PDA

View Full Version : compressor ?

destroyertta
05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
i have a compressor from home depot 26 gal husky is it worth puting a motor and pump on it or even could i or should i just buy a two stage compressor i might be able to get a motor free or really cheap thanks for any help

chevynut
05-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Personally I think if you need a motor and compressor pump you'll spend as much as getting a new compressor. And if you're in the market for a new one, FOR SURE get a 2-stage if you plan to do much that requires a lot of air. The tank size doesn't matter so much, it's the compressor CFM that's important.

567chevys
05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
I would go with a 2 -Stage compressor much better CFM and Higher Pressure . Use the 26 gallon tank as a air tank reservoir in one corner of your shop

chevynut
05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Use the 26 gallon tank as a air tank reservoir in one corner of your shop

That's exactly what I did to make a moisture separator. I ran a copper line from the compressor to the opposite corner of my shop and dumped it into a 20 gallon tank from an old compressor I had. The air cools in the line, and the moisture dumps into the tank. Then I take air out of the tank and distribute it around the shop. It does a good job of removing moisture.

destroyertta
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
guess i will look for a 2 stage compressor and make this one a storage tank for when i do a big jobs thanks guys for the info

chevynut
05-08-2012, 10:00 AM
guess i will look for a 2 stage compressor and make this one a storage tank for when i do a big jobs thanks guys for the info

I would not consider the 26 gallon tank a "storage tank". Sure it stores air, but once you use the air up in both tanks you're depending on the compressor pump to keep up with your usage. I would try to use the tank as I mentioned...as a moisture trap. Run a long line from the compressor to the second tank so the air can cool. That will remove the moisture from the air. If you don't do that, you will have your tools "spitting" water.

destroyertta
05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I would not consider the 26 gallon tank a "storage tank". Sure it stores air, but once you use the air up in both tanks you're depending on the compressor pump to keep up with your usage. I would try to use the tank as I mentioned...as a moisture trap. Run a long line from the compressor to the second tank so the air can cool. That will remove the moisture from the air. If you don't do that, you will have your tools "spitting" water.

not necessarily going to use it as a stoarge tank but i would like to put a fitting and shut off valve just in case i need to fill up a tire quick and dont want to fill up both tanks but i will plumb the rest of my garage after the second tank for when iam using impact guns paint sanders etc or does it matter thanks

chevynut
05-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Good idea on the shutoff valve...I have one too. When I leave my shop I close the valve at my compressor and turn the electricity to it off at the compressor. I learned this the hard way...had a line break and my compressor ran constantly for a long time before I got back to the shop. I think that's what trashed my last compressor. I also try to disconnect any tools so the air won't leak out overnight.

destroyertta
05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
i was told that if you leave air in the tank for a long time without using it it starts to rust the tank because of the moisture that biulds up inside or will that take forever to happen just dont want to be blowing rust through my tools thanks

Rick_L
05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
With any compressed air system, you need to drain all tanks and water separators regularly, it's just good practice. Every day is good, but often works. And do as I say not as I do because I do the separator and drainback leg regularly, the tank not quite so often.

Romax55
05-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Leaving the air in the tank isn't the problem . The outlet air from your compressor is hot and cools in the lines and the water trap , and will always make condensation ; hence the need for a drain valve at the low point . Emptying the tank of air won't prevent rust from forming in the tank ; condensation happens when the warm or hot air cools in the tank and lines . Be safe...Bob.