Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 55 chevy power steering

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    You're probably referring to the 'first/original' method of cutting the lower part of the original box and 'integrating' with the base 605 box'?? I can't recall how they mechanically coupled the upper part of the box to the lower part of the box (original steering shaft) and the lower part was the portion attached to the frame. Was the upper part of the box attached to the frame at all? or only via the internal gearing??

The guy I got it from just removed the stock steering box and "tried" to install what appears to be a 605 box in it's place but it has no support at the firewall side for the column would this cause this movement? It is attached to the frame with three long bolts but it pulls away from the frame. From the inside of the car he has a shim under the column which moves when the wheel is turned.

Member #:3217
    If it's the steering wheel/column that is 'moving around', it probably doesn't have the necessary support ... If it couple by a rag joint to the steering gear, then you will need firm support for the column both at the dash, and as it goes thru the firewall... With those two points of support, the column should be fixed in position...

Registered Member

Member #:3480
    Thanks markm I'll try that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234