Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 55 chevy power steering

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    Don't mean to bomb this post but I'm new at this so forgive me. My after market power steering box is moving away from the frame bolts, does anyone have any solutions for this? thanks.

Member #:3217
    The steering box itself should NOT move (relative to the frame) IF it is properly bolted to the frame... Check the bolts/nuts and make sure they are tightened securely.. It should have 3 long bolts securing it to the frame...

Registered Member

Member #:571
    What kind of steering box? I have seen a very bad installation of the original old school way to install a 605 box, where the box moved around a bunch - and was a huge hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    What kind of steering box? I have seen a very bad installation of the original old school way to install a 605 box, where the box moved around a bunch - and was a huge hazard.
    You're probably referring to the 'first/original' method of cutting the lower part of the original box and 'integrating' with the base 605 box'?? I can't recall how they mechanically coupled the upper part of the box to the lower part of the box (original steering shaft) and the lower part was the portion attached to the frame. Was the upper part of the box attached to the frame at all? or only via the internal gearing??

Registered Member

Member #:571
    That type of conversion didn't have the upper box connected mechanically to the lower box except through the sector shaft. A correct installation had a bracket welded to the frame, and the box was bolted to it with 2 bolts. If not there, the box would try to rotate with the reaction of the steering, and the rag joint was the only thing restraining it. Some boxes didn't use a welded bracket, but had a plate that picked up the 3 lower bolts and the 2 upper bolts. If any of this came loose, it was a dangerous situation that could fail the rag joint.

THAT is a crappy situation, and perhaps is what the OP here in this thread was complaining about...

Registered Member

BamaNomad sorry for my late response but I didn't get any notification. The guy I bought it from just ran the column straight through the firewall. I also noticed today that the two piece frame has split a little. Any suggestions about this? In this area it is next to impossible to find anyone who will work on it. Thanks so much.

Registered Member

Rick_L I was told it is a CPP500 box but from what I've seen it isn't. It has a silver or chrome (dull sort of) ring around the top of what I think is the pump the 500's I've looked at online doesn't. I really need to get this fixed because it worries me. I noticed today that the frame is split, would that let it flex this much? Can a piece of reinforcement be welded to it to make it more secure if this is the problem? From what you've said I am starting to think it's because it isn't secured through the firewall. Any suggestions? thanks so much, sorry for the late response I didn't get a notice about it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    The steering box itself should NOT move (relative to the frame) IF it is properly bolted to the frame... Check the bolts/nuts and make sure they are tightened securely.. It should have 3 long bolts securing it to the frame...
    Yes it does have the three bolts running through the frame and when I checked them they seemed secure but as I said below it has not been secured to the firewall it (the column) just comes through it.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiej View Post
    Rick_L I was told it is a CPP500 box but from what I've seen it isn't. It has a silver or chrome (dull sort of) ring around the top of what I think is the pump the 500's I've looked at online doesn't. I really need to get this fixed because it worries me. I noticed today that the frame is split, would that let it flex this much? Can a piece of reinforcement be welded to it to make it more secure if this is the problem? From what you've said I am starting to think it's because it isn't secured through the firewall. Any suggestions? thanks so much, sorry for the late response I didn't get a notice about it.
    If it has an dull aluminum top round held in place with a snap ring its a 605 box. The fix for those is a 500 box. They were junk in their OEM 78 Malibu application even worse when customized for other applications.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast