PDA

View Full Version : Hidden hinge

MadMooks
06-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Haven’t done much on the nomad. I got a hidden hinge setup that looks promising. Needs some minor adjustment . I spun off the Buick caballero design. Raised cargo floor 1” or so and tucked the lower part of tailgate under it. Lots of work let me tell ya . I have a video but I can’t load it for some reason . I’m gonna replace tailgate and tailspin because they have been beat up pretty good. I’ve tried 4-5 different hinge setups hard to do when u cant make ur own hinge in house. I used rear hatch hinges off a Denali

chevynut
06-18-2019, 10:48 AM
What happens if someone sits on it? :eek: Are you still going to use the cables?

I would have loved to delete my hinges, but I felt it was too big of a project and I've already done so many mods. Did you ever look at how Kindigit did it on that 55 Nomad? Building custom hinges should be easy for you since you have the machining capability. Building them is the easy part....designing them to work right is the hard part.

MadMooks
06-18-2019, 11:06 AM
What happens if someone sits on it? :eek: Are you still going to use the cables?

I would have loved to delete my hinges, but I felt it was too big of a project and I've already done so many mods. Did you ever look at how Kindigit did it on that 55 Nomad? Building custom hinges should be easy for you since you have the machining capability. Building them is the easy part....designing them to work right is the hard part.

I’m gonna still use cables. I need to make a stop tho cuz they are too long now . I can shift the guide up in the quarter towards the front of car or do something else. After all the work I’ve done that problem seems like an easy fix.

I can’t pull the guys that work for us off making parts for me. Madmooks is priority, this hinge thing is just my hobby . I have 250 pairs of door strikers being run right now. The hidden hinge won’t be something I’ll sell so I didn’t really see that as an option .

I didn’t see kindigs . I do kno this tho , 55s have the most clearance to the bumper . The way he tucked the bumper and flipped it gave him the best clearance of any car out there . Hot rod dynamics actually just made hinges and will be selling a kit. He did it on a 55 tho and it’s very tight with bumper so id prolly want to see it on a 56/57 before I buy one before I do this to our 57. 57s are even tighter and most guys raise the bumpers because they have gaps with the taillights on the corners. Kudos to those guys for going after it tho. The first design I tried in January worked but the bumper clearance was just too close. Can’t say the Buick idea was the best way to do it , but it is a way to do It.

MadMooks
06-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Just more info . G3 used Silverado rear door hinges with a double pivot . I didn’t really want to cheat off his setup but it does work. He doesn’t have cables so I’m guessing they weren’t long enough . If the tailgate goes out and down , you’r cable will be too short . I guess there’s pros and cons to each setup . The 275k 56 nomad at Barrett used s10 hinges. The tailgate isn’t really flat or close to factory flat. He had the clearance tho to make it flat, but I guess didn’t want to lengthen cable .

chevynut
06-18-2019, 11:57 AM
Just more info . G3 used Silverado rear door hinges with a double pivot . I didn’t really want to cheat off his setup but it does work. He doesn’t have cables so I’m guessing they weren’t long enough . If the tailgate goes out and down , you’r cable will be too short . I guess there’s pros and cons to each setup . The 275k 56 nomad at Barrett used s10 hinges. The tailgate isn’t really flat or close to factory flat. He had the clearance tho to make it flat, but I guess didn’t want to lengthen cable .

Wow, after the hundreds of thousands of dollars those guys spent on those cars, I can't believe a simple, cheap custom cable was such a big deal. :rolleyes:

If you're not going to sell them, why didn't you just copy G3? I haven't seen that car in person but I talked to Jose at Ogden Chrome about it at length. I guess I see the satisfaction in coming up with your own design, though. 8-)

I don't think bumper clearance is an issue.....if you eliminate the guards....like you should. :)

MadMooks
06-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Wow, after the hundreds of thousands of dollars those guys spent on those cars, I can't believe a simple, cheap custom cable was such a big deal. :rolleyes:

If you're not going to sell them, why didn't you just copy G3? I haven't seen that car in person but I talked to Jose at Ogden Chrome about it at length. I guess I see the satisfaction in coming up with your own design, though. 8-)

I don't think bumper clearance is an issue.....if you eliminate the guards....like you should. :)

I guess you could say I copied Buick haha. I just wanted the challenge of doing something no one has done . Weird to say because I coulda saved a ton of time just going with the G3 setup. I’m glad I didn’t tho, it exercised my brain to figure this setup out.

