PDA

View Full Version : Shop addition starts Monday!

chevynut
05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Got my building permit in hand, quotes for excavation and concrete work, and most of the parts removed and fence torn down from where the new addition is going to be built. An old high school buddy of mine is going to help me build it. He owns a construction company, and has recently had some medical issues so he can't work full-time. But he knows the ins and outs of getting things done. I built the original shop myself, except for the concrete work, brick, and drywall. But this time I am going to farm more of it out since I really don't have the time to build all of it. Also, I need it built fast so I can proceed to get my Nomad painted.

I attached a pic of what's there now, and the new addition will more than double the size (adding almost 1300 sf). It's going to be on the right hand side as seen in the attached pic, and I'm planning a single 18-foot wide overhead door.

By the way, I also attached pics of my friends 55 that he's owned since junior high school. He put a Duramax and an Allison transmission in it. It has over 800 ft-lb torque. Wow!

Troy
05-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Chevnut most would be happy with the existing shop you're a luck dog!!! That '55's got to be a stump puller, and the radiator is huge. Anyone with an over heating problem should look into that radiator!!!

Run-em
05-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Love to hear the stories he has generated when he fills up with diesel!

Double Nickel
05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Cool that you're moving ahead with your build, and cool that someone stuffed a diesel into a shoebox. I love it!

56-210Sedan
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Good to hear you everything is moving forward Laszlo :) looking forward to seeing the updates.

Bakins
05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I wish I had the room to build a shop. You gonna go into fabrication full time? ;)

chevynut
05-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Brian, we are still building frames and I refuse to have my Nomad in the shop with grinders, plasma cutter, sanders, and steel parts flying around. It's also really dirty in the existing shop due to all the grinding and stuff. Things get really crowded when my car is apart, and after painting it there will be lots of parts laying around to assemble. So this new shop addition will give me a nice clean place to work, and a place to store my ATV(s), and equipment I don't use regularly.

chevynut
05-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Well I worked my butt off the past couple of days and got everything moved out, about 100 feet of cedar privacy fence removed, posts pulled out, and the shop addition staked out for Monday. My friend will be here Monday morning with a track-hoe to start digging. We should have a foundation in about a week or so, and have it backfilled in less than two weeks. I have to tear some brick and trim off the end of theshop, and there will be a door where the window now is to go between shop areas. Here's a pic of the area where the addition will be....the shop was needing a paint job anyhow. :)

chevynut
05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
We haven't had rain or snow in months here, and it has been dry as a popcorn fart. But yesterday it rained and we couldn't dig. So we finished it today. Got the hole dug and the guys are supposed to set forms for the footings tomorrow. Finally, it's started!

I've been working on the interior structure of my Nomad too, so hopefully when the shop is done the car will be ready for paint. :)

chevynut
05-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Footings are FINISHED!!! They're pouring the walls tomorrow. Wow, this is going fast. ;)

BAM55
05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Man I wish I had space you are a lucky man. Good luck with your addition.

chevynut
05-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Forms are all up, and walls are ready to pour! Damn government inspectors work on their own time, with no schedule, so you have to sit around and wait for them to show up. :mad:

We should be backfilling early next week and preparing for the slab. This time, I'm having the lines CUT in the slab rather than tooled. That way I can roll an engine hoist across the shop easily. I got to the concrete guys too late on the last floor and they tooled it so it's a PITA. Over $10K will be spent by the time the slab is done. :eek:

WagonCrazy
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Cool. Someone's keepin the local construction economy going. That new addition is deeper than the existing garage....and i'm sure you have every square foot planned for something. Are you making the cieling high enough for a 4 post and double stacking cars. You'll want that space before long. :rolleyes:

Last time I was there, it was a foot of snow. And had to be the coldest day of the year that year...

Geoff
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
That's going to be a nice-sized and nice looking shop! Man, I don't envy your winters, but I sure envy your summers.
I'll make plans to come see you if we go to Estes Park again this summer.

BTW, What size wheels and tires is your friend using on the back of that Duramax powered '55?
They look huge!

chevynut
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Paul, I don't plan to be here much longer, or I would have built a big-ass shop on my back pasture...something like 3000-4000 square feet. This addition is 1300 square feet, and the original shop is 1144. It will work for a while. When I get my new place....wherever that is...I plan to build a 60x80 building and block off part of it just for storage, and heat the rest.

