Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Removing "bondo"

Registered Member

Member #:229

Removing "bondo"

How do you guys remove body filler? There seems to be 3 kinds on mine: one is "peach" and flakes off pretty easy, one is black and is a PITA, and another is gray and is in between.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Registered Member

Also, removing paint from interior panels - like the trunk, etc - use aircraft stripper?
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:115
    Hi Brian,

In my experience it's usually easiest to grind the body filler off with a 36 grit disc, then if there's any left that you can't grind off I use aircraft stripper to remove it. I sandblasted basically the entire interior of my Nomad with fine sand. You really don't need to worry too much about warpage of the interior panels, but I would still be a little careful and not be too aggressive.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let the sand hit the inside of the outer panels. They will warp. I ended up with a slight dip just in front of my hood brace because the sand hit the backside of my hood while I was blasting the brace. I never thought that could happen with such minimal blasting, but it did. See my pic that shows the underside of the hood. The sand barely hit it. I should have put a piece of sheetmetal there to protect it. This also happened at the edge of my fender braces, and my roof brace, but it was very slight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Thanks. I've been grinding it so far. It's a dusty mess!

Guess I need to buy a sand blaster...
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:755
    The two best methods I know of are:
    1. Let me put the bondo in, it always falls out later! (not the best plan)
    2. A little heat. I have heated the metal up and it makes bondo fall off. A propane torch works good. If it's in an area you can't heat up, grid away...

Member #:230
    I have used a heat gun in some instances, along with a scraper and it works well, i can not say this is the best practice but it does work.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member Busted Knuckles's Avatar

Member #:1491
    I have a Porter Cable vac sander I purchased to pain t a customers boat a few years back. It seems the boating community is very Eco-conscious. I started sanding the hull of this behemoth with a 8"d/a sander and you owuld have thought I set a puppy on fire. I had to stop work and go buy this setup that has a vacuum that hooks up to an electric d/a and you plug the d/a into the vacuum and plug the vacuum in to the wall of course (duh) when you turn the d/a on it starts the vacuum there is a rubber boot around the base of the d/a pad. It actually works very well no more bondo dust cloud in the shop followed by a weeks worth of cleaning