X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick_L
    Registered Member
    • Apr 2012

Decided to go LS3

I've been talking/thinking about going LS3 for a while now. I bit the bullet and purchased the GM LS3 495 hp crate engine. Should be here in a couple of days.

Plan is to convert my LT1 style T56 to LS style. I'm still researching clutches, accessory drives, oil pans, etc. but I'm pretty close on all those. Lots of parts to buy, list is long.
  • MP&C
    Registered Member
    • Dec 2013

One step closer!
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Comment

• JT56
      Registered Member
      • Mar 2013

Congrats Rick
      My Album http://www.trifivechevys.com/album.php?albumid=39

Comment

• WagonCrazy
        Registered Member
        • Mar 2012

What's it going into Rick?
        1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
        1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Comment

• NickP
          Registered Member
          • Mar 2012

Nice piece!

Comment

• rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017
            Registered Member
            • Sep 2013

Congrats Rick going to be killer!!!

Comment

• Rick_L
              Registered Member
              • Apr 2012

WagonCrazy, it's going in my 55 Bel Air 2 door post - the one I've been working (and not) for years. I'm as slow as Cnut - this deal had better renew some enthusiasm.

Comment

• Bitchin'57
                Registered Member
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Rick_L
                I've been talking/thinking about going LS3 for a while now. I bit the bullet and purchased the GM LS3 495 hp crate engine. Should be here in a couple of days.
                Plan is to convert my LT1 style T56 to LS style. I'm still researching clutches, accessory drives, oil pans, etc. but I'm pretty close on all those. Lots of parts to buy, list is long.
                Congrats on the engine choice! All aluminum LS is the way to go! Question...Is that 495 HP version called the LS3 376/480? When I bought my LS3 376/480, I had assumed the 480 stood for the horsepower it makes. Is yours a different engine?
                Last edited by Bitchin'57; 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM.
                Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Comment

• markm
                  Registered Member
                  • May 2012

WagonCrazy, it's going in my 55 Bel Air 2 door post - the one I've been working (and not) for years. I'm as slow as Cnut - this deal had better renew some enthusiasm.
                  Don't feel bad it took me 28 years to get my 56 back on the road. However you are probably like me in that you built several other cars in that timeframe.

Comment

• Rick_L
                    Registered Member
                    • Apr 2012

Bitchin'57, they are the same engine as far as I know. GM part number is 19301358. I have seen it listed at both 480 and 495 hp, even currently. Even the page in the Chevy Performance catalog kind of says both - description is LS376/480, very next line it says 495 hp.

I could have gone with the 525 hp version. Decided not to because the 525 hp is $1000 more, and as far as I can see only the camshaft is different. Plus the main deal is to be able to drive the car, and as a side bonus get some decent mileage - not to be fast as possible.

Comment

• Bitchin'57
                      Registered Member
                      • Aug 2015

Bitchin'57, they are the same engine as far as I know. GM part number is 19301358. I have seen it listed at both 480 and 495 hp, even currently. Even the page in the Chevy Performance catalog kind of says both - description is LS376/480, very next line it says 495 hp.

I could have gone with the 525 hp version. Decided not to because the 525 hp is $1000 more, and as far as I can see only the camshaft is different. Plus the main deal is to be able to drive the car, and as a side bonus get some decent mileage - not to be fast as possible.
                      I had the same reasoning for not choosing the 525 hp. I'm building a driver as well, and the main reason I chose to go the LS route was because it made good power while still getting good MPG. Damn, I must be getting old, I'm giving up power for better gas mileage! LOL
                      Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Comment

• Rick_L
                        Registered Member
                        • Apr 2012

Damn, I must be getting old, I'm giving up power for better gas mileage! LOL
                        Well me too. But there's a lot to be said to be able to go 300 miles with a 16 gallon tank as opposed to 150-200 miles. If you want to go that far without stopping. Stopping more often for other reasons is also a product of getting old.

To me one of the cool things about LS engines is that stock or near stock they can idle at 500 rpm and make nearly 500 hp.

Comment

• Rick_L
                          Registered Member
                          • Apr 2012

Branching out a bit, I'm still considering what to get for front accessory drive, oil pan, and clutch. I'm about 90% on my decisions.

Accessory drive: I'm thinking I'll go with the Corvette LS3 basic package that Chevy Performance sells, without the a/c which is low mount and probably hits the crossmember. For the a/c part I'm thinking using the Holley bracket and a Sanden compressor. It's high mount on the passenger side.

I could go with the Kwik performance bracket for the a/c as it's cheaper but the Holley isn't that much more and the bracket is OEM style. Curiously, Holley has a similar deal to the Chevy Performance LS3 Corvette setup (less a/c) but it's a bit more expensive. Also, Chevy Performance has a complete setup very similar in layout to a complete Holley setup, but it's even more expensive, probably in part because it uses a GM compressor which may be variable displacement. VA doesn't recommend variable displacement compressors with their systems, though some have made them work.

The Holley setup is pretty cool for some applications because they can use the same set of brackets with pretty much any water pump and balancer. They just supply spacers (sold separately) so that it works with the balancer/water pump you have.

I'd love to have a VA front runner, or a Billet Specialties or similar accessory drive, but those sure take the $$$.

Oil pan: I'm probably going with the Holley 302-1, which should fit my car. I'm considering the optional baffle kit, which is a fairly high cost add on, but should be a good thing. Anybody know how good the oil control on acceleration/braking/cornering is with and without this baffle?

Clutch/flywheel/bellhousing: Right now I'm considering a Monster Level 1 or 2 clutch, with a steel billet flywheel, and a Tick Performance adjustable clutch master cylinder. From my research, I've found that the OEM pressure plates are "self adjusting" but they have a reputation for the adjuster sticking. The Tick Performance master cylinder has a Tilton m/c that's 7/8" bore compared to OEM 3/4" plus it's adjustable. This means there's more fluid to move the clutch to full release which is good (and needed) since the aftermarket pressure plate isn't "self adjusting".

I could go for a dual disc setup but I'm not convinced that's what I want or need.

Also, since I have to buy a bellhousing anyway, I'm planning on springing for a Quick Time scattershield bellhousing.

I'd sure like to hear any comments, suggestions, or real world experience on any of these items.
                          Last edited by Rick_L; 08-17-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Registered Member
                            • Sep 2013

Rick, I assume you mean oil pan. The Holley 302-1 is topnotch. We had to modify the windage tray on the ls2 but no big deal it was in instructions just fyi. Very nice product compared to my modified S&P on my cutlass.

Comment

Registered Member
                              • Sep 2013

Rick very interested in A/C bracket. I was considering the Holley mount I heard it was nice and oem style wanted to use it on my LS2 if possible.

Comment

Working...