I talked myself out of a lift...it takes up too much room.

Geoff, our past winter was really mild. We had a couple of snows in the late fall, and nothing since. It's been warm all winter...hardly a drop of moisture which isn't good.

You have to be sure to stop by next time you're here.

WagonCrazy
05-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I talked myself out of a lift...it takes up too much room.

Really? Not even a 2 post lift so you dont' have to crawl on your back under the cars? All you need is about 12 foot ceiling height...
That will surely make it worth extra $ to the guy you sell the place to one day. :)

chevynut
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I've got WALLS! They poured the concrete Thursday and removed the forms over the weekend while I was in Wyoming building antelope blinds. We're planning to backfill this week. I have several truckloads of structural fill coming Tuesday. Then we have to prepare for the slab.

smooth 56
05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Looks like a nice adition, Wont be long you will be moveing in.

chevynut
05-23-2012, 11:45 AM
We got the end of the shop torn off late last week so we're ready to start framing the new section. I decided to pull the siding off too, just to make it not look so much like an addition. ;)

I had 75 tons of structural fill dumped for backfilling under the slab and bought the under-slab insulation that goes around the walls (R10). We had to order some parts for my son's skid loader and now we have that fixed and running. I just unloaded it off the trailer this afternoon, and reserved a "jumping jack" tamper so we can backfill tonight and hopefully pour a slab early next week if the flatwork guys can schedule it in.

chevynut
05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
My son and I got the backfilling and tamping done. I set the foam insulation in place all around the inside of the foundation walls, as required by the new "energy code". I did this on my original shop before it was required.

I spent about 3 hours getting beat up by a "jumping jack" tamping machine. Then I did a rough grade on the outside of the walls. Still need to haul in a couple of truckloads of fill dirt.

WagonCrazy
05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Being from a warmer weather region, I'm trying to understand what that insulation does? is it keeping the cold frosty winter temps from transfering thru the cement footing into the space under the slab floor? does it keep the floor from getting cold in the winter?

chevynut
05-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Theoretically it would keep the area under the slab warmer. Our frost line goes down to about 30" some years. You can also lay the insulation horizontally under the slab if you want to, and still meet code. I cut the insulation level with the bottom of the slab today, and we will be installing the expansion joint around the perimeter tomorrow. Then we will add a 3 foot grid of #4 rebar, cut out the concrete wall under the window for a doorway, and the slab will be ready to pour. I hope to have a floor by this weekend.

Run-em
05-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Er, Laz, you might want to explain what frost is...seein' he's from California.

chevynut
05-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Run-em, easy on the Californians, I don't think their school system is THAT bad. LOL! ;)

Paul saw some of our "frosty" weather when he was here picking up his frame.

Run-em
05-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah, wuz just pullin his foot!! Cause "Cali" has all the good weather.

chevynut
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM
It's ready to pour the slab!

We got all the rebar in place, cut out the concrete for the doorway to the other shop, and put up some forms. They are coming to pour the slab on Friday morning.

The lumber will be delivered on Monday, and we'll start framing on Tuesday. ;)

WagonCrazy
05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Moving fast Laszlo! But I see no plumbing for the bar sink or kegerator...

chevynut
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Got a fridge for the beers, and the house is only 100 feet away so no plumbing to screw with. I would have had to put in another leach field since I'm on septic and it's on the opposite side of the house. I'm probably going to put a couch in there and a TV with a DVD player. :)

Troy
06-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Who needs plumbing, I'm sure you can build one of these Lazlo!!

chevynut
06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Got a slab!!!! ;)

The guys did an awesome job on it. They'll SAW the slab tomorrow, then I plan to epoxy it in a few weeks after the shop is done.

56-210Sedan
06-01-2012, 03:59 PM
That turned out nice Laszlo :cool: it will go fast once the framing begins, you will be moving in before you know it.

567chevys
06-01-2012, 05:19 PM
Very Nice Laszlo , are you going to use the new area for the cnutrodshop ??? It would be a nice place to build the frames and then use the other side (old) to store your drivers in.

chevynut
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Got some framing completed. Walls are almost done. We have a crane scheduled to set trusses next Thursday.

