Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 55 chevy power steering

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    Don't mean to bomb this post but I'm new at this so forgive me. My after market power steering box is moving away from the frame bolts, does anyone have any solutions for this? thanks.

Member #:3217
    The steering box itself should NOT move (relative to the frame) IF it is properly bolted to the frame... Check the bolts/nuts and make sure they are tightened securely.. It should have 3 long bolts securing it to the frame...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What kind of steering box? I have seen a very bad installation of the original old school way to install a 605 box, where the box moved around a bunch - and was a huge hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    What kind of steering box? I have seen a very bad installation of the original old school way to install a 605 box, where the box moved around a bunch - and was a huge hazard.
    You're probably referring to the 'first/original' method of cutting the lower part of the original box and 'integrating' with the base 605 box'?? I can't recall how they mechanically coupled the upper part of the box to the lower part of the box (original steering shaft) and the lower part was the portion attached to the frame. Was the upper part of the box attached to the frame at all? or only via the internal gearing??

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That type of conversion didn't have the upper box connected mechanically to the lower box except through the sector shaft. A correct installation had a bracket welded to the frame, and the box was bolted to it with 2 bolts. If not there, the box would try to rotate with the reaction of the steering, and the rag joint was the only thing restraining it. Some boxes didn't use a welded bracket, but had a plate that picked up the 3 lower bolts and the 2 upper bolts. If any of this came loose, it was a dangerous situation that could fail the rag joint.

THAT is a crappy situation, and perhaps is what the OP here in this thread was complaining about...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12