PDA

View Full Version : 9.3 Olds Rear

markm
05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I am a charter member of the I Hate 9 Inch Fords Club even though I have bought and sold 100s of them. So when I desided that I wanted an old scool rear in my 56 an Olds was my choice. Anyone else run one of these in their car? I have 57 and 58 third members,the 58 has nore ribs is it necessary for my 350hp 350 CID SBC. THis is kind of a slow project in that my 12 bolt is not broke.

Rick_L
05-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Personally I'd stick with the 12 bolt unless you have some reason to switch that I don't know about.

Back when I first started drag racing I used to see a lot of Pontiac/Olds 3rd members fail by spitting the pinion through front of the case. I didn't know about differences from year to year then - anything with more ribs has to be better. I did run one for a while. It had a 59 up posi 3rd member, never failed while I had it.

Biggest reason not to use an Olds/Pontiac is parts availability.

What's wrong with a 9"? I like them.

markm
05-13-2012, 03:49 PM
The 9 inch Has what I bekieve is the weakest locker, The Traction Lock uses fewer and smaller clutches than any other I have seen. The clutches remind me of what is in a auto trans. I have a 60 inch 9 inch with a 488 Traction Lock in my inventory of stuff. You are correct about parts for the Olds expensive, but I have 50 dollars in two of them complete so I can spend a little,

Rick_L
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
There is a limited slip unit for a 9" that looks much like the Eaton unit for GM axles. I forget who makes it but maybe someone will know, it's not Eaton. I think it's comparably priced with the GM Eaton units ($450 or so). I set up a 9" for a friend a few years back that had this unit.

markm
05-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks I will keep that in mind, I was running a 9 inch under a Camaro in the 70s and switched to a 12 bolt after buying a worn out Traction Lock. I also like to be different my 56 has 57 Olds J2 Carbs on an Offy intake.