PDA

View Full Version : Nomad rear seat progress

chevynut
05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Between building my shop addition, doing yard work, building antelope blinds in Wyoming, and my day job I have actually found time to work on my Nomad console and rear seat.

Here's a picture of the structure I've built so far. It's all aluminum tubing and angle, and will be removable in sections. There will be a "package tray" behind the seat for speakers and for storing stuff. The tubs are 4" wider than stock, so the seat is narrower but even with a full-length console I should have a 21" wide seat which is typical for a bucket seat. I also have the armrests formed out of aluminum, but not quite finished. They are 4" wide at the top, to offset the 4" wider tubs. I'll have better pics before long, I hope.

I think I will have enough cargo space left for a cooler. :)

I attached a pic of one of our antelope blinds that my son and I built a weekend ago too. ;)

Run-em
05-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Good start on the seat, Laszlo, but where is the antelope blind--I only see a clump of brush? LOL

chevynut
05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
That's what I'm hoping the antelope think too. :D

I have to go get some plywood for the cargo floor and the seat bottom/back/etc before I can do much more on the seat. This is a lot of work, mostly figuring things out. Hopefully I can save about $10K on my interior by doing some of this myself....LOL!

Here's some more blind pics showing how we built them......and a second one we built too. I hope we put them in the right spots.:) Both of them are close to the creekbed where antelope should walk by and maybe even water, if there's any water left by then. The one on the hillside is just above what looks like 3-4 places they water. We plan to maybe build one more in a couple weeks when we go up to brand calves. I thought they turned out pretty cool...

Run-em
05-23-2012, 03:28 PM
CONSIDER MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD. STRANGE-- NEW PRODUCT FOR YA TO WORK ON===SEEING AS HOW YOU CAN'T HAMMER & DOLLY, NOR WELD ON IT.

Rick_L
05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Why aluminum?

567chevys
05-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Between building my shop addition, doing yard work, building antelope blinds in Wyoming, and my day job I have actually found time to work on my Nomad console and rear seat.

Here's a picture of the structure I've built so far. It's all aluminum tubing and angle, and will be removable in sections. There will be a "package tray" behind the seat for speakers and for storing stuff. The tubs are 4" wider than stock, so the seat is narrower but even with a full-length console I should have a 21" wide seat which is typical for a bucket seat. I also have the armrests formed out of aluminum, but not quite finished. They are 4" wide at the top, to offset the 4" wider tubs. I'll have better pics before long, I hope.

I think I will have enough cargo space left for a cooler. :)

I attached a pic of one of our antelope blinds that my son and I built a weekend ago too. ;)

Hey Cnut ,
Where is the GUN rack going to be ???

chevynut
05-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Rick, I am using aluminum because I didn't want to use wood like a lot of interior shops do for the basic structure. It just seems "wrong" to me to use that much wood in a car....not sure why. I can weld the aluminum, it's lighter than steel (1/3 the weight), and I already had a lot of 1" aluminum angle that I bought a long time ago. I just thought it would be a good choice for the seat and storage compartment framework. With the wood panels attached, it should be very rigid too. Why not use aluminum?

I saw some cabinet grade plywood at Home Depot that I'll probably use. It has more layers than regular CDX or other plywood and nicer finish. I don't know where I'd get "marine grade" plywood nor how it differs. Plus my car isn't going under water....I hope :)

Sid, no gun racks. ;)

chevynut
05-28-2012, 09:14 AM
I haven't had much time to work on the seat this weekend due to barbeques, backfilling and grading around my shop, and a bunch of other stuff. But I did make a little progress on it. I got the plywood cut and fitted and designed, cut and assembled some of the "package tray" behind the rear seat.

I also added a pic of one of my armrests partially completed. I still need to determine the fnal height and the shape of the upper curvature where it meets the seat. I will be welding a top onto it once that's determined. It was trickier to build those armrests than I thought it would be, since the inner quarters lean in at the top.

chevynut
05-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Made some more progress. I got the plywood cut for the seat backs and bottoms, and some more of the structure welded. I welded supports above the tubs to bolt the framework to. I still need to add some supports and attachment points to the framework so I can attach the console and cushions.

I ended up moving the seat about 2" or more forward from stock sedan/wagon, but not as far forward as in a hardtop. This was to minimize the interference with the front of the tubs.

I am trying to decide what to do in the rear.... leave it open as it is, or build a removable cover for the cargo area. The wood pieces are oversized so the interior shop can cut them to the size they want. I will make all the attachment hardware for everything, so all they have to do is add foam and leather.

I am trying to figure out the correct contour for the armrests, which you can see in place in the pics.

Troy
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Lazlo, there's not much room behind the rear seat for lumber and dead animals, are you gunna have a roof rack? ;>)

chevynut
05-31-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't figure I'll be hauling much in this car, except maybe a cooler or a small suitcase or two. It sits too low to be a good hunting vehicle. :D :D

chevynut
06-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Between work, working on my shop addition, yard work, branding cattle, building another antelope blind, Goodguys, and finishing up another C4 conversion frame I haven't had much time to do any more on the interior the past couple of weeks. I need to get back to it soon. :)

567chevys
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Between work, working on my shop addition, yard work, branding cattle, building another antelope blind, Goodguys, and finishing up another C4 conversion frame I haven't had much time to do any more on the interior the past couple of weeks. I need to get back to it soon. :)

When do you slept ????? you make tired just thinking of the work your doing !!!

MadMooks
06-14-2012, 11:21 PM
looking good C'Nut!