NickP
06-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Nice slab - where will the pool table go when its done

NickP
06-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Are you going to purchase a paint booth for that side?

chevynut
06-08-2012, 06:22 PM
No paint booth, and no pool table. I will probably put a couch and fridge, and maybe a TV in it. This is going to be my "clean" area where I can move some of my 'clean" equipment like bead roller, shrinker and stretcher, English Wheel, brake, and a few other things that I don't use a lot. I will also use it to disassemble and re-assemble my car when I paint it. I have a couple of paint booths I can borrow/rent so I really don't need or want one.

56-210Sedan
06-09-2012, 05:43 AM
yes indeed very nice

WagonCrazy
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
How about a driveway? you gonna pour one or at least a large concrete area off the front of those 2 garages before its all over?

chevynut
06-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Paul, the driveway depends on how much money I have left when this is done. Most likely it will be crushed asphalt for a while. :)

chevynut
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Trusseses are going up in the morning!! The roof should be sheeted by late afternoon. Then I need to get onto the roofing...unfortunately I'm stuck with cedar $hake$. :(

Anyone want to buy a nice '57 4-door sedan? :)

WagonCrazy
06-14-2012, 12:37 PM
unfortunately I'm stuck with cedar $hake$.

Wow, really?
Around here there are 2 main reasons why these aren't allowed any more:
1. Fire hazard.
2.Interior mold hazard from leaking (albeit they do seal very well when installed and maintained properly)

When my tract house was built in 88, it had cedar shingles. When we di the full house remodel-addition in 03, the city building codes required removal and reroof with light weight concrete tile or equivalent.

With the forest burning just up the road like it is, I wonder why it has to be cedar shingles on your new garage addition. Is it a homeowners association standard kind of thing?

chevynut
06-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Paul, when I built the shop about 12 years ago I put cedar shakes and some brick on it to match the house. With the shop addition, I'm either forced to continue the shakes, or remove all of them and re-roof the old and new shop. The cost is probably about the same either way. So there are no rules about what I can have for a roof, just that I don't have much choice.

Shakes are illegal in town, but I'm in the county. Personally I don't think government should be telling us what we can and can't use to build our houses. If I want to pay the additional cost of insurance, I don't see it as any of their business.

567chevys
06-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi guys where I live , We have a burn banned from July 15 to October 15 , my house is in the woods I have over 2 thousand acres of woods and trees and just 3 homes
I have lived there 7 years and the first year at thanksgiving our fire alarm went off in the house and I did not know what it was. We also have a alarm for breakends . The story here is that after I firgure out that the alarm went off because the turkey overflowed and cause the smoke . My dad said shit the fire department will show up now . So we all started to eat after 45 minutes there was a very large knock on the front door , my dad said shit its the fire department LOL
I went to the front door and he was right a fireman with oxgen back pack on so I open the door and he said dont tell me its a turkey that overboild in the pan I said Yep !!! he wasnt to happy they had a very large fire tuck at my place also he said there was a tanker truck out on kool rd which is one mile from my home
What I did learn was get what I can get and run as if it takes them 45 minutes to get to my place then all that will be left is the concrete foundation
Here is a picture of my place

Run-em
06-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey, 567Chevy, kinda looks like your house resembles one on chevynut's deer blinds.

chevynut
06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
The trusses are set and the roof sheathing is on! We trimmed the garage door opening with cedar, and Monday the plan is to build the stairway to the attic.

WagonCrazy
06-15-2012, 06:45 PM
If I want to pay the additional cost of insurance, I don't see it as any of their business.

Yes I agree. And I forgot to mention my homeowners insurance company would not renew my policy if I didn't re-roof with something OTHER THAN wood shake.
That was Triple A of So Cal. I had a lengthy conversation with them 2 years earlier, when their letters started coming telling me they wouldnt reissue the policy on the expiration date. It turned out they were mostly concerned with the resulting water and mold damage costs that were skyrocketing on them.
They wanted that stuff gone. We were about to do the house addition anyway and about had 2/3 of the eixsting roof tore off so moving it all to lightweight concrete was the better thing to do.

But that was HEAVY stuff. My existing roof structure barely met the engineering calculations. Went from approx. 10,000 pounds (shake) to 24,000 pounds (lightweight concrete). That was 10 years ago now.

