Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Converting a 4L80E Transmission from a 4x4 to a 4x2

Registered Member

Member #:532

Converting a 4L80E Transmission from a 4x4 to a 4x2

Anyone ever done this conversion? Other than mechanical or electronic speedo what other options could be considered? Are there different length rear housings or are they all the same? Best place to pick up a housing?

Member #:777
    Best to buy the correct one(2 wd) to start with

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I assume they are like a th350 the unique part is the output shaft which is the first thing that goes in the case when you build one. Buy the correct part to start with.

Member #:115
    Unless you have access to a transmission shop with lots of spare parts laying around, I agree with the other guys. It's too much of a PITA to try to convert the tailshaft and housing. I'd go look for one from a 2WD.

I once bought a T56 transaxle out of a C5 Vette with the idea of converting it to a normal 6-speed. It's still sitting in my shop.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Unless you have access to a transmission shop with lots of spare parts laying around, I agree with the other guys. It's too much of a PITA to try to convert the tailshaft and housing. I'd go look for one from a 2WD.

I once bought a T56 transaxle out of a C5 Vette with the idea of converting it to a normal 6-speed. It's still sitting in my shop.
    I know what you mean,my garage is 1/2 full of not finished great ideas! I think since I plan to overhaul it anyway it won't be a big deal to change. From what I can tell its only the rear shaft and housing and depending on the year model there are some minor provisions for lubing the rear housing bushing. Luckily around here there are more people looking for the 4x4 version than the 4x2 and I have already had one shop offer to trade cores with me for free. Since mine is ok functionally I probably will just freshen it & change it over and keep it. Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Bluegrass Trifive; 12-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.