PDA

View Full Version : 57 rear axle location

wheelie
06-19-2019, 02:10 PM
I have never liked the looks of the stock rear axle location on the 57 chevy ... It appears to be too far forward and not centered with the wheel well opening... and don't forget about the rubbing in the front with a taller tire ... this 57 I have has had the spring pocket kit installed already , and is sitting on 2" lowering blocks ... has anyone moved the axle back an inch or so to aid in the cosmetic looks ??

what are my possible solutions ?

redrill springs for centerline location farther back ?? (never heard of that ?)

redrill spring pad for centerpin , or lowering block ??

what else is an SAFE way to do it ??

I don't care about having a new driveshaft made , I'm going to end up moving the engine mounts forward some for a Big block anyway ...

Tabasco
06-20-2019, 05:08 AM
redrill springs for centerline location farther back ?? (never heard of that ?)

I would be concerned that putting an extra hole in the spring might weaken it. Ecklers list a spring with the pin 3/4 inch back but I just checked and they are temporarily out of stock.

redrill spring pad for centerpin , or lowering block

That is what I would try if I decided to do it.

chevynut
06-20-2019, 04:08 PM
I agree that if you're only looking at an inch, moving the hole in the pads or lowering blocks is the best way. Another way might be to order custom springs built to your specs, especially if you already need springs. There might even be some springs that work, but it's a long shot.

wheelie
06-21-2019, 03:10 AM
well the car already has new springs, so I guess maybe I'll make my own 2" lowering blocks and offset the pin and hole 1" from each other and try it that way ,, (move them both 1/2" off center opposite ways ) .. thanks

kbuhagiar
06-21-2019, 05:15 AM
well the car already has new springs, so I guess maybe I'll make my own 2" lowering blocks and offset the pin and hole 1" from each other and try it that way ,, (move them both 1/2" off center opposite ways ) .. thanks

wheelie,

Just theorizing here, as I've never done it myself (although I may in the near future)...for appearances sake, wouldn't you want to keep the lowering block centered on the axle mounting pad? I'm thinking I'd rather move the block's location in relation to the leaf spring, IMHO it would appear less conspicuous that way.

In any case, good luck!

chevynut
06-21-2019, 10:53 AM
wheelie,

Just theorizing here, as I've never done it myself (although I may in the near future)...for appearances sake, wouldn't you want to keep the lowering block centered on the axle mounting pad? I'm thinking I'd rather move the block's location in relation to the leaf spring, IMHO it would appear less conspicuous that way.

In any case, good luck!

i totally agree. ��