These days, folks around here are reroofing with metal shingles that look like clay tiiles. Very light weight. But when it rains hard, it's the tin roof sound for sure.

But it never rains in California so that isn't a big deal.

Your garage is looking good man. Bet you can't wait to get your clean assembly room all set up in there....

chevynut
06-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Got stairs!

We finished building the stairs to the storage attic. My old shop has an attic, and I have a lot of chit stored in it. But I don't have a good way to access it. I intended to put a drop-down ladder in it, but never could make it work due to the high ceilings and 6/12 pitch roof. Now I have a way to get into the new attic space, and I intend to cut access into the old attic from there too. Attached is a pic of the inside of the new shop. The stairs were a PITA to build. But it really looks big inside now. ;)

BAM55
06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Man, I'd be happy if I just had your new space. Looks great.

smooth 56
06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Lookin good Chevynut wont be to much longer.Shure wish I could add on to mine, mine is only a 24x36 could stand to have that much more lol.

chevynut
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Just got back from week's vacation in Utah, and found out that we had a framing inspection done and we're good to go. Next step is the cedar fascia and then the roofing. I need to find some windows that will work and match the existing windows. Seems they keep changing the rules on me......damn government BS.

chevynut
08-06-2012, 04:42 PM
We have a roof!!! It only took a month and $6700! :eek:

Now we have to get the soffit installed. I ordered windows so I can get the trim and siding installed soon....windows are 2 weeks out. Hope to have it closed up and perhaps painted in a month or so.

smooth 56
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Lookin good chevy won't be long now.By the way where you going to hang the stand so you can shoot those big mulies you showed me.LOL. Man those were nice!

56-210Sedan
08-06-2012, 08:15 PM
The shop is really coming together Laszlo, you should be able to hang a lot of Elk or shucks ;) i mean engines in that new addition

chevynut
08-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi Marty! Yeah, it's coming together, but has really slowed down. I have been trying to pay for everything out of pocket, and that was my plan over about 6 months of building it. With my retirement looming, I have slowed the cash flow. Now that I understand my exact retirement date, have some frames booked, and better understand my finances I plan to move forward more quickly and get it closed in. I still have a lot of work to do inside, so this will probably delay finishing my car. I really wanted to make Goodguys next year (even if it was without an interior), but that may not happen now.

chevynut
10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Finally moving along with the siding and doors. Got the windows in, man-door set, installed the house wrap, and have siding and trim on two sides. I've been painting some of it as I go.

chevynut
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Too damned cold and wet to work outside today. I thought I'd have the shop closed up and insulated by now. sigh.

56-210Sedan
10-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Too damned cold and wet to work outside today. I thought I'd have the shop closed up and insulated by now. sigh.

Gosh Dang ;) i do not get to say this much, but i am right there with you on this, as it is cold,rainy, and no doors or insulation, Shop doors scheduled for Monday the 29th :rolleyes: but insulation is going to be slow going as i am concentrating on electrical next so i can see to insulate LOL. You will get there hang in there :rolleyes:

chevynut
11-29-2012, 07:47 PM
FINALLY got the south end finished. MAN that's a big area to side and paint. I've spent a couple of weeks up on extension ladders!

NickP
11-29-2012, 07:55 PM
FINALLY got the south end finished. MAN that's a big area to side and paint. I've spent a couple of weeks up on extension ladders!

Scaffolding works better than ladders - safer too - get more done with one move.

chevynut
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
If I had scaffolding, I would have used it. It's very expensive to rent. Once I finished, a friend told me he has a garage full of it.

One problem I had is I couldn't do it alone, so I could only work an hour or two in the evenings when my GF could help me put siding up. Being on an angle made it very difficult too, but I made it match the other end. The wall is 34 feet long and 10 feet high at the eves. I don't really like being on a ladder 18+ feet in the air.

Just glad it's done. Now all I have outside is the east side....should be a lot easier.

NickP
11-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Well, it looks great! Construction can be a bitch. I adding on to the back of the shop now - All steel and it's heavy but I don't have to paint.

smooth 56
11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
The addition is looking good chevy. I know what ya mean about the later's don't like being on them getting to old for that.It wont be long you will have a nice place to finish the 56.