Bumper clearance is definitely an issue. It’s almost a must to suck the bumper close to the body . That center tailgate bar is the issue , at least with what I saw. No chance in hell guards will work , well unless you did it my way but I don’t want guards. G3’s bumper looks weird at the top to me almost like they changed the curvature . They might have run into a bumper clearance as well.

MadMooks
06-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Here’s the G3. Pretty heavy duty

chevynut
06-18-2019, 01:49 PM
Here’s the G3. Pretty heavy duty

I'm betting you couldn't sit or put much weight on that tailgate without screwing something up. But it looks nice without the cables except for the big holes for the hinges. I wonder why they didn't put them further apart.

NickP
06-18-2019, 04:03 PM
If, one was to expend that much money and time eliminating things, one would have at least considered that awful handle and button, automatic opener ala Tahoe/Suburban. Why half ass it?

Gmvette
06-18-2019, 04:18 PM
I'm betting you couldn't sit or put much weight on that tailgate without screwing something up. But it looks nice without the cables except for the big holes for the hinges. I wonder why they didn't put them further apart.

My guess is the clean look was intended when the tailgate was closed, not so much a concern when opened. If the clean look was desired when open just leave it as it was. I would agree why not space the hinges out for more stability over the length.........?

MadMooks
06-18-2019, 04:43 PM
If, one was to expend that much money and time eliminating things, one would have at least considered that awful handle and button, automatic opener ala Tahoe/Suburban. Why half ass it?

I agree. Handle got to go

Gmvette
06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
But if one does not elect to power control the tail gate something (handle button lock release) is required. No different than a door handle and button. It’s part of the character of the car like ‘57 hood rockets or hood bird or the blue bow tie.

IMHO the chrome handle/button looks fine with the vertical trim bars.

BamaNomad
06-19-2019, 08:23 PM
I agree Gmvette.... once one modifies/changes everything that is 'Nomad'... is it a Nomad any longer?

Gmvette
06-24-2019, 11:59 AM
I can understand a small modification such as the tail gate hinges. For anybody that uses their car the hinge will be venerable to rust due to the movement over the pin with moisture. Yes one can keep on it and avoid the brown. A reconfigured internal hinge will look better. Is it 57 Chevy Nomad looking..... no. But does it total detract from the Nomad look....not really. But on the other hand the handle and button is all Nomad and if removed/changed it subtracts from the overall function, feel and look of a Nomad.

IMHO a Nomad needs to look and feel Nomad. Things like brakes, steering, engine, tranny, rear end, exhaust, added gauges, seat covers/interior, adding air, and paint don’t detract from it being a Nomad. But bucket seats, added console, removed chrome trim/bumper, and big ass custom wheels that don’t fit the wheel well anywhere near normal does affect the Nomad look. Again IMHO too low and big ass wheels sucks. They don’t fit the time period of the Nomad. But if the owner likes it....it is his car and can do as he/she likes.

chevynut
06-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Big balloon looking 15” tires, traction bars and engines sticking out of the hood detract from the “look and feel” of a Nomad imo. Funny how things one person likes are okay but those another likes aren’t. A Nomad is a Nomad as long as the b pillar is intact, the roof still has the ribs, and the tailgate slants forward and still has the chrome bars. That’s what makes the Nomad a Nomad. To say that bucket seats and a console no longer make it a Nomad is ridiculous.

Gmvette
06-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Big balloon looking 15” tires, traction bars and engines sticking out of the hood detract from the “look and feel” of a Nomad imo. Funny how things one person likes are okay but those another likes aren’t. A Nomad is a Nomad as long as the b pillar is intact, the roof still has the ribs, and the tailgate slants forward and still has the chrome bars. That’s what makes the Nomad a Nomad. To say that bucket seats and a console no longer make it a Nomad is ridiculous.

The 14” and 15” tires are what came on the Nomad depending on year. Traction bars can be non obtrusive but definitely not necessary unless drag racing. An entirely different chassis can be substituted for the original. But that definitely wouldn’t be Nomad. One can fit a lot of engine without sticking thru the hood. With the hood closed as long as none of the engine is thru the hood all is hidden. The Nomad is a collection of all the body pieces that constitutes it’s make up. The door handles window trim body side moldings, bumperettes, lights, etc are all components of a Nomad. Shouldn’t limit the roof and tail deck to being the only Nomad components. The interior and dash constitute the Nomad look too. Changing major factors that one person interfaces with subtracts from the Nomad. Changing a Nomad to a custom makes it just that a custom.

