Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best TRI-5 Cooling System

Member #:1653

Best TRI-5 Cooling System

Opinions of the best system out there - brand you chose - features you like - features you don't like. Would you buy it again?

Member #:115
    Are you asking about radiators? Not sure what you mean by "cooling system", as that includes more than just a radiator.

Lots of guys have been using PRC radiators. I had them build me a custom one for my car. It's high quality, but I don't know how it cools yet. I'm using an Edelbrock reverse-rotation aluminum water pump and custom made stainless radiator "hoses".
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Laszlo, my interest lies with the full system to include mount for radiator, fans (size), radiator and catch cans along with any other additions or complementing items or custom brkts one may have added. Not really concerned with the water pump however certainly that does play a part in the overall unit.

Registered Member

Member #:229
    I'll probably be going with Autorad. Heard good things and they are "local" to me - an hour or so away.
    bakins
    1957 Bel Air Hardtop
    C4 Suspension

Member #:115
    I can't really recommend a full setup, because I built most of mine. I designed and built a custom radiator support, fitted a couple of 12" Derale fans (4000 CFM) and had my custom radiator built by PRC.

I know there are a handful of options out there for a bolt-in complete system, but a lot of it depends on what you want and what you need. For example, if you want the ultimate in cooling, you can probably get everything on the high end and pay top dollar for it. If you only need to cool a stock engine and are just after looks, that's available too. Personally I think the "systems" are way over-priced as some of them are pushing $2000. But I like to build my own stuff to fit, and so I can say nobody else has one.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I agree completely on the"overpriced"!! I like building too Laszlo, but at times, customers want bling and I don't have a sweat shop for polishing so I continue to review other choices made by our hobbyist todetermine the best products to advise the client with and not waste their hardearned dollars. I have also givenconsideration to building a system for the three years and part of what I amseeking here is data to build by or data that may determine it just isn't agood product to make. Market research.

Registered Member

Member #:1636
    hey guys just wandering...... iv seen some of these cars with the custom radiotor covers and it looks great. iv heard that a 97 or a 2010 camaro rad assembly (rad. cond. and fans)will fit.(with some modifying). just thinking if its gonna be covered why not use a oem? would cut cost quite a bit and be easier to to get replacement parts .any ideas?

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    have a "be cool" in my 57. was in it when I got it. looks good and works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:1608
    I have the PRC unit. The most important function cooling...it works. Even in these hot Texas days, no issues. They claim to work just fine on blown BBC with a/c. IdK...my blown stroker SBC with a/c is coming along and will tell you more then. They use heavy gauge wiring, with good terminals. I think there is a good value in the PRC unit vs others...I priced them. I have seen some manufactures that have the cap on the discharge side of the radiator!!! The dislikes for me is the fitment is a little off. I have the full core support ect...the gaps are a little off. If you use the orange anti freeze it will stain your aluminum! They make green antifreeze for aluminum now. I would be from them again.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I have yet to use my PRC, but I do know several that have used one. With a good fan setup, it cools very well. Even in 100º Texas heat.

The typical setup with a PRC is a Spal dual 11" fan.

My setup uses a modified stock radiator support, gen 4 Camaro dual 11" fans, will use a coolant recovery system I'll build - no round tanks - the coolant tank and p/s reservoir will be shaped similar to the radiator tanks and mounted adjacent to them.

When you step up to the custom made supports, that's another league. PRC had lots of problems with theirs fitting early on; it's not an easy job and the way to really make it fit is to build it yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast