Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one running a 7 quart oil pan....

Member #:226

Question Any one running a 7 quart oil pan....

on the street with a SBC engine? If so whose did you use? Any problems with installation and/or clearance issues?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Why do you think you need a 7 quart pan?

If your car is lowered, you don't want a deep pan. There are quite a few good pans out there that aren't excessively deep.

Just always felt that the larger pans could be better for engine life...Mercedes uses 2 gallon plus the filter oil pans on even their 4 cylinder engines to good advantage....a maintained Benz motor will live 500,000 miles easily.

Back in the Ford flathead days, Ford found that just using an oil filter cut down on engine wear over 60%. Adding one extra quart capacity to the pan added 20% or more to engine life. Ya gotta remember that Ford Flathead engine life was about 40,000 miles at the start of WWII. All engine manufacturers really scrambled to get engines to last longer for the war effort. I was able to read a bunch of those engineering reports at one time. Guess I have been tainted by those reports since.

Registered Member

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to guide you to the right decision. You don't want a gasser pan unless you are building one. There's pans out there with bat wings and mini bat wings for instance. 50 years ago, the 62 Corvette pan that came on the 340 and 360 hp engines was 5 quart capacity (+1 quart for the filter) and would fit a 55-57, not have clearance issues and didn't hang low. That's the kind of pan you need. There are Moroso and Milodon pans that do this.

Member #:115
    I don't see how you can correlate adding an oil filter to a larger oil pan. I also don't see how adding volume does anything, except maybe cool the engine better. But if your cooling system is good, that shouldn't really matter. All the oil goes through the filter, so it all gets cleaned. What's the theory behind more volume increasing engine life?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Don't know the theory. Read the results long ago. Do understand dilution....as applied to pharmacy.

Member #:115
    I think the only benefit of a large capacity oilpan is in racing, where high RPM use keeps a lot of oil up inside the engine, and risks running the pan dry. I just don't see a benefit for street use. It just costs more to fill it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Your comment about "oil in top end" and "pumping the pan dry" is a really old myth that has been debunked many times.

You can't even do that with "high volume" pumps. Just the same, high volume pumps are for the most part unnecessary. Remember two things: 1. The oil pump flows more oil the faster it turns, so high rpm engines are self compensating in this regard. 2. Once the pump's relief valve opens (because the pressure setting has been reached), the flow just dumps through the relief valve. It doesn't make it to the top end, not even the lower end.

I don't see that more oil has a whole lot to do with temperature, except in drag racing where the full power run is short, and more oil takes longer to increase temperature. On anything else it's just how long it takes to get to a steady temperature. There's almost no heat transfer from the pan walls to the surrounding air. As a minimum, airflow is needed for that.

The only other thing about more oil capacity is that it takes longer to contaminate and break down the oil. It might make more sense to just change the oil more often. You can buy a lot of oil for what a fancy pan costs, especially if it's a car that doesn't rack up a lot of miles.

Don't believe in the super duper trick of the week oil pumps. A blueprinted stocker that has smoothed internal passages will do nicely, thank you. However, there is a critical concentration juncture before a chemical really starts off, and that is where volume comes into play. Might just run a remote oil filter system with two oil filters -- that would increase volume & filtering ability.

Member #:3
    Here is what I used for my super Gas Camaro , its a remote oil filter bolts on where the filter goes on the block , I used a Freightliner oil filter for more Oil
    Attached Images Attached Images

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast