8” rally wheels with trim rings and stainless steel dog dish bowls.

scorpion1110
01-05-2019, 06:43 PM
I chose 69 Corvette 8” rally wheels with trim rings and stainless steel dog dish bowls.

Looks good. I am running rally's with flat GM caps. AZ coded rims in back (Corvette 15x8) and FW rims in front (from Monte Carlo 15x7).

Scorp

carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)
01-06-2019, 06:25 AM
rally's and cooper cobra radial gt on mine. 94679468

scorpion1110
01-06-2019, 08:22 AM
rally's and cooper cobra radial gt on mine. 94679468

Best factory rim design ever. Looks good :)

Gmvette
01-06-2019, 02:26 PM
Looks good. I am running rally's with flat GM caps. AZ coded rims in back (Corvette 15x8) and FW rims in front (from Monte Carlo 15x7).

Scorp

I used 15x8 all 4. The front Corvette hubs with taper roller bearings and 72 Corvette brake rotors and Willwood 4 piston calipers. Rear brakes and all is stock 57 Chevy except a P case 60 Corvette posi unit and axles.

I have no issues hitting anything at full lock to lock and on bumps.

NickP
01-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Given your dragracing background, what's the task for the car first?

Rick_L
01-06-2019, 06:25 PM
The world of wheels is much larger than Rally type wheels. The world of tires is really big too.

Who said anything about drag racing which is another world yet?

chevynut
01-06-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if the original poster is asking about what wheels and tires LOOK good, or what fits. Looks are very much a matter of personal taste. If you want "old-school" go with 15" GM rally or chrome "reverse" wheels, or Cragars. If you want something to make the car look like it was built within the past 30 years go with 17 or 18" or larger custom wheels of a style that matches your build style. There's also a selection of 17 and 18" mags that attempt to address both ends of the spectrum.

BamaNomad
01-06-2019, 07:54 PM
I'm still trying to figure out if the original poster is asking about what wheels and tires LOOK good, or what fits. Looks are very much a matter of personal taste. If you want "old-school" go with 15" GM rally or chrome "reverse" wheels, or Cragars. If you want something to make the car look like it was built within the past 30 years go with 17 or 18" or larger custom wheels of a style that matches your build style. There's also a selection of 17 and 18" mags that attempt to address both ends of the spectrum.

*L* .. Narrow minded ever? :)

CN: it's a matter of PREFERENCE and Taste! SOME of us do not like cars, particularly classic cars .. that are made to look like modern day 'toy big wheels'.... :)

scorpion1110
01-07-2019, 03:38 AM

CN, you forgot to mention fuel injection and the hopelessly outdated carbs that we run.

C'mon, you are slipping.

Scorp

chevynut
01-07-2019, 06:43 AM
*L* .. Narrow minded ever? :)

CN: it's a matter of PREFERENCE and Taste! SOME of us do not like cars, particularly classic cars .. that are made to look like modern day 'toy big wheels'.... :)

Apparently "some of you" are pretty narrow minded yourselves and can't accept the fact that times change and styles change. Didn't I say wheels were a matter of preference? Why so touchy?

Some of us don't like cars that look and especially DRIVE like they're 60+ year old boats with poor suspensions, brakes, steering, and 15" balloon tires that handle like crap. Not to mention (for Scorp) the toilet float valve fuel delivery systems they used. :D

BamaNomad
01-07-2019, 07:14 AM
9472CN... :) If you like modern, then why not buy yourself a NEW modern car? WHY try to make a classic car look like an abortion? :) (Just my opinion when HUGE tires/wheels are used on a classic)... :)

Most of your post was fine, it is a matter of preference, but you generally term it in a way that is insulting to those of us who like the classic cars the way they LOOKED when they were built. My preference over the huge wheel look is one like this... that I rode/drove about 2000 miles this weekend to retrieve along with a friend! :)

Gmvette
01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
9472CN... :) If you like modern, then why not buy yourself a NEW modern car? WHY try to make a classic car look like an abortion? :) (Just my opinion when HUGE tires/wheels are used on a classic)... :)

Most of your post was fine, it is a matter of preference, but you generally term it in a way that is insulting to those of us who like the classic cars the way they LOOKED when they were built. My preference over the huge wheel look is one like this... that I rode/drove about 2000 miles this weekend to retrieve along with a friend! :)

That was a very elegant response. I would never destroy the “classic charactor” of my 57 Nomad. Yes it has updated period correct mods that works with the image of the car. But total look is 57 Chevy Nomad. Not stock at all it’s a hot rod in good taste of what the car’s all about.

There are people that like extreme changes while others prefer to be more conservative. We can all play nice.

markm
01-07-2019, 01:04 PM
http://my56.jpg

567chevys
01-07-2019, 01:28 PM

That is one beautiful 55 Nomad

Sid

scorpion1110
01-07-2019, 03:20 PM
Apparently "some of you" are pretty narrow minded yourselves and can't accept the fact that times change and styles change. Didn't I say wheels were a matter of preference? Why so touchy?

Some of us don't like cars that look and especially DRIVE like they're 60+ year old boats with poor suspensions, brakes, steering, and 15" balloon tires that handle like crap. Not to mention (for Scorp) the toilet float valve fuel delivery systems they used. :D

Actually I just removed my carbs and am now injecting fuel into the manifold with a turkey baster. Actually two turkey basters.

Lets call it Fool Injected (since I am not the swiftest guy out there eh?)

Whatcha think CN?

Scorp

567chevys
01-07-2019, 03:42 PM
Actually I just removed my carbs and am now injecting fuel into the manifold with a turkey baster. Actually two turkey basters.

Lets call it Fool Injected (since I am not the swiftest guy out there eh?)

Whatcha think CN?

Scorp

That's some Funny Sh&%

It made my day :D

bigblock
01-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Some times the way people that build or restore their Tri Five is due to the amount of $$$$ they have at that time. Some just need pointed in a direction that they can enjoy their pride and joy till they can update if they desire, and it sounds to me he wanted to know what his choices what be on a stock suspension. Thanks to all member's here because we are the BEST!!!

BamaNomad
01-08-2019, 07:55 AM
That's some Funny Sh&%

It made my day :D

X2... :) ... still cracking up here! :)

scorpion1110
01-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Some times the way people that build or restore their Tri Five is due to the amount of $$$$ they have at that time. Some just need pointed in a direction that they can enjoy their pride and joy till they can update if they desire, and it sounds to me he wanted to know what his choices what be on a stock suspension. Thanks to all member's here because we are the BEST!!!

BigBlock, spot on.

CN had rallies on his 56 Nomad when he first got it and a carb. CN, I was checking out your pictures from your build thread. Theres nothing wrong with how that car looked then nor now. Your tastes just changed. But because they changed doesn't mean there was anything wrong with how you originally did your car.

So CN, when you criticize just remember you did exactly the same, you just changed your mind.

Scorp