IMHO when the question arises what was this?....than the Nomad is disguised or built out. The interior can be modernized to the point that it don’t resemble the original Nomad, it becomes just that... modern.

I’m not saying one not customize a Nomad at all. Just understand it is a custom build using some part of the original Nomad. But the result is not what a Nomad is. Changing frame, engine, tranny, rear end, suspension, brakes, and steering are not really visible on the surface. The body, wheels, and interior are what stands out when observing said car.

The look and human interface with power features, buckets and console are custom and absent of Nomad feel. Nothing wrong with it if that is what the owner wants. All I’m saying is less Nomad remains in the car with the more the original is replaced with modern.

Ending up with a car that is nothing more than the shape of the body being vintage while everything else is modern as a new car is the trend of “resto-mod” vehicles created today. Essentially created is a modern say 2019 Camaro with a 50’s body. The craftsmanship on many of these cars is outstanding and guys have even hundreds of thousands $$$$ in them. Yes I do enjoy looking at them.

Rick_L
06-25-2019, 01:19 PM
I prefer the Nomad* version myself, as opposed to a Nomad.

markm
06-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Change the dash,install late model seats, add an overhead spaceship console, gang banger wheels and you have something many will not give a second look,

Tabasco
06-26-2019, 05:23 AM
Custom Car

Slanted B pillar.

Tailgate bars.

Ribs on the roof. Yes it must be a Nomad.

BamaNomad
06-26-2019, 06:03 AM
Yep! Chevynut's 'ideal' Nomad.... :)

.. but it still has exposed TG hinges!

markm
06-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Great work guys, probably as close as it we will ever see to his ultimate dream car and my worst nightmare.

55 Rescue Dog
06-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Custom Car

Slanted B pillar.

Tailgate bars.

Ribs on the roof. Yes it must be a Nomad.
That thing is freaking cool. At least the rear isn't narrowed up like a steam roller.

567chevys
06-26-2019, 04:08 PM
That thing is freaking cool. At least the rear isn't narrowed up like a steam roller.

IMO that is Ugly as Hillary Clinton on her Good Day

BamaNomad
06-26-2019, 06:18 PM
I'd want to wear a mask to drive it, and HOPE it didn't break down before I could drive it into a closed up garage *or a river*.. :)

Gmvette
06-26-2019, 07:28 PM

I don’t care what your looking at (what ever that car is supposed to be) but that’s funny.

Troy
06-27-2019, 10:36 AM
Awww the Play Bunny Coach!!! This was built in the shop right next to the tranny shop my step brother worked at in Concord Ca. I've seen it live when it was ran into the ground, but I guess they've rebuilt it since!!

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/19/2007-barrett-jackson-this-used-to-be-a-nomad-really/#slide-463036

Gmvette
06-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Awww the Play Bunny Coach!!! This was built in the shop right next to the tranny shop my step brother worked at in Concord Ca. I've seen it live when it was ran into the ground, but I guess they've rebuilt it since!!

https://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/19/2007-barrett-jackson-this-used-to-be-a-nomad-really/#slide-463036

The only good looking in that ride was the playmates that might have rode in it. The vehicle has NO TASTE AT ALL.

CALL THAT A NOMAD..........I THINK NOT.

55 Rescue Dog
06-27-2019, 12:13 PM
No pictures of it's modern interior, but the description of the interior mods sound recently familiar. I'll bet it has some funky LED headlights to complete the design.

markm
06-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Cnut must be too busy partying with his buddy Romax in Mass. to comment on his dream car.

markm
06-29-2019, 08:12 AM
IMO that is Ugly as Hillary Clinton on her Good Day

It looks like the result of crossing Hillary with Nancy Pelosi.

bigblock
06-30-2019, 07:29 AM
AMEN!!! markm

scorpion1110
06-30-2019, 08:03 AM
So I like customs. Always have. I liked Roth's and Starbird's work. They are a neat representation of what appealed to the builder. So I dont hate this Nomad-thingy. Hower, I dont want it unless it comes with updated bunnies.

However check this.

When I saw this post, I decided to take a look on the web for a car by Darryl Starbird called the Electra. A bubble-topped 58 Tbird. I found this:

http://x61thunderbirdbubbletop.blogspot.com/2011/12/darrryl-starbirds-electra-turns-into-x.html

So I am reading the article and it says the Electra was destroyed. Nope. A friend bought it out of Ohio in the late 90's and its in his shop in beautiful Maryland. The bubbles were cracked but its got all of the Starbird styling cues including joystick steering, and was rocking a set of Supremes. The hood weighed about a ton.

Scorp