PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Air controls

chevynut
01-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Have any of you guys installed a Gen IV (servo) Vintage Air modified control panel in your 55 or 56? I modified mine per Vintage Air's instructions, and I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to get it back in the dash. With the long potentiometers hanging out there doesn't seem to be any way to install it. I've turned it every which way and it won't go in. WTH??

This is what the monstrosity looks like...

https://www.vintageautoairconditioning.com/files/1950578/uploaded/55-56%20control%20pnl.jpg

Looks to me like you have to remove the lower two pots and reinstall them under the dash once the unit is in place. The other way seems to be to install it from behind without the bezel in place, then install the bezel from the front.....but what a PITA that would be. The instructions don't say anything about it. :confused:

55 Rescue Dog
01-08-2019, 02:39 PM
I feel your pain, which is why I hate working on "modern cars". I usually figure out how the hell they put it together, after I break something trying to get it apart.

BamaNomad
01-08-2019, 07:15 PM
I feel your pain, which is why I hate working on "modern cars". I usually figure out how the hell they put it together, after I break something trying to get it apart.

I couldn't have it better myself, but *maybe* that means we both are old and impatient... :)

TrifiveRichard
01-09-2019, 05:47 AM
It’s been a little while, but I believe I had to remove the bezel, install the controls, then reinstall the bezel. I think that’s the only way the unit can be locked in place.

busterwivell
01-09-2019, 05:52 AM
I don't remember it being much of an issue..........must be getting old........just put it in last January........

chevynut
01-09-2019, 06:47 AM
I don't remember it being much of an issue..........must be getting old........just put it in last January........

Was yours the servo-controlled Gen IV unit or the older cable-controlled unit? The hole in the dash is just barely big enough for the control panel, much less fitting it in there with all the pots hanging off of it. Once it's in it shouldn't be a problem....it's getting it through the hole.

I guess A/C is just "too modern" for some guys to bother with. LOL:D

55 Rescue Dog
01-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Why is it difficult to remove the bezel? From the pic it just looks like the plastic knobs, and 4 screws.

chevynut
01-09-2019, 12:09 PM
The bezel is off (I have a new one ready) and a guy on FB confirmed that he installs them from behind the dash, then attaches the bezel. Vintage Air's instructions tell you to put the whole control panel together, then install it into the dash. I showed it to my son last night and I identified two ways that it could be done, one of which was to install it without the bezel, and the second was by removing the bottom pots and re-installing them after the unit was in the dash. Not sure which would be easier, but I'll use one or the other. Seems like VA should address this in their instructions.

Bitchin'57
01-09-2019, 12:26 PM
I threw away the stock control panel and went with the VA 3 knob control panel.

Troy
01-09-2019, 06:44 PM
I have the old school 4/55 AC for now some day I'll put new stuff in.

55mike
01-09-2019, 08:56 PM
I installed the Gen IV with those servo's... bad news is I did it about 9 yrs ago.. and the old grey matter just doesn't remember the details. This said, I believe I followed VA's instructions to a T and installed the servos and somehow fished the thing back in to the hole. Sorry I don't have more detail. I will comment how much I like the system once installed. The controls work perfect!

chevynut
01-09-2019, 09:09 PM
I believe I followed VA's instructions to a T and installed the servos and somehow fished the thing back in to the hole.

If you fished it back into the hole you must have cut, bent, or removed something! I've turned and twisted the thing every way possible and it won't go in. If you push the upper pots in by turning the unit sideways, the bottom ones hit the dash. If you put the bottom ones in the hole first there's no way the top ones will go in. The control unit is a tight fit. With the hundreds or thousands of these things that have been installed, I'm amazed how little feedback I've gotten. A guy on Madmook's FB page gave me input and said he removes the bezel and installs it from behind the dash. Another guy said he got his in but doesn't remember how either. :p

I'll be waiting to install this until I get some wiring done, but I wanted to make sure it fit. Turns out I had a slight interference with my hydraulic clutch bracket and had to make a slight modification. I thought I mocked this all up....:geek:

busterwivell
01-10-2019, 04:36 AM
Definitely not cable driven..........

55mike
01-10-2019, 05:29 PM
If you fished it back into the hole you must have cut, bent, or removed something! I've turned and twisted the thing every way possible and it won't go in. If you push the upper pots in by turning the unit sideways, the bottom ones hit the dash. If you put the bottom ones in the hole first there's no way the top ones will go in. The control unit is a tight fit. With the hundreds or thousands of these things that have been installed, I'm amazed how little feedback I've gotten. A guy on Madmook's FB page gave me input and said he removes the bezel and installs it from behind the dash. Another guy said he got his in but doesn't remember how either. :p

I'll be waiting to install this until I get some wiring done, but I wanted to make sure it fit. Turns out I had a slight interference with my hydraulic clutch bracket and had to make a slight modification. I thought I mocked this all up....:geek:

Dang.. I wish I could remember! Perhaps I somehow came in from under/back then installed the bezel.. that seems to make sense...
It was a BITCH fo-sho

brian55
01-22-2019, 01:50 PM

you have to take off the bezel and install the unit from behind,thats the only way i could get mine to go in.